Solved

Which power supply should I use with my specs?

I am planning on building my first gaming PC in a few week and I would like to know which power supply I should choose. I will have i7 7700k and a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 with 8gb DDR4 ram and MSI Z270 Gaming M3 as my motherboard. What power supply should I choose I was thinking about having an EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze or EVGA 550W 80+ Bronze. Which one would you recommend?
Reply to komail.ali2000
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power supply specs
  1. Best answer
    i would recommend the EVGA G2 / G3 550w 80+ gold instead, they are high quality unit and had better eficiency
    Corsair RM could also be another alternative choice

    btw if u haven't bought the PC yet, depending on your PC's side-purpose (as u mentioned gaming pc, perhaps u want to game while stream too) i would recommend Ryzen 7 build instead, with the extra core/threads, u can do multitasking at ease (gaming + streaming with stable performance) all at the cheaper side too (R7 comes with more core/threads at about the same price as i7 7700k, but it also comes with bigger cache, a stock cooler, overclockability too
    Reply to constantine_99
  2. komail.ali2000 said:
    I am planning on building my first gaming PC in a few week and I would like to know which power supply I should choose. I will have i7 7700k and a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 with 8gb DDR4 ram and MSI Z270 Gaming M3 as my motherboard. What power supply should I choose I was thinking about having an EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze or EVGA 550W 80+ Bronze. Which one would you recommend?


    The Seasonic 520W Bronze. Yes, those are two okay PSU's. The Seasonic is better. For $10 more they also have a semi-modular 520W.

    My EVGA 500W 80+ has served me well(4690k, 8GB RAM, EVGA 970 FTW, 4HDD, 1 SSD, DVD RW, 6 fans.
    Reply to aquielisunari
  3. aquielisunari said:
    The Seasonic 520W Bronze. Yes, those are two okay PSU's. The Seasonic is better. For $10 more they also have a semi-modular 520W.


    The Seasonic has a better build quality than EVGA, but neither is truly a "good PSU" by today's standards.
    Reply to jonnyguru
  4. jonnyguru said:
    aquielisunari said:
    The Seasonic 520W Bronze. Yes, those are two okay PSU's. The Seasonic is better. For $10 more they also have a semi-modular 520W.


    The Seasonic has a better build quality than EVGA, but neither is truly a "good PSU" by today's standards.


    Agreed. There are times where someone can't afford a Cadillac. In this case, that doesn't appear to be true but neither is the Seasonic a bad choice. It is a compromise.

    There are times where the OP will choose a PSU that is overkill for their needs. I just offered an alternative.

    You offered some constructive criticism and I appreciate that. Do you recommend any 550W sub $50 PSU?
    Reply to aquielisunari
  5. The Seasonic was a good PSU 10 years ago. It's a double forward topology and doesn't have DC to DC for the non-primary rails. It's not really suitable for modern builds. And with newer platforms, it's going to have a hard time supporting the lower power and sleep modes.

    If you need to stick with a Bronze budget, try the Corsiar CX (the new version with the gray labels), CoolerMaster GM Series, Antec HCG Pro Bronze.... Otherwise, move up to Gold.

    My two cents: The guy doesn't have a Cadillac budget? He's buying an i7 7700 and a GTX 1070. If he can afford that, he should consider a proper PSU that's going to outlast those parts' usefulness.
    Reply to jonnyguru
  6. jonnyguru said:
    The Seasonic was a good PSU 10 years ago. It's a double forward topology and doesn't have DC to DC for the non-primary rails. It's not really suitable for modern builds. And with newer platforms, it's going to have a hard time supporting the lower power and sleep modes.

    If you need to stick with a Bronze budget, try the Corsiar CX (the new version with the gray labels), CoolerMaster GM Series, Antec HCG Pro Bronze.... Otherwise, move up to Gold.

    My two cents: The guy doesn't have a Cadillac budget? He's buying an i7 7700 and a GTX 1070. If he can afford that, he should consider a proper PSU that's going to outlast those parts' usefulness.


    Thanks for that :D
    Reply to aquielisunari
  7. jonnyguru said:
    The Seasonic was a good PSU 10 years ago. It's a double forward topology and doesn't have DC to DC for the non-primary rails. It's not really suitable for modern builds. And with newer platforms, it's going to have a hard time supporting the lower power and sleep modes.

    If you need to stick with a Bronze budget, try the Corsiar CX (the new version with the gray labels), CoolerMaster GM Series, Antec HCG Pro Bronze.... Otherwise, move up to Gold.

    My two cents: The guy doesn't have a Cadillac budget? He's buying an i7 7700 and a GTX 1070. If he can afford that, he should consider a proper PSU that's going to outlast those parts' usefulness.


    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I've decided to go with the EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2, 80+ GOLD.
    Reply to komail.ali2000
  8. jonnyguru said:
    he should consider a proper PSU that's going to outlast those parts' usefulness.

    Do you have a specific suggestion? I am also currently PSU shopping as I have discovered that my EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 is not very good (specs in my profile)
    Reply to HamBown81
  9. HamBown81 said:
    jonnyguru said:
    he should consider a proper PSU that's going to outlast those parts' usefulness.

    Do you have a specific suggestion? I am also currently PSU shopping as I have discovered that my EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 is not very good (specs in my profile)


    can't really find any reference on your PSU
    but if u want to upgrade: the G2/G3 gold can be an alternative, Super Flower Golden Green / Leadex or Corsair RMi / RMx are high quality too

    u can refer to this tier list if u want more option:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
    Reply to constantine_99
  10. jonnyguru said:

    can't really find any reference on your PSU
    but if u want to upgrade: the G2/G3 gold can be an alternative, Super Flower Golden Green / Leadex or Corsair RMi / RMx are high quality too

    u can refer to this tier list if u want more option:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

    Thank you. I did a ton of reading last night about the SuperNOVA G1 having terrible 12v regulation and being bad for OC, now I am worried that I should be replacing it right away. I am already into this thing for $100 CAD, but if it is really that bad I want to get a better one.
    Reply to HamBown81
  11. HamBown81 said:
    jonnyguru said:

    can't really find any reference on your PSU
    but if u want to upgrade: the G2/G3 gold can be an alternative, Super Flower Golden Green / Leadex or Corsair RMi / RMx are high quality too

    u can refer to this tier list if u want more option:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

    Thank you. I did a ton of reading last night about the SuperNOVA G1 having terrible 12v regulation and being bad for OC, now I am worried that I should be replacing it right away. I am already into this thing for $100 CAD, but if it is really that bad I want to get a better one.


    hope u can find the one that suits u, meanwhile, im still pretty content with my HEC PSU since i won't be upgrading my system anytime soon (or more like, can't... :()
    if u live in america, u should have plenty of option to choose from
    Reply to constantine_99
  12. jonnyguru said:

    ...u should have plenty of option to choose from

    That is more of a problem for me than anything. I am very indecisive and end up spending 100 hours reading reviews and never being able to decide...

    I feel like a douche just for writing that... #firstworldproblems
    Reply to HamBown81
  13. HamBown81 said:
    jonnyguru said:

    ...u should have plenty of option to choose from

    That is more of a problem for me than anything. I am very indecisive and end up spending 100 hours reading reviews and never being able to decide...

    I feel like a douche just for writing that... #firstworldproblems


    if u're a budget gamer like, just choose which one is the cheapest XD
    i pick my galax 1050ti coz it's the cheapest brand in the shop where i purchase it
    the difference in your case is just u need to consider the quality, other than that, it's up to your preference and wallet XD
    Reply to constantine_99
  14. jonnyguru said:
    if u're a budget gamer like, just choose which one is the cheapest XD
    i pick my galax 1050ti coz it's the cheapest brand in the shop where i purchase it
    the difference in your case is just u need to consider the quality, other than that, it's up to your preference and wallet XD

    I was a bit freaked out yesterday but after reading the review for my PSU I feel a bit better. I may have overpaid but I don't think I need to run out for a replacement.

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=442
    Reply to HamBown81
  15. HamBown81 said:
    jonnyguru said:
    if u're a budget gamer like, just choose which one is the cheapest XD
    i pick my galax 1050ti coz it's the cheapest brand in the shop where i purchase it
    the difference in your case is just u need to consider the quality, other than that, it's up to your preference and wallet XD

    I was a bit freaked out yesterday but after reading the review for my PSU I feel a bit better. I may have overpaid but I don't think I need to run out for a replacement.

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=442


    seeing the review, which explain that it' still pretty good despite the rumour and news that goes around, at least it'll be enough for your system right now
    i do recommend that u change it later when u're going for a new rig :)
    Reply to constantine_99
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gaming Power Supplies