ASUS Z170-AR No Sound

After my recent build I turned on my speakers and no sound from back or front connections. Is something unplugged or maybe the recent Windows 10 creators update messed things up?


If it's from the update should I do a clean install and refuse the update?
Reply to BANJOMAN51
7 answers Last reply
More about asus z170 sound
  1. It could be, I have seen a lot of different issues, missing drivers or corrupted drivers coming from the windows creators update. You should try a new fresh install of windows.
    Reply to YoAndy
  2. YoAndy said:
    It could be, I have seen a lot of different issues, missing drivers or corrupted drivers coming from the windows creators update. You should try a new fresh install of windows.


    Thanks. This is a recent build so there is not a lot on this pc. If it turns out to be a hardware problem I can always search for a decent sound card compatible with Windows 10.
    Reply to BANJOMAN51
  3. BANJOMAN51 said:
    YoAndy said:
    It could be, I have seen a lot of different issues, missing drivers or corrupted drivers coming from the windows creators update. You should try a new fresh install of windows.


    Thanks. This is a recent build so there is not a lot on this pc. If it turns out to be a hardware problem I can always search for a decent sound card compatible with Windows 10.


    How do you know that is a hardware problem if you don't mind me asking?!?
    Reply to YoAndy
  4. YoAndy said:
    BANJOMAN51 said:
    YoAndy said:
    It could be, I have seen a lot of different issues, missing drivers or corrupted drivers coming from the windows creators update. You should try a new fresh install of windows.


    Thanks. This is a recent build so there is not a lot on this pc. If it turns out to be a hardware problem I can always search for a decent sound card compatible with Windows 10.


    How do you know that is a hardware problem if you don't mind me asking?!?


    I guess that I am assuming that if the sound problem is not caused by the update then perhaps something is wrong with the on-board sound. The sound worked prior to the update.

    Should I take a different approach? This is first attempt at a build.
    Reply to BANJOMAN51
  5. If the sound worked before the update then it should be a bad or missing driver, I had a few problems myself after the windows creators update. I fixed the problems by doing a fresh install of windows. I'm convinced that everything will be okay after a fresh install.
    Reply to YoAndy
  6. YoAndy said:
    If the sound worked before the update then it should be a bad or missing driver, I had a few problems myself after the windows creators update. I fixed the problems by doing a fresh install of windows. I'm convinced that everything will be okay after a fresh install.


    Thanks. A fresh install it is!

    Is there anyway to avoid the creators update?

    I certainly appreciate your input.
    Reply to BANJOMAN51
  7. This are 9 most common problems with windows creators update.

    The update won’t download at all
    The update gets stuck
    Windows Defender can’t update your malware definitions
    Unable to add new users to Windows
    Windows isn’t shutting down all the way
    Location services won’t turn off
    Games disable the Night Light filter
    The Windows Game Bar prevents some users from streaming
    Game Mode cuts off microphone access for third-party apps

    How to fix Windows 10 Creators Update DTS / Dolby Digital Live audio

    Error

    Digital sound not working
    Description

    After installing the Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1703) some users at the Microsoft forums are reporting that the Realtek High Definition Audio driver doesn't accept Dolby Digital Live and DTS Surround anymore. This happens even after reinstalling the driver or doing a clean install of the Creators Update.

    Status

    Microsoft hasn't acknowledge this issue as a problem with the Creators Update.

    Resolution

    If Dolby Digital 5.1 is a must have feature on Windows 10, the best way to resolve this issue is to remove the Creators Update until Microsoft releases a fix, or the company behind the Realtek High Definition Audio driver makes available a new update.

    To remove the Windows 10 Creators Update, do the following:

    Open Settings. Click on Update & security. Click on Recovery. Under "Go back to a previous version of Windows 10", click the Get started button. Select the reason you're rolling back and click Next. Click No, thanks. Click Next. Click Next again. Click Go back to earlier build to begin the process.

    https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-creators-update-common-problems-and-fixes


    Anew fresh install could take care of this problem.
    Reply to YoAndy
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Speakers Windows windows 10 Build Motherboards Asus