Solved

Please help choosing a quiet, affordable power supply

Hello all,
I currently have an Intel Pentium G4560 and GTX 670 in my system. It seems that my Seasonic M12ii 520W Bronze EVO Edition is revving its fan during multitasking while gaming. Even just voice chat on Discord causes this behavior.

Please note that I live in the US and would like to spend no more than $50 on a power supply for such a basic computer. I can add shipping on that, but please no more than $50 for the unit.

Is this because this is a 550W unit and I'm at a total system wattage of almost 300W, or is it because it has a loud fan curve?

Would replacing the unit with a Corsair CX550 (2017) solve the issue? I know this is a basic unit, but it's on sale on Newegg.

Thanks to all that offer their advice,

Darren
Reply to weberdarren97
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about choosing quiet affordable power supply
  1. Hey darren,

    Try to isolate the sound, are you sure its from your psu? If its a ratteling noise It can be a bad bearing(I dont know what revving means).
    I don't know if rebates count otherwise this is a nice psu

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($46.89 @ Newegg)
    Total: $46.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-29 15:24 EDT-0400
    Reply to superninja12
  2. superninja12 said:
    Hey darren,

    Try to isolate the sound, are you sure its from your psu? If its a ratteling noise It can be a bad bearing(I dont know what revving means).
    I don't know if rebates count otherwise this is a nice psu

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($46.89 @ Newegg)
    Total: $46.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-29 15:24 EDT-0400


    Hey thanks for the answer mate.

    The noise is coming from the power supply, not case fans or coolers.

    By revving, I meant that the fan picks up speed until it's running loud. Like when you depress the gas pedal in a car.

    Doesn't sound like bad bearings, just a loud fan.
    Reply to weberdarren97
  3. Ooh alright,

    I would rma your poweruspply, because that failure falls under warranty..
    In the meantime I recommand you that seasonic psu or this one :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $24.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-29 15:35 EDT-0400
    Reply to superninja12
  4. superninja12 said:
    Ooh alright,

    I would rma your poweruspply, because that failure falls under warranty..
    In the meantime I recommand you that seasonic psu or this one :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $24.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-29 15:35 EDT-0400


    That Corsair one was actually the one I was looking at, but may I ask why you have PCPartPicker set to subtract mail in rebates from the price? It can take months to get that money back. I pay $45, then a few months later get $20 back. In terms of having the money to buy it, it's $45.
    Reply to weberdarren97
  5. Best answer
    Im not from a country that doesnt use rebates, I tought It was a discount coupon you could use for your next purchase.
    Anyways I stick my recommandation.

    Im quite sure you know this but I wouldnt go for the s12ii ,its quite noisy ( geluidstest= soundtest ca =approx and na= after . https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/5926/11/seasonic-s12ii-v2-520w--620w-review-met-nieuwe-fan-geluidsproductie
    So I don think thats the unit you should consider if you had that in mind :)

    sorry for the rebates.
    Reply to superninja12
  6. superninja12 said:
    Im not from a country that doesnt use rebates, I tought It was a discount coupon you could use for your next purchase.
    Anyways I stick my recommandation.

    Im quite sure you know this but I wouldnt go for the s12ii ,its quite noisy ( geluidstest= soundtest ca =approx and na= after . https://nl.hardware.info/reviews/5926/11/seasonic-s12ii-v2-520w--620w-review-met-nieuwe-fan-geluidsproductie
    So I don think thats the unit you should consider if you had that in mind :)

    sorry for the rebates.


    I didn't even consider S12ii. It's pretty basic and not modular. Actually, I'm not even sure if it's Haswell sleep state compatible or not. I know the M21ii EVO is, but that might be the EVO in the name, I'm not sure.
    Reply to weberdarren97
  7. anyways, good luck with your decision :)
    I ran out of options to help you :D
    Reply to superninja12
  8. superninja12 said:
    anyways, good luck with your decision :)
    I ran out of options to help you :D


    Hey no prob mate, thanks for helping.

    I already had the idea to get the Corsair unit. I just posted the thread to make sure nobody knowledgeable thought it was a bad idea.
    Reply to weberdarren97
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Fan Power Supplies Graphics Cards Cooling CPUs