My games are having stutter/ framedrop

I built my computer recently and everything was fine then for some reason my games drop frames really fast and go back to normal, iv been searching for solution but i cant fix it... Help!
Reply to shaddermic
13 answers Last reply
More about games stutter framedrop
  1. dropping fps, then resuming fps ... does this cycle continue for as long as you play?

    could be a sign of thermal throttling. check heatsinks and paste. - run hw monitor and check running temps.
    Reply to SoggyTissue
  2. It happens sometimes then stops and its really annoying, the heatsink looks fine aswell.
    Here are my specs and the temps
    Ryzen 1700-30°C to 34°C
    Gigabyte GTX-1060 3g 47°C to 48°C
    Asus B350m-a 5x
    Vengeance 8g
    Thermaltake LITEPOWER 550w
    WD 250g SSD
    WD 1T HDD

    If anything is wrong please help! Oh I forgot to mention it all started when i re downloaded farcry 3 it started from there and infected my other games or something?!
    Reply to shaddermic
  3. SoggyTissue said:
    dropping fps, then resuming fps ... does this cycle continue for as long as you play?

    could be a sign of thermal throttling. check heatsinks and paste. - run hw monitor and check running temps.


    Just found out the problem its the cpu spikes i can see it in my task manager! And also some other games have cpu drop :( help!
    Reply to shaddermic
  4. Are you running your cpu at stock? If so, are you trying to run your games with really high settings that are affected by cpu performance?
    Reply to xSimply1337x
  5. xSimply1337x said:
    Are you running your cpu at stock? If so, are you trying to run your games with really high settings that are affected by cpu performance?

    For example I tried to put my far cry settings to the lowest and it still has stutter/ fps drop :??:
    Reply to shaddermic
  6. your RAM is better than 2133?
    eg at least 2400? i know ryzens want fast RAM, else they start to exhibit problems. cpu doing more work than RAM can supply etc.
    you do have a Paired/Matched set of 2 RAM sticks right? youre not using just a single?
    Reply to SoggyTissue
  7. Just as SoggyTissue says. Ryzen needs fast ram to function properly. the faster the better. also running dual channel is a must. Single channel is just going to hurt you.
    Reply to xSimply1337x
  8. SoggyTissue said:
    your RAM is better than 2133?
    eg at least 2400? i know ryzens want fast RAM, else they start to exhibit problems. cpu doing more work than RAM can supply etc.
    you do have a Paired/Matched set of 2 RAM sticks right? youre not using just a single?


    I have upgraded my ram to 16g and i got the same ram i had except i have 4 of them, it seems i still get sudden frame drop and i am very confused... And also in my task manager it says i still have 2133mhz? or is that just normal
    Reply to shaddermic
  9. RAM speed is dictated by the slowest stick, adding 2400 to a 2133 will make both work at 2133. you should only install RAM in pairs or and entire set (4) as the supplier will test to make sure they all work together before sending them to you.

    buying one or a pair, then buying another pair can result in the 2 pairs disliking eachother. also note that motherboards have a specific RAM slot combination that you must use, just putting RAM in next to eachother does not garantee double throughput ... read your mobo handbook which will tell you in what order to fit your RAM.
    Reply to SoggyTissue
  10. shaddermic said:
    Just found out the problem its the cpu spikes i can see it in my task manager! And also some other games have cpu drop :( help!


    Disable XFR and SMT and put all cores to the same clock,some safe speed, don't overclock just make them run the same.
    I think you can do all of this from windows with amd master utility.
    Games freak out when some parts run faster then others.
    Reply to TerryLaze
  11. I would monitor hdd use during gameplay, also 8gb may not be enought, most games now needs 16GB system memory. What is your memory use during gameplay? Also monitor hdd activity during gameplay. A ryzen would nto cause stutter due to low ram frequency, and i know what i m saying just had for 5 months a 1700X. Low frequency RAM will cause a general lower fps not periodic drops. i can see here 3 possible causes, 1 thermal throttling, 2PSU not providing enought power, 3 HDD overuse causing drops (may be due to insufficient ram and hdd will be used as memory).
    TerryLaze gave you a partial good suggestion, far cry it is severly affected by SMT and also by running the game on different CCX modules, what i had used to overcome this problem was process lasso and tied the far cry process to use only real cores and only the 1st 4 cores (cores 0, 2, 4, 6) and i had major bump in fps. No need to go in bios and cripple your pc by disabling the smt.
    Reply to Dragos Manea
  12. SoggyTissue said:
    RAM speed is dictated by the slowest stick, adding 2400 to a 2133 will make both work at 2133. you should only install RAM in pairs or and entire set (4) as the supplier will test to make sure they all work together before sending them to you.

    buying one or a pair, then buying another pair can result in the 2 pairs disliking eachother. also note that motherboards have a specific RAM slot combination that you must use, just putting RAM in next to eachother does not garantee double throughput ... read your mobo handbook which will tell you in what order to fit your RAM.


    All 4 of my ram are the exact same all of them being 2133
    Reply to shaddermic
  13. shaddermic said:
    SoggyTissue said:
    RAM speed is dictated by the slowest stick, adding 2400 to a 2133 will make both work at 2133. you should only install RAM in pairs or and entire set (4) as the supplier will test to make sure they all work together before sending them to you.

    buying one or a pair, then buying another pair can result in the 2 pairs disliking eachother. also note that motherboards have a specific RAM slot combination that you must use, just putting RAM in next to eachother does not garantee double throughput ... read your mobo handbook which will tell you in what order to fit your RAM.


    All 4 of my ram are the exact same all of them being 2133


    You need to sell your sticks to get some money for them and then get faster RAM. not MORE just faster. 3000Mhz should do it. I mean 2666 would do it but you can actually get 3000 for about the same price if you go with Vengeance LPX.
    Look up your motherboard specs and see what the max supported speed is.
    I tried looking up the motherboard you gave but there are two A versions. one is CSM and the other is normal. If you have the CSM version then your max supported is going to be 2666 and that is what you should get otherwise if you have the other one it'll support up to 3200 at which point the best price to performance option is Vengeance LPX

    The blue ones are $165 and the black ones are $170
    These are the black ones 16GB (4x4)
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2GX2FT/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m4b3000c15

    Or you can stay with 8GB which in my opinion is just fine and go with 2x4 and add another identical set of 2x4 later on if and when you need it
    If you go this route (again assuming that you have the mobo with support for up to 3200) then go with Ripjaws V
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zgJkcf/gskill-memory-f43200c16d8gvk

    On the flip side for the CSM board these are your two options for 2666Mhz
    8GB (2x4)
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YzNypg/gskill-memory-f42666c15d8gvr
    16GB (4x4)
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rf98TW/gskill-memory-f42666c15q16gvr
    Reply to xSimply1337x
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Go Computers Games