Please help - New PC: Was working, now won't boot

Built PC 2 days ago and was working perfectly, installed latest drivers and updated to latest windows 10 version.
Yesterday morning when I turned it on It wouldn't boot, the option to load UEFI only appeared 1/5 of the time I turned the power on.
I did manage to boot windows and updated the BIOS and have drivers for the Nvidia 1080, and I have reinstalled windows twice by the way but now windows will never boot.

I have removed CMOS, GPU, RAM and moved the GPU into another slot, I've booted with only 1 ram stick in, tried with both and still nothing happened. I have easily enough power supplied to my components (Only uses around 330 max and the psu supplies 550). My CPU wasn't overheating when it was working, always below 70 degrees C when playing PUBG on ultra settings.

.
Really confused why this is the case, I can't even edit the BIOS without removing CMOS for 5 mins and then putting it back and turning the power on, but that doesn't allow me to boot up windows.

Specs below just if you need them;

(GPU) GTX 1080,
(CPU)Ryzen 5 1600,
(Motherboard) Asus B350-Strix,
(Ram) Team Group Dark T-Force 2x8 GB DDR4 3000Mhz dual channel kit,
(Power supply) EVGA- SuperNova G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Power supply,
(Storage) Western Blue 500GB SSD 2.5 Inch,
(Case) Coolmaster - Masterbox 5,

Thanks for reading...
Reply to lodlum5
17 answers Last reply
More about working boot
  1. lodlum5 said:
    Built PC yesterday and was working perfectly, installed latest drivers and updated to latest windows 10 version.
    This morning when I turned it on It wouldn't boot, the option to load UEFI only appeared 1/5 of the time I booted.
    When I removed Graphics Card and Ram it booted in to windows, I deleted the Nvidia drivers which required me to restart windows multiple times, which worked fine. However mid-download of the Nvidia drivers it crashed and will not boot again
    .
    Really confused why this is the case, I tried removing the CMOS battery to clear all configurations of the UEFI but it still doesn't boot up. Please help, this is my first PC I've built and spent lots of money on it so is very upsetting that it doesn't work right now.

    Specs below just if you need them;

    (GPU) GTX 1080,
    (CPU)Ryzen 5 1600,
    (Motherboard) Asus B350-Strix,
    (Ram) Team Group Dark T-Force 2x8 GB DDR4 3000Mhz dual channel kit,
    (Power supply) EVGA- SuperNova G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Power supply,
    (Storage) Western Blue 500GB SSD 2.5 Inch,
    (Case) Coolmaster - Masterbox 5,

    Thanks for reading...


    When your pc doesnt boot, how long does this happen for?
    Reply to Mohan_27
  2. Mohan_27 said:
    lodlum5 said:
    Built PC yesterday and was working perfectly, installed latest drivers and updated to latest windows 10 version.
    This morning when I turned it on It wouldn't boot, the option to load UEFI only appeared 1/5 of the time I booted.
    When I removed Graphics Card and Ram it booted in to windows, I deleted the Nvidia drivers which required me to restart windows multiple times, which worked fine. However mid-download of the Nvidia drivers it crashed and will not boot again
    .
    Really confused why this is the case, I tried removing the CMOS battery to clear all configurations of the UEFI but it still doesn't boot up. Please help, this is my first PC I've built and spent lots of money on it so is very upsetting that it doesn't work right now.

    Specs below just if you need them;

    (GPU) GTX 1080,
    (CPU)Ryzen 5 1600,
    (Motherboard) Asus B350-Strix,
    (Ram) Team Group Dark T-Force 2x8 GB DDR4 3000Mhz dual channel kit,
    (Power supply) EVGA- SuperNova G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Power supply,
    (Storage) Western Blue 500GB SSD 2.5 Inch,
    (Case) Coolmaster - Masterbox 5,

    Thanks for reading...


    When your pc doesnt boot, how long does this happen for?


    If you mean how long does it stay on a black screen, then it remains on a black screen indefinitely, well at least a very long time (10 mins plus)
    Reply to lodlum5
  3. lodlum5 said:
    Built PC yesterday and was working perfectly, installed latest drivers and updated to latest windows 10 version.
    This morning when I turned it on It wouldn't boot, the option to load UEFI only appeared 1/5 of the time I booted.
    When I removed Graphics Card and Ram it booted in to windows, I deleted the Nvidia drivers which required me to restart windows multiple times, which worked fine. However mid-download of the Nvidia drivers it crashed and will not boot again
    .
    Really confused why this is the case, I tried removing the CMOS battery to clear all configurations of the UEFI but it still doesn't boot up. Please help, this is my first PC I've built and spent lots of money on it so is very upsetting that it doesn't work right now.

    Specs below just if you need them;

    (GPU) GTX 1080,
    (CPU)Ryzen 5 1600,
    (Motherboard) Asus B350-Strix,
    (Ram) Team Group Dark T-Force 2x8 GB DDR4 3000Mhz dual channel kit,
    (Power supply) EVGA- SuperNova G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Power supply,
    (Storage) Western Blue 500GB SSD 2.5 Inch,
    (Case) Coolmaster - Masterbox 5,

    Thanks for reading...


    Remove your ram , gpu and cmos for 5 to 8 minutes and then put them back and power up your pc.( if you don't have the gpu drivers installed then leave it for now)
    Reply to dickey005
  4. dickey005 said:
    lodlum5 said:
    Built PC yesterday and was working perfectly, installed latest drivers and updated to latest windows 10 version.
    This morning when I turned it on It wouldn't boot, the option to load UEFI only appeared 1/5 of the time I booted.
    When I removed Graphics Card and Ram it booted in to windows, I deleted the Nvidia drivers which required me to restart windows multiple times, which worked fine. However mid-download of the Nvidia drivers it crashed and will not boot again
    .
    Really confused why this is the case, I tried removing the CMOS battery to clear all configurations of the UEFI but it still doesn't boot up. Please help, this is my first PC I've built and spent lots of money on it so is very upsetting that it doesn't work right now.

    Specs below just if you need them;

    (GPU) GTX 1080,
    (CPU)Ryzen 5 1600,
    (Motherboard) Asus B350-Strix,
    (Ram) Team Group Dark T-Force 2x8 GB DDR4 3000Mhz dual channel kit,
    (Power supply) EVGA- SuperNova G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Power supply,
    (Storage) Western Blue 500GB SSD 2.5 Inch,
    (Case) Coolmaster - Masterbox 5,

    Thanks for reading...


    Remove your ram , gpu and cmos for 5 to 8 minutes and then put them back and power up your pc.( if you don't have the gpu drivers installed then leave it for now)


    Just tried this, went to UEFI and all configurations were reset but still after I clicked save options and rest the computer just went to a black screen when going on to boot windows. I know it isn't windows though as it has worked many times before when booting so it wouldn't suddenly change. Thanks though for the idea, I hope you have more suggestions as I'm completely lost right now and have no idea what to do.
    Reply to lodlum5
  5. lodlum5 said:
    dickey005 said:
    lodlum5 said:
    Built PC yesterday and was working perfectly, installed latest drivers and updated to latest windows 10 version.
    This morning when I turned it on It wouldn't boot, the option to load UEFI only appeared 1/5 of the time I booted.
    When I removed Graphics Card and Ram it booted in to windows, I deleted the Nvidia drivers which required me to restart windows multiple times, which worked fine. However mid-download of the Nvidia drivers it crashed and will not boot again
    .
    Really confused why this is the case, I tried removing the CMOS battery to clear all configurations of the UEFI but it still doesn't boot up. Please help, this is my first PC I've built and spent lots of money on it so is very upsetting that it doesn't work right now.

    Specs below just if you need them;

    (GPU) GTX 1080,
    (CPU)Ryzen 5 1600,
    (Motherboard) Asus B350-Strix,
    (Ram) Team Group Dark T-Force 2x8 GB DDR4 3000Mhz dual channel kit,
    (Power supply) EVGA- SuperNova G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Power supply,
    (Storage) Western Blue 500GB SSD 2.5 Inch,
    (Case) Coolmaster - Masterbox 5,

    Thanks for reading...


    Remove your ram , gpu and cmos for 5 to 8 minutes and then put them back and power up your pc.( if you don't have the gpu drivers installed then leave it for now)


    Just tried this, went to UEFI and all configurations were reset but still after I clicked save options and rest the computer just went to a black screen when going on to boot windows. I know it isn't windows though as it has worked many times before when booting so it wouldn't suddenly change. Thanks though for the idea, I hope you have more suggestions as I'm completely lost right now and have no idea what to do.


    You tried it with or without the gpu?
    Reply to dickey005


  6. You tried it with or without the gpu?
    Oh sorry, did you mean to leave it out as I don't have the drivers? I turned the power on with the gpu installed.
    Reply to lodlum5
  7. lodlum5 said:



    You tried it with or without the gpu?
    Oh sorry, did you mean to leave it out as I don't have the drivers? I turned the power on with the gpu installed.

    Yes, leave it out and do that process again.
    Reply to dickey005
  8. Okay, I've taken the stuff out. Should I plug my display port cable into my motherboard then? I usually plug it into my GPU.
    Reply to lodlum5
  9. lodlum5 said:

    Okay, I've taken the stuff out. Should I plug my display port cable into my motherboard then? I usually plug it into my GPU.


    yes, into the mobo.
    Reply to dickey005
  10. dickey005 said:
    lodlum5 said:

    Okay, I've taken the stuff out. Should I plug my display port cable into my motherboard then? I usually plug it into my GPU.


    yes, into the mobo.


    Just attempted to do that, nothing happened; Plugged in the GPU again and it booted into windows but my account has been deleted and all the files are in another directory. I don't want to bother fixing it so am just going to reinstall everything. Will report later if it crashes or anything but it has restarted multiple times without a problem.
    Reply to lodlum5
  11. Okay, so after reinstalling windows and moving the gpu to another input lane, It worked for 15 mins and I installed drivers for GPU and updated the bios, but after I did that everything went back to the beginning and it wouldn't boot up.
    Reply to lodlum5
  12. I might just complain about the gpu and motherboard and get them replaced and see if it works
    Reply to lodlum5
  13. lodlum5 said:
    I might just complain about the gpu and motherboard and get them replaced and see if it works


    Lets try some trouble shooting first,
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/
    Fill this in and look at the recommended voltage,
    I think maybe your PSU is not providing enough power.
    Reply to Mohan_27
  14. Mohan_27 said:
    lodlum5 said:
    I might just complain about the gpu and motherboard and get them replaced and see if it works


    Lets try some trouble shooting first,
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/
    Fill this in and look at the recommended voltage,
    I think maybe your PSU is not providing enough power.


    My PC is an edited build guide from PC Part Picker I just changed the mobo, so I know the power supply is more than enough but anyway the estimated max total requirement for the build is 339W whilst the power supply supplies 550. It doesn't include the case but I presume that's because it requires very minimal amounts of power.
    Reply to lodlum5
  15. MERGED QUESTION
    Question from lodlum5 : "Please Hep! [New PC] : Was working and now wont boot,"

    Built PC 2 days ago and was working perfectly, installed latest drivers and updated to latest windows 10 version.
    Yesterday morning when I turned it on It wouldn't boot, the option to load UEFI only appeared 1/5 of the time I turned the power on.
    I did manage to boot windows and updated the BIOS and have drivers for the Nvidia 1080, and I have reinstalled windows twice by the way but now windows will never boot.

    I have removed CMOS, GPU, RAM and moved the GPU into another slot, I've booted with only 1 ram stick in, tried with both and still nothing happened. I have easily enough power supplied to my components (Only uses around 330 max and the psu supplies 550). My CPU wasn't overheating when it was working, always below 70 degrees C when playing PUBG on ultra settings.

    .
    Really confused why this is the case, I can't even edit the BIOS without removing CMOS for 5 mins and then putting it back and turning the power on, but that doesn't allow me to boot up windows.

    Specs below just if you need them;

    (GPU) GTX 1080,
    (CPU)Ryzen 5 1600,
    (Motherboard) Asus B350-Strix,
    (Ram) Team Group Dark T-Force 2x8 GB DDR4 3000Mhz dual channel kit,
    (Power supply) EVGA- SuperNova G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Power supply,
    (Storage) Western Blue 500GB SSD 2.5 Inch,
    (Case) Coolmaster - Masterbox 5,

    Thanks for reading...
    Reply to lodlum5
  16. MERGED QUESTION
    Question from lodlum5 : "Please Help! [New PC] Was working perfectly, now wont boot"

    Built PC 2 days ago and was working perfectly, installed latest drivers and updated to latest windows 10 version.
    Yesterday morning when I turned it on It wouldn't boot, the option to load UEFI only appeared 1/5 of the time I turned the power on.
    I did manage to boot windows and updated the BIOS and have drivers for the Nvidia 1080, and I have reinstalled windows twice by the way but now windows will never boot.

    I have removed CMOS, GPU, RAM and moved the GPU into another slot, I've booted with only 1 ram stick in, tried with both and still nothing happened. I have easily enough power supplied to my components (Only uses around 330 max and the psu supplies 550). My CPU wasn't overheating when it was working, always below 70 degrees C when playing PUBG on ultra settings.

    .
    Really confused why this is the case, I can't even edit the BIOS without removing CMOS for 5+ mins and then putting it back and turning the power on, but if I restart it will just be a black screen again.

    Specs below just if you need them;

    (GPU) GTX 1080,
    (CPU)Ryzen 5 1600,
    (Motherboard) Asus B350-Strix,
    (Ram) Team Group Dark T-Force 2x8 GB DDR4 3000Mhz dual channel kit,
    (Power supply) EVGA- SuperNova G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Power supply,
    (Storage) Western Blue 500GB SSD 2.5 Inch,
    (Case) Coolmaster - Masterbox 5,

    Thanks for reading...
    Reply to lodlum5
  17. Don't need to start 2 more thread on the same issue
    Reply to rgd1101
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Drivers Video Games Boot Help Desk Boot Failure Black screen windows 10 Not Working