Solved

Any meaningful gains in gaming performance for >16GB & >3200Mhz

So long story short I did a custom PC build by parts over the course of the year. Some of the parts were DoA including motherboard, PSU, and 1 of the 2 8GB modules. So my memory configuration ends up being G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 3200mhz and this just about is the first component I purchased which was boxing day 2016 so I believe I am too late for an RMA. My thoughts are to just buy more RAM at some point to resolve this, I am impressed with my PC's performance compared to my 2011 laptop so I don't mind too much. Everything works well even on 4K except for performance loss/crashes which start after somewhere around 1-3GB in-game for Fallout 4. But other games like GTA V appear to work perfectly even on an 8GB system and set to 4K, though I didn't bother with settings since everything looked great right away. So I want to get more RAM but don't necessarily need to get more immediately. I might get a 960 EVO first since Fallout 4 benefited greatly from being installed on 850 EVO, instant loading on vanilla and still like <15 seconds per loading screen with a ton of mods plus greatly mitigating stuttering. With the higher read/write values of a 960 EVO I think it may give me flawless performance in terms of instant loading and virtually no stuttering.

It turns out my configuration of RAM has gone up in price, I paid about $110CAD last year & now they are listed for $216. I think I can get G Skill Trident Z which I believe is their higher tier model at a similar price and maybe even a little bit faster. So now I'm thinking about possibly going more for more high end ram, it seems to me like it might be a little bit like GPUs where you get what you're paying for unless you go for something extreme like a Titan.


. I'm currently wondering about possibly going 32GB and/or a higher speed.

So my question is: Are there meaningful gains in gaming performance to be had by going for say 32GB DDR4 @ 3800mhz vs what I originally intended which was 16GB DDR4@ 3200mhz and is it reasonable to DDR4 itself to remain viable for a long time?

I'm a bit concerned about DDR5 supposed to be coming soon especially since the rest of my stuff should be great for good while. GTX 1080, i7-7700, 850 EVO.
Reply to Kobe Eveleigh
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about meaningful gains gaming performance 16gb 3200mhz
  1. Best answer
    for gaming, no meaningful difference in performance. Intel systems are less affected by ram speeds, where as Ryzen can benefit some what. So IMO there's no point in spending that dosh on ram that looks great, and gives bragging rights, when theres no real performance increase.

    16gb is perfect for a good gmaing system now. Yes 8gbs will get by, and for the majority of games will work fine. Some games like BF1 an make use of more than 8gbs. When I run it on Ultra at 1080p my ram usage is 6.9gbs, so having the extra 8 (16gbs total) allows a little headroom.

    Don't be worried about DDR5 just yet. Will be a while before that happens. And regardless, with your current set up you wouldn't be able to make use of it anyway. YOu would need to change your mobo, and most likely CPU too.
    Reply to keith12
  2. keith12 said:
    for gaming, no meaningful difference in performance. Intel systems are less affected by ram speeds, where as Ryzen can benefit some what. So IMO there's no point in spending that dosh on ram that looks great, and gives bragging rights, when theres no real performance increase.

    16gb is perfect for a good gmaing system now. Yes 8gbs will get by, and for the majority of games will work fine. Some games like BF1 an make use of more than 8gbs. When I run it on Ultra at 1080p my ram usage is 6.9gbs, so having the extra 8 (16gbs total) allows a little headroom.

    Ok I think I will aim for 16gb. Does it work to add non-uniform RAM onto my system alongside my current 8GB? I did find 8GB of same model/speed/etc but it's actually 2x4GB. Can you pair an 8gb with 2 4gb? Or better to just buy a 16gb set?

    For troublesome games I might get PUBG sometime.

    This does make things more straightforward. I'll instead put the cash I would have used on something like TridentZ instead towards a good 2nd SSD.

    keith12 said:
    Don't be worried about DDR5 just yet. Will be a while before that happens. And regardless, with your current set up you wouldn't be able to make use of it anyway. YOu would need to change your mobo, and most likely CPU too.

    Ok so this is probably still something in the distant future like probably 2020's? I doubt my CPU would be obsolete very soon, I'd be surprised if it's falling way behind as early as next year. My current plan is to change mobo/CPU/maybe GPU when TES VI/Fallout 5/next similar game by Bethesda is out. There are usually a fair number of years in between their releases so I'm guessing their next big open world game will be out in 2020/2019. If it's out in 2018/2019 I expect my system may still do okay, Nvidia Volta would be out but of course not everyone will immediately buy one.
    Reply to Kobe Eveleigh
  3. Kobe Eveleigh said:
    keith12 said:
    for gaming, no meaningful difference in performance. Intel systems are less affected by ram speeds, where as Ryzen can benefit some what. So IMO there's no point in spending that dosh on ram that looks great, and gives bragging rights, when theres no real performance increase.

    16gb is perfect for a good gmaing system now. Yes 8gbs will get by, and for the majority of games will work fine. Some games like BF1 an make use of more than 8gbs. When I run it on Ultra at 1080p my ram usage is 6.9gbs, so having the extra 8 (16gbs total) allows a little headroom.

    Ok I think I will aim for 16gb. Does it work to add non-uniform RAM onto my system alongside my current 8GB? I did find 8GB of same model/speed/etc but it's actually 2x4GB. Can you pair an 8gb with 2 4gb? Or better to just buy a 16gb set?

    For troublesome games I might get PUBG sometime.

    This does make things more straightforward. I'll instead put the cash I would have used on something like TridentZ instead towards a good 2nd SSD.

    keith12 said:
    Don't be worried about DDR5 just yet. Will be a while before that happens. And regardless, with your current set up you wouldn't be able to make use of it anyway. YOu would need to change your mobo, and most likely CPU too.

    Ok so this is probably still something in the distant future like probably 2020's? I doubt my CPU would be obsolete very soon, I'd be surprised if it's falling way behind as early as next year. My current plan is to change mobo/CPU/maybe GPU when TES VI/Fallout 5/next similar game by Bethesda is out. There are usually a fair number of years in between their releases so I'm guessing their next big open world game will be out in 2020/2019. If it's out in 2018/2019 I expect my system may still do okay, Nvidia Volta would be out but of course not everyone will immediately buy one.


    well on the ram thing first. Its never advisable to mix modules. In theory you can, but it can be a real headache to get mixed DIMMS to work together. Even if they are the same timings etc, they may have different memory chips or slightly diffrerent voltage requirements. So sometimes, they may not even work together. The advise is always to buy a matched kit(2 x) and then you can sell your current memory to offset the cost.

    With DDR5, it prob won't be out for a year or two, and even then it takes a year or so for new ram to be widely adopted. So yes, maybe in a couple of years it might be something to consider for a newer system, but for now it's not relevant.
    Reply to keith12
  4. Great to know thanks! I wish I could choose both posts as solution & give you 2 as both were quite helpful. I will just buy a new 16GB DDR 4 module probably 3200 mhz or similar.
    Reply to Kobe Eveleigh
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Performance