Motherboard won't beep but fans run

This is my first build. I have an Asus Micro ATX H110M-K Motherboard and an Intel Core i3-6100 LGA 1151. The motherboard said it was compatible with a 6th generation Intel processor, and I checked if the CPU was installed right so I didn't think that was the problem. I went through the "system won't boot" list and I'm still not getting any reaction from the motherboard, so I was thinking it may be dead. I tested the power supply to make sure it worked and assembled the motherboard on the box but still nothing. The only weird thing is that when I had the graphics card in initially and plugged the hdmi into my laptop (to use as a monitor before my real monitor came in the mail), the CPU fan started to spin. But plugged into my monitor I get nothing. This just seemed odd and I wanted to check if it meant my motherboard may not be dead after all.

Any help would be appreciated - as I said this is my first build and I think I'm in a bit over my head. Thanks!

Power Supply: EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050
Reply to madi_e
5 answers Last reply
More about motherboard beep fans run
  1. Its your RAM or your RAM slots, try using 1 stick of RAM and test different ram slots. Check each RAM stick and each RAM slots.
    Reply to Sohom
  2. Sohom said:
    Its your RAM or your RAM slots, try using 1 stick of RAM and test different ram slots. Check each RAM stick and each RAM slots.


    I tried each of the RAM sticks in each slot but nothing changed - still no beeps or output, fan only runs when connected to the laptop. Would removing the graphics card and trying to connect the motherboard to the monitor via VGA cable be a possible solution?
    Reply to madi_e
  3. ok, do one thing remove all the ram sticks and video card... and then boot and record the number of beeps and report back.... the pc wont boot, but i just want to be sure whether its the ram or something else... and pls make sure you have a motherboard speaker connected...
    Reply to Sohom
  4. Sohom said:
    ok, do one thing remove all the ram sticks and video card... and then boot and record the number of beeps and report back.... the pc wont boot, but i just want to be sure whether its the ram or something else... and pls make sure you have a motherboard speaker connected...


    Removed the RAM sticks and video card (I'm still working o it on top of the box) and attached the speaker. When I turned on the power supply I got no response. My power supply has two 4 pin EATX12v cables but there is only one outlet to plut into on the motherboard. Don't know if that could be an issue.
    Reply to madi_e
  5. madi_e said:
    Sohom said:
    ok, do one thing remove all the ram sticks and video card... and then boot and record the number of beeps and report back.... the pc wont boot, but i just want to be sure whether its the ram or something else... and pls make sure you have a motherboard speaker connected...


    Removed the RAM sticks and video card (I'm still working o it on top of the box) and attached the speaker. When I turned on the power supply I got no response. My power supply has two 4 pin EATX12v cables but there is only one outlet to plut into on the motherboard. Don't know if that could be an issue.


    It certainly is... The psu cable to the motherboard should be like this:
    https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/monthly_2017_03/cp-8920115_eps_12v_cpu_conn.png.e9b9d9c97a5b3e8fd8202ce59eb59d13.png
    Reply to Sohom
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Monitors Motherboards