HELP! Overclocking with i5 7600k

I just finished my new pc build and I have already overclocked my i5 7600k to 4.7ghz @ 1.245 volts.

When stress testing this cpu on Prime 95 the temps instantly rise to 84 - 89c, but when I stress test on Aida 64 the temps don't go above 60c.

Idle temps: 35c
While gaming: >55c

I was wondering if I should continue to overclock my cpu because of how low my temps are in Aida 64, or should I stop because of how high they are getting in Prime 95?

PC SPECS:
i5 7600k
EVGA clc 120mm
MSI z270 SLI PLUS
G.Skill z trident rgb ram (16gb)
2x GTX 970 SLI
EVGA 650BQ
Corsair 460x
Reply to Matt Teh pc geek
6 answers Last reply
More about overclocking 7600k
  1. Which exact model is your PSU? I'm worried because 460w for 2 GPU and a highly overclocked is quite on the low side.
    Reply to Kasper Jorgensen
  2. Kasper Jorgensen said:
    Which exact model is your PSU? I'm worried because 460w for 2 GPU and a highly overclocked is quite on the low side.

    The 460X is a case. He has a 650W PSU.

    @OP what version of P95 are you using?
    Reply to TJ Hooker
  3. TJ Hooker said:
    Kasper Jorgensen said:
    Which exact model is your PSU? I'm worried because 460w for 2 GPU and a highly overclocked is quite on the low side.

    The 460X is a case. He has a 650W PSU.

    @OP what version of P95 are you using?


    v28.9 according to the license.txt file
    Reply to Matt Teh pc geek
  4. Try v26.6. I remember reading that versions after that use AVX instructions that cause heat up CPUs to an unrealistic extent, far more than they would during regular use. Run the small FFTs test.
    Reply to TJ Hooker
  5. TJ Hooker said:
    Try v26.6. I remember reading that versions after that use AVX instructions that cause heat up CPUs to an unrealistic extent, far more than they would during regular use. Run the small FFTs test.


    I will try that and get back to you, but you think benchmarking on Aida64 is good enough?
    Reply to Matt Teh pc geek
  6. MERGED QUESTION
    Question from Matt Teh pc geek : "HELP! Overclocking with i5 7600k"

    Matt Teh pc geek said:
    I just finished my new pc build and I have already overclocked my i5 7600k to 4.7ghz @ 1.245 volts.

    When stress testing this cpu on Prime 95 the temps instantly rise to 84 - 89c, but when I stress test on Aida 64 the temps don't go above 60c.

    Idle temps: 35c
    While gaming: >55c

    I was wondering if I should continue to overclock my cpu because of how low my temps are in Aida 64, or should I stop because of how high they are getting in Prime 95?

    PC SPECS:
    i5 7600k
    EVGA clc 120mm
    MSI z270 SLI PLUS
    G.Skill z trident rgb ram
    2x GTX 970 SLI
    EVGA 650BQ
    Corsair 460x
    Reply to Saga Lout
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Intel i5