Solved

Change Offset CPU Voltage on ASRock x370 Killer SLI (Ryzen)

Hey community,
recently I realized that I should overclock my Ryzen 5 1600, but I had no idea how to do it, since I've never overclocked a CPU before. So I went ahead and watched many YouTube videos on how to do it, but I just can't find a way to change the offset voltage value thingy in the BIOS.
Usually, atleast in all of the videos I watched, they had to select either + or -, and then enter a value like 0.14... But in the BIOS (as said, I have a pretty new ASRock mb) I have, I can only type numbers and letters into the box, so no periods, pluses or minuses.
I don't want to mess anything up, so I'm just going to ask over here, since I also couldn't find anything about this on the web.
It's probably just me being stupid, please forgive me for that.

Have a great day/night, and thanks in advance.
Reply to shashtyani
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about change offset cpu voltage asrock x370 killer sli ryzen
  1. Best answer
    shashtyani said:
    Hey community,
    recently I realized that I should overclock my Ryzen 5 1600, but I had no idea how to do it, since I've never overclocked a CPU before. So I went ahead and watched many YouTube videos on how to do it, but I just can't find a way to change the offset voltage value thingy in the BIOS.
    Usually, atleast in all of the videos I watched, they had to select either + or -, and then enter a value like 0.14... But in the BIOS (as said, I have a pretty new ASRock mb) I have, I can only type numbers and letters into the box, so no periods, pluses or minuses.
    I don't want to mess anything up, so I'm just going to ask over here, since I also couldn't find anything about this on the web.
    It's probably just me being stupid, please forgive me for that.

    Have a great day/night, and thanks in advance.


    On the X370 chip set, you can set a manual voltage. I'd suggest doing that, instead of using an offset. What kind of cooler are you using? For air cooling, I wouldn't suggest going over 1.4v. A good voltage for a daily clock with air cooling would be about 1.35v....depending on the core temps you're seeing during your stability testing.
    Reply to Vellinious
  2. Vellinious said:
    shashtyani said:
    Hey community,
    recently I realized that I should overclock my Ryzen 5 1600, but I had no idea how to do it, since I've never overclocked a CPU before. So I went ahead and watched many YouTube videos on how to do it, but I just can't find a way to change the offset voltage value thingy in the BIOS.
    Usually, atleast in all of the videos I watched, they had to select either + or -, and then enter a value like 0.14... But in the BIOS (as said, I have a pretty new ASRock mb) I have, I can only type numbers and letters into the box, so no periods, pluses or minuses.
    I don't want to mess anything up, so I'm just going to ask over here, since I also couldn't find anything about this on the web.
    It's probably just me being stupid, please forgive me for that.

    Have a great day/night, and thanks in advance.


    On the X370 chip set, you can set a manual voltage. I'd suggest doing that, instead of using an offset. What kind of cooler are you using? For air cooling, I wouldn't suggest going over 1.4v. A good voltage for a daily clock with air cooling would be about 1.35v....depending on the core temps you're seeing during your stability testing.


    Thanks alot, I've set it to 1.35 at 3.8gbz for now and it works perfectly fine, and I even get lower temps than before for some reason, and of course better fps.
    I'm using a watercooling loop, the Coolermaster Captain Ex, do you think with that I can get even higher in speeds and voltage? I've tried 4ghz and 1.4v, but then it ran at over 60°c while benchmarking, and with 4ghz at 1.35v it crashed.
    3.8ghz with 1.35v gets me about 40°c - 44°c while benchmarking, and has the same speed in games. Cinebench gives me a score of 1220. (Don't know if thats good because I've seen other people getting like 1400 with stock ryzen 5s)
    With 4ghz I got 1280pts.

    Other than the ryzen I have 16gb 2133 ddr4 ram, a gtx 1080 and a 550 watt power supply.

    Thanks alot!
    Reply to shashtyani
  3. shashtyani said:
    Vellinious said:
    shashtyani said:
    Hey community,
    recently I realized that I should overclock my Ryzen 5 1600, but I had no idea how to do it, since I've never overclocked a CPU before. So I went ahead and watched many YouTube videos on how to do it, but I just can't find a way to change the offset voltage value thingy in the BIOS.
    Usually, atleast in all of the videos I watched, they had to select either + or -, and then enter a value like 0.14... But in the BIOS (as said, I have a pretty new ASRock mb) I have, I can only type numbers and letters into the box, so no periods, pluses or minuses.
    I don't want to mess anything up, so I'm just going to ask over here, since I also couldn't find anything about this on the web.
    It's probably just me being stupid, please forgive me for that.

    Have a great day/night, and thanks in advance.


    On the X370 chip set, you can set a manual voltage. I'd suggest doing that, instead of using an offset. What kind of cooler are you using? For air cooling, I wouldn't suggest going over 1.4v. A good voltage for a daily clock with air cooling would be about 1.35v....depending on the core temps you're seeing during your stability testing.


    Thanks alot, I've set it to 1.35 at 3.8gbz for now and it works perfectly fine, and I even get lower temps than before for some reason, and of course better fps.
    I'm using a watercooling loop, the Coolermaster Captain Ex, do you think with that I can get even higher in speeds and voltage? I've tried 4ghz and 1.4v, but then it ran at over 60°c while benchmarking, and with 4ghz at 1.35v it crashed.
    3.8ghz with 1.35v gets me about 40°c - 44°c while benchmarking, and has the same speed in games. Cinebench gives me a score of 1220. (Don't know if thats good because I've seen other people getting like 1400 with stock ryzen 5s)
    With 4ghz I got 1280pts.

    Other than the ryzen I have 16gb 2133 ddr4 ram, a gtx 1080 and a 550 watt power supply.

    Thanks alot!


    The motherboards for Ryzen have a tendency to set the voltages way too high, so by setting it manually, you've likely lowered your voltage a little bit. You may be able to run a little lower voltage for 3.8, it's worth a shot trying to lower it. I'm not sure, but I'd wager your board has some kind of LLC setting. That's "Load Line Calibration". LLC offsets vdroop. Vdroop is the voltage you lose to the core during CPU loading. For instance, if you set 1.35v in the bios, while the CPU is under load, it may drop to 1.342, or lower. With the LLC setting on auto, it may set the LLC level too high, and feed the CPU more voltage than you've prescribed in the bios. High LLC settings can deliver more voltage, but at the expense of the VRM temps. It's usually not be a good idea to use high LLC settings for daily use. For daily, I keep LLC settings at a medium level, to counteract droop.
    Reply to Vellinious
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking CPUs