Best Cooler for overclocking i5 4690k to 4-4.5 ghz

I'm looking for a cpu cooler to oc my i5 4690k.
Air coolers only.
Also I have been heavily considering the noctua dh dh15 and the hyper 212 evo, and was wondering how big the performance difference was.
Reply to mariogamer9
12 answers Last reply
More about cooler overclocking 4690k ghz
  1. This review is for a different cooler but shows the difference between the CM 212 & DH15 on a 4770K @4.2.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/6.html

    At a higher overclock the DH15 would be the better choice and another good option is the be quiet Dark Rock 3 (or Pro) or Cryorig R1 which isn't as fugly as the Noctua if aesthetics matters to you.
    Reply to WildCard999
  2. The D15 will blow the 212 EVO away, I dunno how close you can get to 4.5 with a 212 EVO but you should be able to hit 4 on both and I bet 4.5 won't be too hard for the D15. BUT, you'll need a pretty large case for either. What is your case?
    Reply to Justiceinacan
  3. Justiceinacan said:
    The D15 will blow the 212 EVO away, I dunno how close you can get to 4.5 with a 212 EVO but you should be able to hit 4 on both and I bet 4.5 won't be too hard for the D15. BUT, you'll need a pretty large case for either. What is your case?

    I have the corsair air carbide 240.
    http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-air-240-arctic-white-high-airflow-micro-atx-and-mini-itx-pc-case
    Reply to mariogamer9
  4. Yikes, I currently use this and can confirm it's not gonna fit anything taller than 120mm. Your best bet is a 120mm or 240mm AIO, 240 will give better performance but be like $100, 120mm will be between $50-$60 for a decent one but won't be as good. You'll be able to pull a decent OC with 120 still.

    Corsair H60 and H100i are both nice, I have the H60 and it works great for me at least. I don't know how well older CORE series chips overclock though, but I would be surprised if you can't get it to 4.0 without many problems. Oh also, did you make sure you're using Z87 or Z97? Because you can't overclock without the Z series chipset.
    Reply to Justiceinacan
  5. I have a 4770K/Z97 with a H100i and it overclocks to around 4.4ghz (4.5ghz was a bit too warm for my liking but still with safe limits around 77C). At the very least 4.2-4.3 should be easily obtainable. Also worth noting is that I did replace the stock fans on the H100i with Corsair 120mm High Performance fans, while they cool slightly better they are quite loud so I'd recommend keeping the stock or going with the quiet versions if you do replace them.
    Reply to WildCard999
  6. WildCard999 said:
    I have a 4770K/Z97 with a H100i and it overclocks to around 4.4ghz (4.5ghz was a bit too warm for my liking but still with safe limits around 77C). At the very least 4.2-4.3 should be easily obtainable. Also worth noting is that I did replace the stock fans on the H100i with Corsair 120mm High Performance fans, while they cool slightly better they are quite loud so I'd recommend keeping the stock or going with the quiet versions if you do replace them.


    Agreed. My 4690K happily OC's to 4.2GHz with a 212 Evo. I can't remember the temps.. And that's with a simple ratio change.

    Nothing's guaranteed with silicon.

    Reply to aquielisunari
  7. After playing Sniper Elite 4 for a while My 4690K's at 4.3GHz and my 212 Evo has a second fan. Simple ratio change without voltage or any other changes.
    Reply to aquielisunari
  8. aquielisunari said:
    After playing Sniper Elite 4 for a while My 4690K's at 4.3GHz and my 212 Evo has a second fan. Simple ratio change without voltage or any other changes.


    Do you know if you can do a stress test and post the temps after that? That would be greatly appreciated.
    Reply to mariogamer9
  9. Also are there any more compact cpu coolers that perform as well as the noctua d15?
    Reply to mariogamer9
  10. mariogamer9 said:
    aquielisunari said:
    After playing Sniper Elite 4 for a while My 4690K's at 4.3GHz and my 212 Evo has a second fan. Simple ratio change without voltage or any other changes.


    Do you know if you can do a stress test and post the temps after that? That would be greatly appreciated.


    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3084719/4690k-reasonable-temps.html at stock
    Reply to aquielisunari
  11. at 4.3GHz
    Reply to aquielisunari
  12. mariogamer9 said:
    Also are there any more compact cpu coolers that perform as well as the noctua d15?


    In the Corsair AIR 240, any tower-styled air cooler is out of the equation. If you want D15 performance, you'll be looking for an h100i or other 240mm AIOs
    Reply to Justiceinacan
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Cooling CPUs Intel i5