Solved

RX 580 4GB or 8GB for Ryzen 3 1200?

Should I get RX 580 4 GB as it is currently on sale or wait for RX 580 8 GB price drop. I'm also concerned if the 8 GB model will bottleneck Ryzen 3 1200 or not.
Reply to tautvis99
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 580 4gb 8gb ryzen 1200
  1. At 1080p the 580 4g is enough IMO

It's as fast as the RX 480 8gb so performance is a non issue if its a lot cheaper.
    Reply to madmatt30
  2. madmatt30 said:
    At 1080p the 580 4g is enough IMO

It's as fast as the RX 480 8gb so performance is a non issue if its a lot cheaper.

Thanks, and what about the longlivity? I see more often games in the future will require past 4 GB of memory.
    Reply to tautvis99
  3. Best answer
    There are a couple games currently out that I know of that show meaningful improvement with 8GB over 4GB at 1080p, but only playing with the highest texture settings. If you're willing to occasionally turn down texture settings, I'd say 4GB is almost as future proof as 8GB. By the time you'd have to start frequently turning down settings to avoid hitting VRAM limits at 1080p, I'm guessing the RX 580 will be outdated anyway.

The 8GB versions also have faster VRAM (8 GHz vs 7 GHz), but that doesn't tend to make a huge difference, and you may be able to close the gap with overclocking.

If they were close-ish in price I'd say go with the 8GB version. But if there's a large gap, you may be better off going with the 4GB card, especially if you're on a tight budget.
    Reply to TJ Hooker
  4. tautvis99 said:
    Thanks, and what about the longlivity? I see more often games in the future will require past 4 GB of memory.

Most current games work fine with 2GB, just need to turn down the most memory-intensive options like high resolution shadows and ultra-high-resolution textures. You can do the same with 4GB if/when games get there. For the most part though, the RX580 will become a worse bottleneck long before more than 4GB VRAM becomes a requirement for decent performance.
    Reply to InvalidError
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Bottleneck Graphics Cards AMD Radeon