Replaced my motherboard and now there's no display from GPU or MOBO.


So, my primary work computer that I built only a few years back started to die. It started freezing up seemingly at random every month or so, then every week, and so on. No BSOD or anything, just a complete lockup. Upon restarting the machine, it would get stuck in a boot loop before restarting and working normally for a while. Eventually, it wouldn't get past the boot loop and then shortly after wouldn't start at all.

I replaced the PSU, but the computer still wouldn't start. I plugged in a different processor, tested the ram, etc.. No progress. I ordered a new motherboard and replaced the old one.

Now, the computer does start (though it does seem to boot loop every minute or so) and everything appears to be running but I can't get a display of any kind. Not out of the motherboard's VGA or DVI port or out of the DVI on the GPU. I plugged in a different GPU and still get nothing. I tried a few different monitors and cables, but still nothing.

All the fans appear to be running (The GPU fans start with the computer, but they don't spin long. I think this is normal. All the lights on the card are on). I pulled all the ram out and got the motherboard speaker to beep 3 times. I tried booting with only 1 stick of ram, no more beeps but still no display (I tried each ram stick).


Original: SeaSonic USA X-850 (SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3)
Replacement: CORSAIR RMi Series RM750i 750W 80 PLUS GOLD
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150
Original: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK LGA 1150 Intel Z97
Replacement: ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Fatal1ty Z97 Killer LGA 1150 Intel Z97
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Graphics Card
Test Card:PNY GeForce GT 720 VCGGT7201D3LXPB 1GB 64-Bit DDR3


I ordered this 4 digit PCI motherboard tester. With either 1 stick in the primary slot or all ram inserted, I get error 20 1F. With no ram at all I get 3 beeps, and the error code 53 FE. Searching on google I found this thread. This lead me to start wondering if there might be a BIOS conflict going on. AsRock clearly states that my i7-4790K is supported by the current motherboard as of BIOS P1.30 on their site here. I also tried an i3-4170 that I had lying around with the same results (computer runs, but no display of any kind). According to AsRock the i3-4170 has been supported since BIOS P1.90. The sticker on each of my motherboard's BIOS chips says P2.20.

So, it shouldn't be an issue between the CPU and the BIOS...right? If the CMOS is reset or the battery removed, will the BIOS revert back to an older version? Because at this point It seems like it's either that, or this motherboard is defective in some other respect. Any thoughts or ideas?
Reply to MouseBerry
1 answer Last reply
More about replaced motherboard display gpu mobo
  1. In the end, it turns out I was dealing with multiple intermittent problems all at the same time. The original motherboard I started with did indeed die, but the processor was also faulty/dying, it seems.

    I was under the impression that a faulty processor would simply not boot, period. That if it was defective, I wouldn't even be able to reach the BIOS. This was correct about 75% of the time, but the other 25% of the time it would boot to the BIOS. This intermittent success lead to me switching things out, getting the PC to boot and then thinking i'd found the issue. In reality, the processor was faulty throughout this entire process. Once I replaced the motherboard AND the processor, it now boots and makes it to the BIOS every time with no issues.

    The truly unfortunate and bizarre thing here though is that my primary SSD in the PC is now dead also. Just, randomly. So all this work and money attempting to preserve my work setup was totally in vain as I now have to setup all my software again from scratch.

    MOBO, CPU and also the SSD? I mean... What are the odds? I must be cursed.
    Reply to MouseBerry
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

GPUs Support Computers Displays Motherboards