Solved

Not sure what component in my PC is causing this noise.

Ever since purchasing my computer from PCSpecialist, it's always been very loud. I've attempted to use SpeedFan to control my fan speed, but even after changing all of my fans to "software controlled" it did nothing. Then, I changed the speeds of my fans in my motherboard BIOS.

While that seems to have reduced the noise somewhat, there's still a loud whirring sound on top of my fans, and I'm not sure what part is causing it. Here's a recording of my PC making that noise:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s03QRiUVLOin

This isn't during anything intensive like playing a game, nor does it get any louder when I do so. It's just always at that volume whenever I'm doing anything. Just wondering if anyone knows what part is causing this, and if I can make it any quieter, preferably without having to invest in any new parts.

Here are my PC specs:

Case
COOLERMASTER CM690 III ADVANCED CASE (GREEN)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4690K (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z97-P: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ R9 390 - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 12, Eyefinity
1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX SAVAGE SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 360MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Reply to ratatoskr
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about component causing noise
  1. That's high speed fan noise. Could be cpu cooler, case fans, gpu or case fans.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  2. use hwinfo to check fan speed and temp on sensor page also you have fans in as exhaust and no fan to take fresh air in from front panel report the result of fan speed readings .
    Reply to scout_03
  3. scout_03 said:
    use hwinfo to check fan speed and temp on sensor page also you have fans in as exhaust and no fan to take fresh air in from front panel report the result of fan speed readings .


    CPU Temp and Fan Speed:
    https://imgur.com/xlxlvOC

    GPU Temp and Fan Speed:
    https://imgur.com/3OabcdZ

    GPU fan speed seems to be unusually fast, so I guess that's the problem. Is there any way to slow that down?
    Reply to ratatoskr
  4. those gpu temp are on idle or load seams also that all others run slow from system remove the gpu and see if this sound still on when you use onboard .
    Reply to scout_03
  5. scout_03 said:
    those gpu temp are on idle or load seams also that all others run slow from system remove the gpu and see if this sound still on when you use onboard .

    All of the temps are on idle. The other fans are running slow because I set them to silent in my motherboard BIOS settings, but the computer is still quite loud.
    Reply to ratatoskr
  6. set them back to normal and this look like a off balance fan so that why i did ask you to use the internal and remove gpu could be is fan .
    Reply to scout_03
  7. scout_03 said:
    set them back to normal and this look like a off balance fan so that why i did ask you to use the internal and remove gpu could be is fan .

    Didn't need to remove GPU, I was definitely wrong. Turned off GPU fan entirely with MSI Afterburner and my computer is still loud, so it has to be something else.
    Reply to ratatoskr
  8. Gpu fan speed was normalish, they'll spin up @3k or better depending on the fan/card.
    It's almost like you have fans in direct competition with each other, like you have the rear fan set as intake blowing directly into the path of the cpu cooler fan.
    I have a CM 690 II Advanced, and for a case that's all mesh front/top and side, it's a remarkably quiet case since it has such terrific airflow capabilities the fans can run dead slow and still move a ton of air. I'd also check visually that there's no dirt on the fan blades themselves, not only can that create imbalance and severely destroy the life of the bearings, but will also create a ton of noise at the leading edges. Prime suspect would be the 200mm intake, while the motor itself is only at 6-700rpm, by the time you get to the outside leading corner, that blade tip is approaching the speed of sound.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  9. Karadjgne said:
    Gpu fan speed was normalish, they'll spin up @3k or better depending on the fan/card.
    It's almost like you have fans in direct competition with each other, like you have the rear fan set as intake blowing directly into the path of the cpu cooler fan.
    I have a CM 690 II Advanced, and for a case that's all mesh front/top and side, it's a remarkably quiet case since it has such terrific airflow capabilities the fans can run dead slow and still move a ton of air. I'd also check visually that there's no dirt on the fan blades themselves, not only can that create imbalance and severely destroy the life of the bearings, but will also create a ton of noise at the leading edges. Prime suspect would be the 200mm intake, while the motor itself is only at 6-700rpm, by the time you get to the outside leading corner, that blade tip is approaching the speed of sound.

    Is there any way to move the fans around to remove the noise somewhat?
    Reply to ratatoskr
  10. Depends on exactly what fans you have, where they are, and what orientation.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  11. could you put the top one in the front panel as intake and keep back one as exhaust .
    Reply to scout_03
  12. Should be a 200mm intake, 120mm rear exhaust, 120mm top rear exhaust, if it's the 690 III. If it's the 690 II Advanced, that's a 140mm led front intake and 120mm top/rear exhausts. Either way, front intake back exhaust.
    If the fans all check as applicable, what I'd do is unplug them one at a time, don't have to remove, just unplug the header. If it's case fan noise, this will determine exactly where as the noisy fan will quit spinning. If the noise persists, that leaves the gpu and cpu fans or possibly the hdd or psu.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  13. Karadjgne said:
    Should be a 200mm intake, 120mm rear exhaust, 120mm top rear exhaust, if it's the 690 III. If it's the 690 II Advanced, that's a 140mm led front intake and 120mm top/rear exhausts. Either way, front intake back exhaust.
    If the fans all check as applicable, what I'd do is unplug them one at a time, don't have to remove, just unplug the header. If it's case fan noise, this will determine exactly where as the noisy fan will quit spinning. If the noise persists, that leaves the gpu and cpu fans or possibly the hdd or psu.

    Thanks so much for this advice. I've determined that it's the two fans at the top of my case that are causing all the noise, after unplugging them it's practically silent. So what should I do now? Even without them all all of my parts are at regular, safe temperatures, but I'm guessing that it isn't safe to just leave them off.
    Reply to ratatoskr
  14. take them of case and plug one of them in a board header having the fan spinning and see if you have the sound do the same for both fans .
    Reply to scout_03
  15. Replace the fans with quality fans, either fluid (FDB) or ball bearing would be best. The fans that you have there now are probably cheaper sleeve bearing, which do not do well for very long upside down horizontal, but work great vertical. Phanteks S are top line performance fans at a very reasonable price and are extremely quiet.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  16. Karadjgne said:
    Replace the fans with quality fans, either fluid (FDB) or ball bearing would be best. The fans that you have there now are probably cheaper sleeve bearing, which do not do well for very long upside down horizontal, but work great vertical. Phanteks S are top line performance fans at a very reasonable price and are extremely quiet.

    Sounds fantastic. I can't find the Phanteks S though. Do you have an amazon/newegg link?
    Reply to ratatoskr
  17. Best answer
    Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($20.97 @ Newegg)
    Case Fan: Phanteks - PH-F140SP_BK 82.1 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Case Fan: Phanteks - PH-F120SP_WLED 54.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Case Fan: Phanteks - PH-F140SP_BBK 82.1 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    The have other color leds or plain.
    Reply to Karadjgne
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

GPU Fan CPUs Components