Solved

Any official fix for stuttering?

Hello

I am experiencing sttering in games, its like the game lags or freezes for 1 or more seconds even with 60 or 59 fps, it think that with 60 its ok but when in falls to 59 or something it sutters, but Im not really sure,( I have the 60fps lock with RSS)

My pc:

CPU: i5 7600
MOBO: MSI H270 Gaming M3
RAM: G Skill Tridentz Z 3200mhz Cl16 (Obviously working at 2400)
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 X
SSD: Kingston SSDnow300 120gb (Empty)
SSD2: Sandisk SSD 130gb (Where I have Windows installed)
HDD: Toshiba P300 7200rpm (Where I storage verything)
PSU :Seasonic M12II 620w
OS: Windows 10


I have tested everything with becnhmarks and stuff and everthing works properly. The temps are normal too

I also have tweaked the nvidia control panel following the Tweakguides.com article

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html besides my windows 10

And my power settings in W10 are setted for Hgh performance,


Anything in that you can help me, I would appreciate :) Thanks
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about official fix stuttering
  1. if all ur Hardware is OK, then there's something hogging resources.

    Can u monitor settings while ur in-game?

    Example, with a spare monitor connected, look at CPU usage, RAM and vRAM usage.
  2. intohardware said:
    Hello

    I am experiencing sttering in games, its like the game lags or freezes for 1 or more seconds even with 60 or 59 fps, it think that with 60 its ok but when in falls to 59 or something it sutters, but Im not really sure,( I have the 60fps lock with RSS)

    My pc:

    CPU: i5 7600
    MOBO: MSI H270 Gaming M3
    RAM: G Skill Tridentz Z 3200mhz Cl16 (Obviously working at 2400)
    GPU: MSI GTX 1070 X
    SSD: Kingston SSDnow300 120gb (Empty)
    SSD2: Sandisk SSD 130gb (Where I have Windows installed)
    HDD: Toshiba P300 7200rpm (Where I storage verything)
    PSU :Seasonic M12II 620w
    OS: Windows 10


    I have tested everything with becnhmarks and stuff and everthing works properly. The temps are normal too

    I also have tweaked the nvidia control panel following the Tweakguides.com article

    http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html besides my windows 10

    And my power settings in W10 are setted for Hgh performance,


    Anything in that you can help me, I would appreciate :) Thanks




    What games are you talking about since stuttering can also be caused by a fragmented or slow hdd in quite a few games.
  3. Assassins creed black flag, far cry 4, The crew, The witcher 2...
    My hdd is OK it is a thosiba p300 which is good for games (7200rpm) I also have tested it with atto, and hd tune pro
  4. intohardware said:
    Assassins creed black flag, far cry 4, The crew, The witcher 2...
    My hdd is OK it is a thosiba p300 which is good for games (7200rpm) I also have tested it with atto, and hd tune pro


    Have you defragmented it recently?
  5. Bee_Dee_3_Dee said:
    if all ur Hardware is OK, then there's something hogging resources.

    Can u monitor settings while ur in-game?

    Example, with a spare monitor connected, look at CPU usage, RAM and vRAM usage.


    Yes, I monitor everything ram,cpu and gpu usage ... . Everything is normal or at least i think
  6. jaslion said:
    intohardware said:
    Assassins creed black flag, far cry 4, The crew, The witcher 2...
    My hdd is OK it is a thosiba p300 which is good for games (7200rpm) I also have tested it with atto, and hd tune pro


    Have you defragmented it recently?


    Never, I even dont know what it is
  7. Best answer
    intohardware said:
    jaslion said:
    intohardware said:
    Assassins creed black flag, far cry 4, The crew, The witcher 2...
    My hdd is OK it is a thosiba p300 which is good for games (7200rpm) I also have tested it with atto, and hd tune pro


    Have you defragmented it recently?


    Never, I even dont know what it is


    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2723517/defrag-windows-computer.html

    Defragementing a hdd is putting all files in the most optimal order so that they can be accesed in the most efficient and fast way on the disk(s) in your hdd. Over time a lot of files will get displaced and put into positions where the hdd has to do multiple rotations just to read a full file whilst defragmented it could do it in 1 rotation.
    ONLY DO IT ON YOUR HDD. NEVER do it on a ssd since ssd's work in a completely diffrent way and it's just putting unnecesary strain on your ssd since it has to put everything in it's best place again then.
  8. Since everyone is guessing the HDD is the culprit, run a simple test to see if that's the case. Copy a game which stutters to your SSD. Then disconnect the hard drive, start the computer, and play the game.

    If the stutters persist, then you know it's not the hard drive. If it disappears, then you know it's the hard drive.

    Usually stutters caused by the hard drive are due to three possible reasons:
    • Pagefile is on the hard drive. Every time Windows needs to access the pagefile, it will freeze until the HDD responds to the request. Since you have SSDs, just put the pagefile on a SSD. People don't like doing that since it wears out the SSD quicker, but having the pagefile on the HDD causes too many problems IMHO.
    • HDD has gone to sleep (spun down) and the game requests data that's on the drive. In that case, the game will freeze until the hard drive spins up and is able to respond to the request. If Windows needs to access the pagefile on a spun down hard drive, everything will freeze (even the mouse cursor) until the hard drive spins up.
    • You're running low on VRAM. Since VRAM is mostly used to hold textures, when this happens the GPU starts dumping the least-used textures from VRAM. If the game suddenly needs one of those textures, the game will freeze until it can read that texture off the hard drive.


    If you suspect the FPS lock might be causing it, try disabling the FPS lock. The trick is to first figure out what is causing the problem, then to make a change which fixes it. Otherwise we're just making wild guesses.
  9. Solandri said:
    Since everyone is guessing the HDD is the culprit, run a simple test to see if that's the case. Copy a game which stutters to your SSD. Then disconnect the hard drive, start the computer, and play the game.

    If the stutters persist, then you know it's not the hard drive. If it disappears, then you know it's the hard drive.

    Usually stutters caused by the hard drive are due to three possible reasons:
    • Pagefile is on the hard drive. Every time Windows needs to access the pagefile, it will freeze until the HDD responds to the request. Since you have SSDs, just put the pagefile on a SSD. People don't like doing that since it wears out the SSD quicker, but having the pagefile on the HDD causes too many problems IMHO.
    • HDD has gone to sleep (spun down) and the game requests data that's on the drive. In that case, the game will freeze until the hard drive spins up and is able to respond to the request. If Windows needs to access the pagefile on a spun down hard drive, everything will freeze (even the mouse cursor) until the hard drive spins up.
    • You're running low on VRAM. Since VRAM is mostly used to hold textures, when this happens the GPU starts dumping the least-used textures from VRAM. If the game suddenly needs one of those textures, the game will freeze until it can read that texture off the hard drive.


    If you suspect the FPS lock might be causing it, try disabling the FPS lock. The trick is to first figure out what is causing the problem, then to make a change which fixes it. Otherwise we're just making wild guesses.


    I have played , for example, the witcher before installing the hdd and it stutered. The hdd is fine, I have tested it with hd tune pro, searched for errors and stuff... but it is ok.
    My gpu is a gtx 1070, with 8gb of vram, that isnt neither.
  10. Sorry, I don't speak english, but I had same issues and I found solutions : I let you translate with you apps..

    Voici mes remarques concernant the concernant le manque de fluidité, sur les configurations puissantes sur "the crew, wild run" ( genre i5>4xxxx , gtx> 970)

    J ai 2 PCs :
    -Un veil ordi, avec un vieil i5 pas puissant et une 970 : ok parfais , super fluide, quelque soit la résolution , le niveau de détail, etc ...
    -Un plus récent, avec i7 6700k et 1080: stuttering à fond , injouable... même tous mis au mini

    Donc sur les configurations puissantes, ce n'est pas un problème de manque de puissance ( même en basse résolution, avec tous mis en minimum, ça fait pareil ! C est un problème de pc trop puissant !
    C' est trop de puissance qui cause des problèmes ( je présume que l ordre des operation n' est plus bon certaines allant trop vite à s exécuter...et donc le jeu affiche plusieurs fois les mêmes frames, donc une impression de saccade... )

    On remarques de nettes améliorations : ( j ai testé indépendamment ... et non pas en essayant des combinaisons des différentes solutions )
    -En mettant le nombre de frame stockée à 1 dans le panneau de config nvidia.
    -En passant en mode économie d énergie et en limitant l utilisation du processeur à 85 % par exemple dans les paramètres avancés du mode de gestion d'alimentation.
    -En se mettant au maxi de résolution ( j ai écrans 1080, ça bug à fond, et pourtant en DSR 4K, ça marche mieux )
    -En mettant les affinités processus/processeur sur les vrais core ( gestionnaire des tâches , détail, click sur le bon processus, affinité.. dans mon cas, i7 avec 8 processeurs, 4 vrais ( 0,2,4,6) et 4 virtuel ( hyperthreads je pense , les 1,3,5,7).. je ne choisi donc que les cores 0,2,4,6)
    -idem dans gestionnaire des tâches, baisser la priorité au plus bas ( ne surtout pas mettre temps réel .. c est l inverse de ce que l on voit avec les autres jeux...)
    -En désactivant l hypethreads dans le bios! ( de lui la meilleure solution, mais ruine les performances sur plein d autre truc multitâches et certain jeux récents... et risque à mon avis de problème ... quoi que même Intel conseil de désactiver l hypethread sur les i7 6700 à cause du problème de faille de sécu )
    -En saturant la mémoire vive ( j ai 16 go d installé...Si je lance gimp avant les jeux, et que je crée une grosse image, genre 20000x20000 pixel, donc j' ajuste la taille en fonction de la mémoire prise grâce au gestionnaire des tâches, performance ... et je laisse 3Go de dispo (car the crew n'a besion que de 2,6Go de libre pour tourner à fond tous mis au max.

    Voila, j espère que ça servira à quelqu'un.

    Pour memoriser les affinités processeur/processus , c'est impossible dans le gestionnaire des tâches. J utilise "bill2's process manager" que j ais pris en version portable ( mon raccourci du jeux lance un batch qui le lance, puis lance the Crew)

    Voilà, j espère que j en aurais aidé plusieurs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games Hard Drives Lag stutter CPUs stuttering Games FPS windows 10 GPUs