Solved

GPU throttling for no reason

I have a 1070 and when I play games the GPU starts at a high clock with the overclock I set around 2154, but then it starts to throttle down about 50mhz. The gpu will cap at around 63C. Which is low I think.
So what is the problem?
Reply to rosieboo
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gpu throttling reason
  1. You can increase the Temp and power limits (max them out) on whatever software you are using to control your GPU. This will lower the chance your GPU will throttle. Also would recommend a custom fan curve.

    here's a good video that explains GPU boost 3.0.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeQe6pEEtVI
    Reply to daswilhelm
  2. Is you card a Founders Edition? These are very likely to throttle.
    Reply to Kasper Jorgensen
  3. daswilhelm said:
    You can increase the Temp and power limits (max them out) on whatever software you are using to control your GPU. This will lower the chance your GPU will throttle. Also would recommend a custom fan curve.

    here's a good video that explains GPU boost 3.0.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeQe6pEEtVI



    I have done both
    Reply to rosieboo
  4. Kasper Jorgensen said:
    Is you card a Founders Edition? These are very likely to throttle.


    NO I have a Galax HOF, it is a beast.
    Reply to rosieboo
  5. When i think about it, I think it is quite normal to see a little throttle on the cards if i remember correctly from the reviews i have read, specially when they are overclocked.
    Reply to Kasper Jorgensen
  6. Boost 3.0 will adjust core clocks and voltages constantly, depending on temps. To maintain clocks, increase fan speed.

    What it's doing is a function of boost 3.0.
    Reply to Vellinious
  7. Vellinious said:
    Boost 3.0 will adjust core clocks and voltages constantly, depending on temps. To maintain clocks, increase fan speed.

    What it's doing is a function of boost 3.0.


    why would it underclock when temps are clearly fine?
    Reply to rosieboo
  8. Best answer
    rosieboo said:
    Vellinious said:
    Boost 3.0 will adjust core clocks and voltages constantly, depending on temps. To maintain clocks, increase fan speed.

    What it's doing is a function of boost 3.0.


    why would it underclock when temps are clearly fine?


    As the temps increase, it becomes less efficient and need more voltage to maintain those clocks. Higher voltages will also increase temps. So, with boost 3.0, it automatically tries to maintain a balance between frequency, voltage and temps to ensure not only good performance, but also efficiency.

    Boost 3.0 will adjust clocks and frequency all along the temp spectrum. I've seen boost 3.0 make adjustments to voltage and frequency adjustments with core temps as low as 12c.
    Reply to Vellinious
  9. Vellinious said:
    rosieboo said:
    Vellinious said:
    Boost 3.0 will adjust core clocks and voltages constantly, depending on temps. To maintain clocks, increase fan speed.

    What it's doing is a function of boost 3.0.


    why would it underclock when temps are clearly fine?


    As the temps increase, it becomes less efficient and need more voltage to maintain those clocks. Higher voltages will also increase temps. So, with boost 3.0, it automatically tries to maintain a balance between frequency, voltage and temps to ensure not only good performance, but also efficiency.

    Boost 3.0 will adjust clocks and frequency all along the temp spectrum. I've seen boost 3.0 make adjustments to voltage and frequency adjustments with core temps as low as 12c.



    ok, thank you everyone
    Reply to rosieboo
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking GPUs Games