Solved

Difference: Samsung 960 EVO m.2 MZ-V6E250BW vs. MZ-V6E250B

What's the difference between the B and the BW for the Samsung 960 EVO m.2? MZ-V6E250BW and MZ-V6E250B
Reply to chinitoh
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about difference samsung 960 evo v6e250bw v6e250b
  1. The BW is the Samsung EVO PRO and the B is for the Samsung EVO, the Samsung EVO PRO is slightly faster than the Samsung EVO non pro. The big difference between these drives is that Samsung is using 2bit MLC on the PRO and 3bit TLC on the EVO.
    Reply to YoAndy
  2. YoAndy said:
    The BW is the Samsung EVO PRO and the B is for the Samsung EVO, the Samsung EVO PRO is slightly faster than the Samsung EVO non pro. The big difference between these drives is that Samsung is using 2bit MLC on the PRO and 3bit TLC on the EVO.


    I had a feeling it was the pro because it was $100 more on newegg. They just had their descriptions wrong. Thank you sir!
    Reply to chinitoh
  3. chinitoh said:
    YoAndy said:
    The BW is the Samsung EVO PRO and the B is for the Samsung EVO, the Samsung EVO PRO is slightly faster than the Samsung EVO non pro. The big difference between these drives is that Samsung is using 2bit MLC on the PRO and 3bit TLC on the EVO.


    I had a feeling it was the pro because it was $100 more on newegg. They just had their descriptions wrong. Thank you sir!


    You are welcome.
    Reply to YoAndy
  4. YoAndy said:
    chinitoh said:
    YoAndy said:
    The BW is the Samsung EVO PRO and the B is for the Samsung EVO, the Samsung EVO PRO is slightly faster than the Samsung EVO non pro. The big difference between these drives is that Samsung is using 2bit MLC on the PRO and 3bit TLC on the EVO.


    I had a feeling it was the pro because it was $100 more on newegg. They just had their descriptions wrong. Thank you sir!


    You are welcome.


    Actually, hold up a second. Doesn't the Pro version start at 512gb? Non pro's are 250gb, 500gb and up. The non pro's have the B and the BW designation. I've been Googling around for it and I find no documentation on the difference other than what newegg is selling and the price difference is what's throwing me off.

    https://imgur.com/a/6Vj2U
    Reply to chinitoh
  5. Best answer
    The part number from the vendor is irrelevant, is really difficult to understand part numbers(vendors sometimes can get them mixed). Despite the part numbers, The real difference is between the Samsung EVO PRO and the Samsung EVO.(the PRO is faster than the EVO)

    Both the 960 Pro and 960 EVO SSDs use the M.2 2280 form factor, NVMe, a Gen.2 PCIe x4 interface and Samsung V-NAND.

    Samsung rate the 960 Pro at 3500 MB/s reading, and 2100 MB/s writing, which makes the SSD one of the fastest options available. As a comparison, the 950 Pro from 2015 clocks in at 2500 MB/s reading, and 1500 MB/s writing. The 960 Pro also manages 440,00 and 360,00 IOPS, reading and writing.

    The speedy SSD is backed up by a 5 year warranty, or up to a massive 1.2 Petabytes written for the 2TB capacity. The 1TB 960 Pro is good for 800 TBW and the 512GB does 400 TBW.


    The 960 Pro is available in 512GB, 1TB, and 2TB capacities - the latter the only consumer SSD available so large. And forget about 128GB or 256GB drives.

    The 2TB will set you back around $1700, while the 1TB costs $900, and the 512GB is $450.

    The 960 EVO plugs one gap in the lineup, with a 250GB model, as well as 500GB and 1TB. The EVO costs $190 for 250GB, $350 for 500GB, and around $680 for 1TB.

    It’s rated at up to 3200 MB/s reading, and from 1900 MB/s down to 1500 MB/s writing, depending on the capacity.

    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/ssd960.html

    https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/11/hands-on-samsung-960-pro-and-960-evo/
    Reply to YoAndy
  6. YoAndy said:
    The part number from the vendor is irrelevant, is really difficult to understand part numbers(vendors sometimes can get them mixed). Despite the part numbers, The real difference is between the Samsung EVO PRO and the Samsung EVO.

    Both the 960 Pro and 960 EVO SSDs use the M.2 2280 form factor, NVMe, a Gen.2 PCIe x4 interface and Samsung V-NAND.

    Samsung rate the 960 Pro at 3500 MB/s reading, and 2100 MB/s writing, which makes the SSD one of the fastest options available. As a comparison, the 950 Pro from 2015 clocks in at 2500 MB/s reading, and 1500 MB/s writing. The 960 Pro also manages 440,00 and 360,00 IOPS, reading and writing.

    The speedy SSD is backed up by a 5 year warranty, or up to a massive 1.2 Petabytes written for the 2TB capacity. The 1TB 960 Pro is good for 800 TBW and the 512GB does 400 TBW.


    The 960 Pro is available in 512GB, 1TB, and 2TB capacities - the latter the only consumer SSD available so large. And forget about 128GB or 256GB drives.

    The 2TB will set you back around $1700, while the 1TB costs $900, and the 512GB is $450.

    The 960 EVO plugs one gap in the lineup, with a 250GB model, as well as 500GB and 1TB. The EVO costs $190 for 250GB, $350 for 500GB, and around $680 for 1TB.

    It’s rated at up to 3200 MB/s reading, and from 1900 MB/s down to 1500 MB/s writing, depending on the capacity.

    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/ssd960.html

    https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/11/hands-on-samsung-960-pro-and-960-evo/


    Yes, but the question wasn't what's the difference between the different samsung models/series - but what's the difference between the part #'s specified - and your answer is wrong. I can't find anything online that backs up your assertion that MZ-V6E250BW refers to the "EVO PRO" (for one, there is no EVO PRO, there is the EVO series and there is the PRO series - both distinct from eachother) while the MZ-V6E250B refers to just the EVO. Quite the contrary, everything I can find shows them both belonging to the SAMSUNG 960 EVO 250GB.

    Sources:
    MZ-V6E250BW used in a comparison and shown to have the same specs as the 960 EVO 250GB:
    https://www.span.com/compare/MZ-V6E250BW-vs-MZ-N5E250BW/59581-48014

    Samsung website page for the 960 EVO 250GB (not pro) with the part# MZ-V6E250BW in the URL:
    https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-960-evo-m-2-250gb-mz-v6e250bw/

    Samsung website listing multiple part #'s for both the 960 EVO and 960 PRO series showing that EVO part #'s start with MZ-V6E while PRO part #'s start with MZ-V6P (E for EVO or P for PRO):
    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/ssd960.html

    NewEgg product pages for both part #'s, both being labelled as the 960 EVO 250GB:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K54C9641&cm_re=960_evo-_-20-147-593-_-Product
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K62A9165&cm_re=960_evo-_-0D9-0009-001X1-_-Product


    NewEgg has both listed with no discernible difference in the product pages, with the MZ-V6E250BW being cheaper than the MZ-V6E250B which would be quite surprising if what you said were correct and newegg was thus selling the 960 PRO for cheaper than the 960 EVO. So now, we are again faced with the initial question....what is the ACTUAL difference between the 960 EVO 250GB MZ-V6E250BW and the 960 EVO 250GB MZ-V6E250B?
    Reply to tlhulse1
  7. tlhulse1 said:
    YoAndy said:
    The part number from the vendor is irrelevant, is really difficult to understand part numbers(vendors sometimes can get them mixed). Despite the part numbers, The real difference is between the Samsung EVO PRO and the Samsung EVO.

    Both the 960 Pro and 960 EVO SSDs use the M.2 2280 form factor, NVMe, a Gen.2 PCIe x4 interface and Samsung V-NAND.

    Samsung rate the 960 Pro at 3500 MB/s reading, and 2100 MB/s writing, which makes the SSD one of the fastest options available. As a comparison, the 950 Pro from 2015 clocks in at 2500 MB/s reading, and 1500 MB/s writing. The 960 Pro also manages 440,00 and 360,00 IOPS, reading and writing.

    The speedy SSD is backed up by a 5 year warranty, or up to a massive 1.2 Petabytes written for the 2TB capacity. The 1TB 960 Pro is good for 800 TBW and the 512GB does 400 TBW.


    The 960 Pro is available in 512GB, 1TB, and 2TB capacities - the latter the only consumer SSD available so large. And forget about 128GB or 256GB drives.

    The 2TB will set you back around $1700, while the 1TB costs $900, and the 512GB is $450.

    The 960 EVO plugs one gap in the lineup, with a 250GB model, as well as 500GB and 1TB. The EVO costs $190 for 250GB, $350 for 500GB, and around $680 for 1TB.

    It’s rated at up to 3200 MB/s reading, and from 1900 MB/s down to 1500 MB/s writing, depending on the capacity.

    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/ssd960.html

    https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/11/hands-on-samsung-960-pro-and-960-evo/


    Yes, but the question wasn't what's the difference between the different samsung models/series - but what's the difference between the part #'s specified - and your answer is wrong. I can't find anything online that backs up your assertion that MZ-V6E250BW refers to the "EVO PRO" (for one, there is no EVO PRO, there is the EVO series and there is the PRO series - both distinct from eachother) while the MZ-V6E250B refers to just the EVO. Quite the contrary, everything I can find shows them both belonging to the SAMSUNG 960 EVO 250GB.

    Sources:
    MZ-V6E250BW used in a comparison and shown to have the same specs as the 960 EVO 250GB:
    https://www.span.com/compare/MZ-V6E250BW-vs-MZ-N5E250BW/59581-48014

    Samsung website page for the 960 EVO 250GB (not pro) with the part# MZ-V6E250BW in the URL:
    https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-960-evo-m-2-250gb-mz-v6e250bw/

    Samsung website listing multiple part #'s for both the 960 EVO and 960 PRO series showing that EVO part #'s start with MZ-V6E while PRO part #'s start with MZ-V6P (E for EVO or P for PRO):
    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/ssd960.html

    NewEgg product pages for both part #'s, both being labelled as the 960 EVO 250GB:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K54C9641&cm_re=960_evo-_-20-147-593-_-Product
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K62A9165&cm_re=960_evo-_-0D9-0009-001X1-_-Product


    NewEgg has both listed with no discernible difference in the product pages, with the MZ-V6E250BW being cheaper than the MZ-V6E250B which would be quite surprising if what you said were correct and newegg was thus selling the 960 PRO for cheaper than the 960 EVO. So now, we are again faced with the initial question....what is the ACTUAL difference between the 960 EVO 250GB MZ-V6E250BW and the 960 EVO 250GB MZ-V6E250B?



    First of all welcome to the forum and don't be calling people wrong without knowing. Second, you obviously have no idea of what you are talking about since you are solely looking for online content to proof other people's point of view, because you obviously don't have one.. .. And third yes you are wrong, because there is a SAMSUNG 960 PRO AND A SAMSUNG 960 EVO.... Instead of calling me wrong you should have looked at my links that I provided from SAMSUNG itself where you can actually see the Specs for both the 960 EVO and the 960 PRO. Click on the link below Look at the giant pictures of the SAMSUNG 960 PRO and Play the giant video.. and look at the specs for both the EVO and the PRO..

    Have a great day ;)

    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/ssd960.html
    Reply to YoAndy
  8. From the part numbers in your first post...those are the exact same drive. The SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB


    The price difference?
    One is sold and shipped by Newegg, the other by a third party.




    It is the exact same EVO drive. Neither is Pro.
    Reply to USAFRet
  9. From the part numbers in your first post...those are the exact same drive. The SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB


    The price difference?
    One is sold and shipped by Newegg, the other by a third party.




    Like I said on my previous posts part numbers are irrelevant the big difference is between the EVO and the PRO(the pro is faster).. Part numbers can get mixed up by vendors, most times they make no sense and different vendors could use different numbers.. For example the SAMSUNG 960 PRO before the storage capacity always should have a P (for PRO) in their model number instead of an E for the EVO.. And Samsung doesn't use a B or BW on their model numbers those numbers are used by vendors only. All 960 evos M.2's are the same and all the 960 PRO's are the same of course with different storage capacity..
    Reply to YoAndy
  10. Yes, there is an obvious difference between the EVO and the Pro.
    But since both of those drives at Newegg are apparently 250GB drives, one of them cannot be a Pro. Hence, both EVO.
    Reply to USAFRet
  11. Yeah I understand.
    Reply to YoAndy
  12. USAFRet said:
    From the part numbers in your first post...those are the exact same drive. The SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB


    The price difference?
    One is sold and shipped by Newegg, the other by a third party.




    It is the exact same EVO drive. Neither is Pro.


    Neither is a pro...There may be no difference other than price. However, The Pro series uses MLC memory. The EVO uses TLC. Newegg says the MZ-V6E250B uses MLC http://. The MZ-V6E250BW doesn't. http:// Odd, because the PRO series doesn't come in a 250GB size. There is no reference on Samsung website about different 250GB EVO's. Probably Newegg (or newegg seller) misinformation. Or perhaps a better made EVO?? (MLC memory lasts longer). Who knows. I would be upset paying more for a SSD because it is supposed to be MLC and getting the standard TLC that's available for less.
    Reply to shafted
  13. I never said any of those part numbers where a pro model
    Reply to YoAndy
  14. YoAndy said:
    The BW is the Samsung EVO PRO and the B is for the Samsung EVO, the Samsung EVO PRO is slightly faster than the Samsung EVO non pro. The big difference between these drives is that Samsung is using 2bit MLC on the PRO and 3bit TLC on the EVO.


    YoAndy said:
    I never said any of those part numbers where a pro model


    hmmmm...
    Reply to USAFRet
  15. USAFRet said:
    YoAndy said:
    The BW is the Samsung EVO PRO and the B is for the Samsung EVO, the Samsung EVO PRO is slightly faster than the Samsung EVO non pro. The big difference between these drives is that Samsung is using 2bit MLC on the PRO and 3bit TLC on the EVO.


    YoAndy said:
    I never said any of those part numbers where a pro model


    hmmmm...


    That's how is should be(maybe), now newegg or any vendor has the right to use whatever part number they want for their products,, now the rest of the part number even the whole number from newegg or any other vendor is irrelevant and they can use whatever number they want to name the products they sell.. Why are we still talking about this non-sense?
    ;) I already said that it is irrelevant. The only different in that specific model is between The Samsung EVO 960 and the PRO The part number doesn't mean ANYTHING. Because like I already stated samsung serial numbers and model numbers are totally different and are the ones that actually make sense. (and the ones we actually use to identify models) Regardless of what the vendors are using the correct model number for the Samsung EVO M.2 is MZ- V6E and for the PRO is MZ-V6P. That number from newegg is not a model number at all, and is only used between suppliers to identify parts.
    Reply to YoAndy
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

SSD Samsung Gaming Evo