Solved

best cpu cooling ? air vs water?

hi , i have this case, coguar mx300 and i think i dont have space for a radiator at least a big one, my cpu is the i7 7700k and i overheating all the time, u think i should go with some corsair with a small radiator or with air flow ?
28 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cpu cooling air water
  1. There is no instance where a CLC type water cooler beats a comparable priced air cooler. For example, for a $110 Corsair H100i to get close to a $90 air cooler (Noctua NH-D15 / Cryorig R1 - Universal), it has to be 12 times as loud and still it loses by 3C. And the Scyther Mugen Max matches the performance of the those $90 air coolers for just $37 ... so does the Scythe Fima for $45

    This review listed the allowable CPU height as "about 160mm".

    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cougar_mx300_review/4.htm

    The Mugen max is 161 / the Fuma is 149 mm tall so that would be my recommendation here



    It will crush anything else in its price range, most of which it tops by 10C
  2. Budget? Your case will support up to a 155mm CPU cooler. For a good air cooler I'd go with either the Cryorig H7 or Noctua NH-U9S.
    http://cougargaming.com/index_ss.php?id=548&L=4
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($58.35 @ Amazon)
  3. Best answer
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cougar_mx300_review/
    suggests it's unlikely you'll fit a 240mm radiator up top cause of vram clearance. Might try the front but I think those drive cages aren't removable so that's a bust as well. Not sure if rads smaller than 240 will keep up with 7700k better than something like NH-D15 would.
    If you go with air cooling, make sure you get both 120 in front filled with fans. I'm assuming your back 120 fan is already in there and you can stick one more 120 in top back spot. If you're still heating up, you can add side fans but keep in mind these have to be speed controlled to lower speeds else they'll just mess up the airflow in the case and not help the temperature situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ Good video on this effect of case fans on temps.
  4. JackNaylorPE said:
    There is no instance where a CLC type water cooler beats a comparable priced air cooler. For example, for a $110 Corsair H100i to get close to a $90 air cooler (Noctua NH-D15 / Cryorig R1 - Universal), it has to be 12 times as loud and still it loses by 3C. And the Scyther Mugen Max matches the performance of the those $90 air coolers for just $37 ... so does the Scythe Fima for $45

    This review listed the allowable CPU height as "about 160mm".

    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cougar_mx300_review/4.htm

    The Mugen max is 161 / the Fuma is 149 mm tall so that would be my recommendation here



    It will crush anything else in its price range, most of which it tops by 10C



    Anonymous said:
    Budget? Your case will support up to a 155mm CPU cooler. For a good air cooler I'd go with either the Cryorig H7 or Noctua NH-U9S.
    http://cougargaming.com/index_ss.php?id=548&L=4
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($58.35 @ Amazon)

    ty but the fuma is not selling on my county some other brand ? nectua is it ;/ i am from argentina bbtw
  5. Using the sites listed here:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/358998-31-worldwide-online-computer-parts-stores

    I had no luck ... of course, with just the 2 sites and language issue, i wasn't very well prepared to hunt this down.
  6. so i should go for NH-U9S cost 130 usd here, u think that with thiis i wont have a overheating ?
  7. 130usd???? That's...no that's too expensive. I got the NH-U14S for like 80-90 canadian and that's a bigger model and that's like 65 usd?
    130 is a ripoff.
  8. Sedivy said:
    130usd???? That's...no that's too expensive. I got the NH-U14S for like 80-90 canadian and that's a bigger model and that's like 65 usd?
    130 is a ripoff.


    is argentina the h100i v2 is on 230 xdddd
  9. Omg. And you have no access to scythe models? Or cryorig h5 or h7? Or deepcool gammaxx 400? Or hyper 212 EVo? Arctic freezer i32? Anything that's a little more reasonable price?
  10. Sedivy said:
    Omg. And you have no access to scythe models? Or cryorig h5 or h7? Or deepcool gammaxx 400?


    https://listado.mercadolibre.com.ar/gammaxx#D[A:gammaxx-] gammax 600 is like 38
  11. Ok maybe I'm looking at wrong currency. We are talking about us dollars right?
    This is the one I'm recommending I think
    https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-653757021-cpu-cooler-deepcool-gammaxx-400-led-intel-amd-overclock-_JM
    here's the review for it
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gammaxx-400-slim-tower-cpu-cooler,4460.html
    Now I don't know what $850 means in usd. You're saying $38 usd?
  12. Sedivy said:
    Ok maybe I'm looking at wrong currency. We are talking about us dollars right?
    This is the one I'm recommending I think
    https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-681378890-cooler-cpu-deepcool-gammaxx400-intel-amd-pwm-leds-rojos--_JM
    here's the review for it
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gammaxx-400-slim-tower-cpu-cooler,4460.html
    Now I don't know what $800 means in usd. You're saying $38 usd?


    yea 800 is like 40
  13. Sedivy said:
    Ok maybe I'm looking at wrong currency. We are talking about us dollars right?
    This is the one I'm recommending I think
    https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-653757021-cpu-cooler-deepcool-gammaxx-400-led-intel-amd-overclock-_JM
    here's the review for it
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gammaxx-400-slim-tower-cpu-cooler,4460.html
    Now I don't know what $850 means in usd. You're saying $38 usd?

    so u think that with that my intel i7 7700k without oc should be fine ?
  14. Well no that's very decent then. The review shows it's pretty good in cooling and price performance and that's about the price you're to expect from a cpu cooler on a budget. But what's your current cooler? I'm not sure how much better this one will be.
    And how many case fans do you have?
  15. Sedivy said:
    Well no that's very decent then. The review shows it's pretty good in cooling and price performance and that's about the price you're to expect from a cpu cooler on a budget. But what's your current cooler? I'm not sure how much better this one will be.
    And how many case fans do you have?

    i have 4 of 120mm and the defualt on the back, and on the cpu i have the default of intel, my pc shut down on big games beacause of that xd
  16. Ahh yes stock coolers aren't terrific. Any third party cooler will make an improvement. You've got 2 front, 2 sides and 1 in the back? Or something like that?
  17. Sedivy said:
    Ahh yes stock coolers aren't terrific. Any third party cooler will make an improvement. You've got 2 front, 2 sides and 1 in the back? Or something like that?


    idk what u mean with third party impovements but yes xd i have 1 on the bac but 2 on top not fron and 2 sides, and the cpu default. btw i cant put 2 more on the front
  18. Ok wait. Do you have any at the front? As there is space for two?
    Third party means any of the cpu coolers produced by companies other than intel. So like noctua and deepcool and cryorig and so on.
  19. Sedivy said:
    Ok wait. Do you have any at the front? As there is space for two?
    Third party means any of the cpu coolers produced by companies other than intel. So like noctua and deepcool and cryorig and so on.

    yea mx300 coguar have for 2 more on the fron 120mm but i didnt putted anything beacause i thinked that i could put the h100i v2 that i know that i cant right now so i am looking what should i buy for cpu and then might buy 2 more for front
  20. If you don't use the drive cages, take them out, then put two from the side, to the front. That provides more directed flow from front bottom to top back to feed into the cpu cooler, rather than from the side.
  21. Sedivy said:
    If you don't use the drive cages, take them out, then put two from the side, to the front. That provides more directed flow from front bottom to top back to feed into the cpu cooler, rather than from the side.

    i only use 1 driver cage. i will do it and respect cpu cooler should i buy this https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-681378890-cooler-cpu-deepcool-gammaxx400-intel-amd-pwm-leds-rojos--_JM or some noctua ?
  22. You know, I like noctua, I have it myself. But if the difference was between $38 and $120 just for brand and maybe a degree or two difference in temperature (or not depending on the model), then I'd go deepcool.
  23. Sedivy said:
    You know, I like noctua, I have it myself. But if the difference was between $38 and $120 just for brand and maybe a degree or two difference in temperature (or not depending on the model), then I'd go deepcool.

    lol only 1 or 2 c well i think i will buy this xd
    https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-616849440-cooler-cpu-deepcool-lucifer-k2-oc-rendimiento-extremo-unico-_JM this or https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-653757021-cpu-cooler-deepcool-gammaxx-400-led-intel-amd-overclock-_JM this ?
  24. Well if you read that review of deepcool gammaxx 400 I linked, you'll see it actually performs better than NH-U12S. While I seriously doubt it outperforms something like NH-D15, that one is very big and bulky, won't fit in every case, and who even knows how much it costs. It's just not worth it.
    I don't know the performance of that first one linked. The second one is what I have a review on (the blue one) : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gammaxx-400-slim-tower-cpu-cooler,4460-2.html
    so that's the only one I can recommend without looking more into reviews of that red, thicker model you linked.
  25. Sedivy said:
    Well if you read that review of deepcool gammaxx 400 I linked, you'll see it actually performs better than NH-U12S. While I seriously doubt it outperforms something like NH-D15, that one is very big and bulky, won't fit in every case, and who even knows how much it costs. It's just not worth it.
    I don't know the performance of that first one linked. The second one is what I have a review on (the blue one) : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gammaxx-400-slim-tower-cpu-cooler,4460-2.html
    so that's the only one I can recommend without looking more into reviews of that red model you linked.

    bring blue light ? i prefer with not i will look into a model without it xd
  26. No no, the one with the red light I don't know anything about.
    The blue one is the one with the review, that I know has decent temps. As for the color, it's just a fan. You can replace the fan with a non-rgb I think but be careful that it's the same model of the fan. Fans make a big difference in performance.
  27. Sedivy said:
    No no, the one with the red light I don't know anything about.
    The blue one is the one with the review, that I know has decent temps. As for the color, it's just a fan. You can replace the fan with a non-rgb I think but be careful that it's the same model of the fan. Fans make a big difference in performance.

    TY i will buy that blue of 800 :D
  28. Jack, you feel this way "There is no instance where a CLC type water cooler beats a comparable priced air cooler. ". Cause i was thinking water cooler is always superior to an air cooler. But you say not so.


    JackNaylorPE said:
    There is no instance where a CLC type water cooler beats a comparable priced air cooler. For example, for a $110 Corsair H100i to get close to a $90 air cooler (Noctua NH-D15 / Cryorig R1 - Universal), it has to be 12 times as loud and still it loses by 3C. And the Scyther Mugen Max matches the performance of the those $90 air coolers for just $37 ... so does the Scythe Fima for $45

    This review listed the allowable CPU height as "about 160mm".

    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cougar_mx300_review/4.htm

    The Mugen max is 161 / the Fuma is 149 mm tall so that would be my recommendation here



    It will crush anything else in its price range, most of which it tops by 10C

Ask a new question

Read More

Cooling Cases CPUs