After removing and returning GPU and HDDs, No POST

Because of hurricane Irma I was preparing for the worst and removed the GPU and my two hard drives from the computer and packed them with me. I unplugged the computer just in case my house flooded. When the hurricane was over I returned home and installed them again. No luck even getting the computer to start. I tried bread boarding, no luck. Tried removing all RAM but one stick, no luck. I thought possibly the PSU was damaged so I did the (not so smart) paperclip test. Fans ran on PSU but that's about it. Can anyone think of anything I can do? Is it the MoBo?
Reply to nickelpip
6 answers Last reply
More about removing returning gpu hdds post
  1. bread boarding? What do you mean?
    Reply to Andy Chow
  2. Andy Chow said:
    bread boarding? What do you mean?


    I took all the components out of the case, and put them on a non conductive surface to see if it wasn't turning on because of a short.
    Reply to nickelpip
  3. nickelpip said:
    Andy Chow said:
    bread boarding? What do you mean?


    I took all the components out of the case, and put them on a non conductive surface to see if it wasn't turning on because of a short.


    A short lasts less than a second and permanently damages the part. If you suspect a short, nothing will fix it. Bread-boarding means assembling electronic parts on a bread-board (a white board with holes in them) as a prototype to validate circuitry.
    Reply to Andy Chow
  4. Andy Chow said:
    nickelpip said:
    Andy Chow said:
    bread boarding? What do you mean?


    I took all the components out of the case, and put them on a non conductive surface to see if it wasn't turning on because of a short.


    A short lasts less than a second and permanently damages the part. If you suspect a short, nothing will fix it. Bread-boarding means assembling electronic parts on a bread-board (a white board with holes in them) as a prototype to validate circuitry.



    Well I knew that but I've heard it called bread boarding before, the checklist on here even calls it that, even though it's not correct. Does it sound like the motherboard shorted?
    Reply to nickelpip
  5. It doesn't sound like it unless you have reason to suspect it. Check that all cables are securely inserted, including those that lead to the case (power, reset, etc). If you have a gpu on your cou, try without the gpu installed, with the screen directly connected to the motherboard.

    Can you get to the bios?
    Reply to Andy Chow
  6. Andy Chow said:
    It doesn't sound like it unless you have reason to suspect it. Check that all cables are securely inserted, including those that lead to the case (power, reset, etc). If you have a gpu on your cou, try without the gpu installed, with the screen directly connected to the motherboard.

    Can you get to the bios?


    The computer won't even turn on, fans won't turn on, not even the PSU fans will spin. No LEDs or signs of any power getting to it. I did try the PSU with another motherboard and it had power, that's why I'm assuming it's the Motherboard. Thanks for helping me by the way sir.
    Reply to nickelpip
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

GPUs Computers Hard Drives