Solved

Computer wont post with graphics card plugged in. (probs pcie slot problem)

Hi, So a while back i made myself a custom cooler for a graphics card that i got for cheap. After using it for some time it suddenly stopped working. First I reset CMOS. didn't work, next I changed graphics card to one i knew worked before, Didn't work and finally I loaned a different psu to test with, Didn't work. Im pretty sure it's the pcie slot now, since before it stopped working I took it to a Lan and back, probably putting too much weight to the pcie slot. Does anyone know something to try?, would like to get the pc working again.
Reply to poliwaggamers
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer wont post graphics card plugged probs pcie slot problem
  1. Do you have onboard graphics? If so try to boot into your BIOS and set it to use the PCI-e slot, then try your GPU with one stick of ram, try every slot. If it is not this check to make sure your CPU pins are not bent, this can usually be a culprit to this also.
    Reply to Darkvillain
  2. if this board have 2 pci-e x slot try gpu in the second one .
    Reply to scout_03
  3. What are the specs, including PSU? Always good to provide all the relevant information up-front. Generic questions can only really get generic answers. Have you done all the steps in the stickied no-post checklist?
    Reply to DSzymborski
  4. Hi, sorry for late answer. These are the specs:
    4gb ddr2
    Mobo p5kpl-cm
    Spire power 420w
    core 2 quad q6600
    Powercolor radeon hd 7850 v2 2gb

    Also I have tried with different ram sticks. Onboard graphics are gma 3100 I think. Only has one pcie slot.
    Reply to poliwaggamers
  5. Try removing the GPU and booting with a single stick of ram (Try all slots).
    Reply to Darkvillain
  6. Darkvillain said:
    Try removing the GPU and booting with a single stick of ram (Try all slots).


    Removing the gpu and everything works fine through the integrated graphics, but I want to keep the gpu in. any ideas?
    Reply to poliwaggamers
  7. have gpu test in another system .
    Reply to scout_03
  8. scout_03 said:
    have gpu test in another system .

    I have tested another gpu in this system that i know for a fact works. No difference.
    Reply to poliwaggamers
  9. Boot into your bios and set your graphics to use the PCIe slot instead of onboard.
    Reply to Darkvillain
  10. Darkvillain said:
    Boot into your bios and set your graphics to use the PCIe slot instead of onboard.


    I have tested that, no difference
    Reply to poliwaggamers
  11. poliwaggamers said:
    scout_03 said:
    have gpu test in another system .

    I have tested another gpu in this system that i know for a fact works. No difference.



    Next place to try is swapping out the junky PSU. Would not be shocking to see it give up the ghost given its quality.
    Reply to DSzymborski
  12. DSzymborski said:
    poliwaggamers said:
    scout_03 said:
    have gpu test in another system .

    I have tested another gpu in this system that i know for a fact works. No difference.



    Next place to try is swapping out the junky PSU. Would not be shocking to see it give up the ghost given its quality.


    "finally I loaned a different psu to test with, Didn't work."

    I have tried that aswell, psu was a corsair one so it should be fine.
    Reply to poliwaggamers
  13. Best answer
    from what we could read your gpu pci-e slot is out so you might need another board .
    Reply to scout_03
  14. scout_03 said:
    from what we could read your gpu pci-e slot is out so you might need another board .


    Sadly, that's what I thought.
    Reply to poliwaggamers
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Cooling Computers Graphics Cards