AMD FX8320 Throttling with GOOD temps on WATER

Hi guys,

I've noticed an issue lately with my AMD-FX 8320 throttling down from 4.4Ghz to as low as 3.6Ghz in HW Monitor (latest version installed).

My temps are well within the acceptable range (usually 50C MAX but thats rare) and all of the power saving options in my BIOS are DISABLED. Let me list my specs.

AMD FX8320 OC'd to 4.4Ghz
Gigabyte 990FXA UD3 Rev 4.0 AM3+ Mobo (Latest F3 Bios version)
4x4gb (16gb) Ripjaws X DDR3 1600mhz @ 9-9-9-24(33)
Corsair RM750X PSU
Corsair H90 AIO Liquid cooler 140mm Rad
Asus Strix 1050ti
Samsung 850 Evo SSD
Windows 10 Home

NOTE: I have ran Prime95 numerous times and have never had an issue. This config has been running for the past 4 months 8+ hours a day with zero issues until now. I am only having throttling issues, no crashing or anything like that.

NOTE 2: When I play CSGO (Source Engine) my CPU usage spikes to 100 percent across all 8 cores. Not sure if this is just great optimization or something else.

- My FSB is at the stock 200Mhz.
- My CPU Multiplier is at 22 (22x200=4400)
- My CPU voltage in BIOS is 1.38125, And HWMonitor shows 1.404 right now, and 1.44 during games.
- My Load Line Calibration is set to Extreme.
- C6E state is Disabled
- APM (Advanced Power Management) is DISABLED.
- Cool n' Quiet is DISABLED
- Turbo Boost is DISABLED
- CPU Unlock is DISABLED (I tried Enabled and Disabled, didn't see any difference)

If I am missing anything else just ask me and I'll check my BIOS again.

I really need help with this as it is really frustrating me. I never even get Blue Screens so I know it is stable.


Any help would be AMAZING!!! THANK YOU!
Reply to TheDecentGatsby
11 answers Last reply
More about amd fx8320 throttling good temps water
  1. With LLC on such high settings, it could be your VRM heating up and causing the throttling. LLC on low settings will offset vdroop a little bit. LLC on high settings, can actually cause higher voltages than set in the bios....but does so at the expense of the VRM.
    Reply to Vellinious
  2. Vellinious said:
    With LLC on such high settings, it could be your VRM heating up and causing the throttling. LLC on low settings will offset vdroop a little bit. LLC on high settings, can actually cause higher voltages than set in the bios....but does so at the expense of the VRM.



    Interesting. I was always confident that the huge heatsinks on this motherboard would suffice, but I guess this could be the issue. I mean, it does make sense. I do have my radiator mounted to the back of my case and it is sitting right above the VRMs. Maybe I will mount it to the top of my case and see if that helps. Thanks!

    Any other input would still be appreciated on this matter.
    Reply to TheDecentGatsby
  3. I would raise your base voltage, and use medium LLC settings.

    If it's not the heat on the VRM, I'm not sure what else would be causing it.
    Reply to Vellinious
  4. Vellinious said:
    I would raise your base voltage, and use medium LLC settings.

    If it's not the heat on the VRM, I'm not sure what else would be causing it.


    What exactly do you mean by 'base' voltage?
    Reply to TheDecentGatsby
  5. I should also mention that sometimes my CPU will clock UP to 4.5ghz....
    Reply to TheDecentGatsby
  6. TheDecentGatsby said:
    Vellinious said:
    I would raise your base voltage, and use medium LLC settings.

    If it's not the heat on the VRM, I'm not sure what else would be causing it.


    What exactly do you mean by 'base' voltage?


    Your base CPU voltage. With the LLC set on extreme, it's running 1.404, but it's set to 1.38v in the bios. I'd raise it a little bit, set your LLC to medium, and retest your stability.
    Reply to Vellinious
  7. Tried it. Won't go past Windows loading screen. I turned LLC back to Extreme, lowered BIOS voltage to 1.35v and changed CPU to 4.0Ghz....we will see. I don't know whats happening. It clocked down to 1.9Ghz right before I turned the CPU down to 4.0ghz.
    Reply to TheDecentGatsby
  8. Bump...anyone else?
    Reply to TheDecentGatsby
  9. TheDecentGatsby said:
    Tried it. Won't go past Windows loading screen. I turned LLC back to Extreme, lowered BIOS voltage to 1.35v and changed CPU to 4.0Ghz....we will see. I don't know whats happening. It clocked down to 1.9Ghz right before I turned the CPU down to 4.0ghz.


    You misunderstand. You need to RAISE your voltage. 1.4v probably. And use medium LLC settings.
    Reply to Vellinious
  10. Vellinious said:
    TheDecentGatsby said:
    Tried it. Won't go past Windows loading screen. I turned LLC back to Extreme, lowered BIOS voltage to 1.35v and changed CPU to 4.0Ghz....we will see. I don't know whats happening. It clocked down to 1.9Ghz right before I turned the CPU down to 4.0ghz.


    You misunderstand. You need to RAISE your voltage. 1.4v probably. And use medium LLC settings.


    Before we misunderstand each other let me mention that my LLC settings are as follows (in no particular order). Extreme, Auto, Normal, Standard, and Low. In all other modes other than extreme, my OC wasn't stable IIRC.
    Reply to TheDecentGatsby
  11. TheDecentGatsby said:
    Vellinious said:
    TheDecentGatsby said:
    Tried it. Won't go past Windows loading screen. I turned LLC back to Extreme, lowered BIOS voltage to 1.35v and changed CPU to 4.0Ghz....we will see. I don't know whats happening. It clocked down to 1.9Ghz right before I turned the CPU down to 4.0ghz.


    You misunderstand. You need to RAISE your voltage. 1.4v probably. And use medium LLC settings.


    Before we misunderstand each other let me mention that my LLC settings are as follows (in no particular order). Extreme, Auto, Normal, Standard, and Low. In all other modes other than extreme, my OC wasn't stable IIRC.


    That's because the extreme LLC setting is raising your voltage higher than what you have set in your bios. If you raise the voltage in the bios to what your CPU needs to run, then you could set LLC to medium...which should just maintain your load voltages, eliminating most of the vdroop. According to your sensor readings, LLC to extreme is raising your voltage to 1.44v when the CPU is under load....
    Reply to Vellinious
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking AMD Gigabyte BIOS Monitors