Solved

Would a Ryzen 3 1300X bottleneck a GTX 1060 3GB

Hello, would a Ryzen 1300X bottleneck a GTX 1060 3gb?

Thanks You!
Reply to destinywarlock55
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ryzen 1300x bottleneck gtx 1060 3gb
  1. Best answer
    Nope. Even a Ryzen 3 1200 doesn't bottleneck up until a 1080 (JayzTwoCents made this video explaining bottlenecking and how big of an issue it is in recent years). Of course this also depends on the game, but the Ryzen 3 1300X is a good CPU and you shouldn't run into any problems except for VERY CPU intensive games and multi-threaded workloads.

    You'll be fine.
    Reply to JalYt_Justin
  2. Like JalYt_Justin said, no worries whatsoever.
    That being said, i strongly advise that you go for the 1060 6GB if you can find one. Besides teh fact that teh 3gig version has a weaker GPU, nobody should be buying GPUs with less than 4 gigs of RAM in 2017. Seriously.
    Reply to Hlsgsz
  3. JalYt_Justin said:
    Nope. Even a Ryzen 3 1200 doesn't bottleneck up until a 1080 (JayzTwoCents made this video explaining bottlenecking and how big of an issue it is in recent years). Of course this also depends on the game, but the Ryzen 3 1300X is a good CPU and you shouldn't run into any problems except for VERY CPU intensive games and multi-threaded workloads.

    You'll be fine.


    can't see the link in the post when viewing, but when replying I see the link within the post. Bit weird. Really good vid. I enjoyed watching it, for various reasons, not least his dry humour, and the very clear explanation of bottlenecking (which i think is lost on some folks as the solely focus on the GPU/CPU relationship.) Interesting too, how the Pentium can still hold it's own up to a 1080 in most scenarios.
    Reply to keith12
  4. Hlsgsz said:
    Like JalYt_Justin said, no worries whatsoever.
    That being said, i strongly advise that you go for the 1060 6GB if you can find one. Besides teh fact that teh 3gig version has a weaker GPU, nobody should be buying GPUs with less than 4 gigs of RAM in 2017. Seriously.


    That's true to a point. The 1060 6gb has slightly more resources, but it's been shown it has very little impact with both the 3gb and 6gb version practically identical in performance. At higher resolutions the 6gb might come into play, but the 3gb version is still a good gamer at 1080p.
    Reply to keith12
  5. keith12 said:
    Hlsgsz said:
    Like JalYt_Justin said, no worries whatsoever.
    That being said, i strongly advise that you go for the 1060 6GB if you can find one. Besides teh fact that teh 3gig version has a weaker GPU, nobody should be buying GPUs with less than 4 gigs of RAM in 2017. Seriously.


    That's true to a point. The 1060 6gb has slightly more resources, but it's been shown it has very little impact with both the 3gb and 6gb version practically identical in performance. At higher resolutions the 6gb might come into play, but the 3gb version is still a good gamer at 1080p.


    There are already games that push beyond 3gigs @1080p, and this will escalate pretty quickly. Meaning that i'm willing to bet that with many games coming out this hollyday season, one would have to sacrifice heavily to be able to game at 1080p on 3 gigs.
    Unless the decision is based on teh current mining craze, getting a 1060 3 gig is just a bad idea as far as i'm concearned.
    Reply to Hlsgsz
  6. i'm not disagreeing with you at all. Just that the 3gb version isn't a bad option, and will still play pretty darn well at 1080p. We don't know the res the OP is playing at, or what games he's playing.

    And I'd completely agree about new AAA games, the 3gb card would suffer a little at higher res, and the FPS would drop off in comparison with the 6gb flavour.
    There are other variables than 'future proofing' or max FPS to consider. Often budget comes into play, and the aforementioned resolution, in game settings etc.
    Reply to keith12
  7. keith12 said:
    i'm not disagreeing with you at all. Just that the 3gb version isn't a bad option, and will still play pretty darn well at 1080p. We don't know the res the OP is playing at, or what games he's playing.

    And I'd completely agree about new AAA games, the 3gb card would suffer a little at higher res, and the FPS would drop off in comparison with the 6gb flavour.
    There are other variables than 'future proofing' or max FPS to consider. Often budget comes into play, and the aforementioned resolution, in game settings etc.


    Yeah, some extra info from OP would definitely help with the 3gb/6gb "dilemma". Especially since all this may be superfluous as OP may already own the GPU. :)
    That being said, regarding the actual original question theres no contention whatsoever. The Ryzen 3 is plenty powerful.
    Reply to Hlsgsz
  8. Wait, actually I added up the total, and the gtx 160 3gb is out of my budget, so would a GTX 1050 TI?
    Reply to destinywarlock55
  9. destinywarlock55 said:
    Wait, actually I added up the total, and the gtx 160 3gb is out of my budget, so would a GTX 1050 TI?


    Well, if the Ryzen 3 can handle a 1060 and then some, it can obviously handle a 1050 ti.
    But you would get better results with a cheaper Pentium G4560 and a 1060 6gb or even 3 gb, what you can afford.
    Reply to Hlsgsz
  10. Better yet, where do you live, what parts do you need and what is your budget?
    Reply to Hlsgsz
  11. Most OC the 1200 to the same 3.9 GHz that the 1300's can OC to, where all perform identically anyway. There, $20 more saved towards your GPU purchase...!
    Reply to mdd1963
  12. well, i only plan on running on 1080p so will i require 6GB of Vram?
    im not really interested in 4K or VR, at the moment.
    Reply to destinywarlock55
  13. i mainly just play War Thunder, Overwatch, starcraft 2, and HoTs
    Reply to destinywarlock55
  14. also i might be able to go for the 6GB but its slightly over budget so thats why i was considering the 3gb version instead
    Reply to destinywarlock55
  15. For those games, definitely go for the Pentium G4560 and then get the best GPU you can affort after that. Getting the best GPU possible makes sense regardless of the titles you play, if they are modern.
    Reply to Hlsgsz
  16. destinywarlock55 said:
    i mainly just play War Thunder, Overwatch, starcraft 2, and HoTs


    You won't be able to max startcraft 2 at 1080p with a gtx 1060
    Reply to YoAndy
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gtx Bottleneck