Solved

1080 or 1070 under current GPU Prices?

With the price of graphics cards being ridiculously high due to the cryptro-currency gold rush this summer I am left wondering which should I buy? The GTX 1070 is only $60-$100 less than the GTX 1080 depending on which one you choose. So my question is is it worth the extra money if i plan on gaming in 1440p.

Here is my proposed build:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
MOBO: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING
RAM: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666
GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB STRIX $475
-or-
GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX $555
PSU: EVGA - BQ 600W 80+ Bronze
SSD: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB (only drive, I don't store media on computer other than OS and games I am playing, History has shown me this is enough for my needs)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400STG
Monitor: Acer - G257HU smidpx 25.0" 2560x1440 60Hz 4ms IPS

I know someone is probably going to mention I am only putting in 8gb of RAM and try to convince that more is better. I just don't buy it. After reading and watching benchmarks 8gb is plenty for now and I can spend that money on a better GPU. however if the 1070 is worth it then maybe some more RAM and SSD storage can be had. Thanks ahead of time for all responses.
Reply to nickythenose
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1080 1070 current gpu prices
  1. Your monitor is limited to 60hz so a 1070 is enough. Could even be a bit waste to get a 1080 that should push a bit higher FPS. A 1070 performs about what the old 980ti does so looks like it push more than enough to fill the 60hz.
    Reply to elbert
  2. the 1080 is much more worth it right now, the extra 100$ for 25% performance increase (since 1070 had 25% less resource than 1080)
    u can do the math :)

it's worth it, the GPU is rated by Tomshardware as the best 1440p and a good 4k performer

ok, now for the RAM:
    yes, the 8 GB is enough, however, seeing that your specs are already at the recommended level, u should see right now that many games already starting to utilize more than 8 GB, given that it's available
    even the devs already stated that recommended RAM is 16 GB at some AAA titles
    Reply to constantine_99
  3. Best answer
    GTX1080 agreed.

I have a system with GTX1080 and there are several games I still have to turn down quality settings slightly to run a 2560x1440, 60FPS. And of course games will get more demanding.

You'll make the money back by delaying the purchase of your next card, and of course have a slightly better experience now.

*I do recommend getting 16GB of system memory (2x8GB) even if you don't require it now. You may find it a hassle to get an identical kit later to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB. (though for now having 16GB, opening and closing some games may be slightly FASTER if Windows isn't forced to move data to the page file to make room for a game)

Also, you should get a 3000MHz or 3200MHz kit since Ryzen will scale that high. Most games/applications don't benefit much but Witcher 3 got a 14% boost: https://www.eteknix.com/memory-speed-large-impact-ryzen-performance/

Sure it's more money, but as a PERCENTAGE to the total build cost it's not much.

250GB is enough?
    Fallout 4 on my PC takes up 84.5GB alone and Gears of War 4 is over 100GB!! A major Windows Update can add 20GB (though you can later delete it), and assuming about 214GB of usable space (due to overprovisioning) after a year of updates plus a few games you'll probably be out of space.

*You can however MOVE STEAM GAMES so you can always buy an HDD later.
    Reply to photonboy
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gtx GPUs Graphics Cards