Solved

i7 7700k OVERCLOCK @5ghz

Hey everyone

i have currently overclocked my i7 7700k to 5ghz and while stress testing it idles at 67-68 Celsius and when idle around 22-28 Celsius.

would i be able to overclock alot more seeing as temps are low when stress testing??



http://imgur.com/a/AQNrl
Reply to Bendigo92
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 7700k overclock 5ghz
  1. "... while stress testing it idles at 67-68 and when idle around 22-28"?
    Could you elaborate please?
    Reply to Phaaze88
  2. It's also a function of voltage. Past a certain point, low temp or not, you're going to have stability issues and data corruption. The system may not want to boot into that config or will simply start crashing when doing certain tasks like games etc.
    You also have to consider that pushing hardware beyond its specs may reduce its lifetime considerably and so may not be worth it.
    Reply to Sedivy
  3. Phaaze88 said:
    "... while stress testing it idles at 67-68 and when idle around 22-28"?
    Could you elaborate please?



    So when i run a stress test it will put the cpu at max load so it will run at 1.33v at 5ghz and only reach 68 Celsius

    And when its not being used it stays at 28 celsius
    Reply to Bendigo92
  4. You could probably go further based on the temps but if you are at 5GHz already with a i7 it would be like throwing $300 away. Dont blow it up. I think with 5GHz you should be ahead of time for a bit.
    Reply to JackM3
  5. Also what are you cooling it with?!?
    Reply to JackM3
  6. Best answer
    Bendigo92 said:
    Phaaze88 said:
    "... while stress testing it idles at 67-68 and when idle around 22-28"?
    Could you elaborate please?



    So when i run a stress test it will put the cpu at max load so it will run at 1.33v at 5ghz and only reach 68 Celsius

    And when its not being used it stays at 28 celsius


    You had posted idle twice and it confused me for a bit.
    You must have a nice cooler on there...
    As long as you're not running it over 90C for long periods of time - over 90+, and the pc becomes your personal space heater - you should be fine... but I'd worry more about the voltage, as that's what usually kills cpus, not heat. These things are designed to run hot - to an extent, of course. You could slowly work the voltage up to 1.4v(increments of 0.05), and make sure to monitor temps. While you CAN go over 1.4v(the rated voltage is 1.5v), no one really advises doing so, most recommending a limit of 1.35v. The gains beyond that aren't worth the risks.
    Reply to Phaaze88
  7. Reply to Bendigo92
  8. Wow thanks. You can keep it that cool with a H105? Thats awesome.
    Reply to JackM3
  9. JackM3 said:
    Wow thanks. You can keep it that cool with a H105? Thats awesome.


    i downclocked tyo 4.8ghz
    also downclocked my 1070

    when i was booting up PUBGS i was getting screen flickers of red and blue lights flashing in the game menu screen and strange background colours unsure on what caused this but from changing cpu u 4.8ghz and downclocking the 1070 it fixed all the issues
    Reply to Bendigo92
  10. Yea going to 5GHz in with todays CPU's can be very unstable. Best to get it at a good state and keep it.
    Reply to JackM3
  11. JackM3 said:
    Yea going to 5GHz in with todays CPU's can be very unstable. Best to get it at a good state and keep it.



    I want to overclock so bad like there are people in passmarks getting a 16000 score on a i7 7700k and im only getting 13000 like how do you manage to make it so fast
    Reply to Bendigo92
  12. They use liquid nitrogen to cool there CPU no joke. Look it up.
    Reply to JackM3
  13. JackM3 said:
    They use liquid nitrogen to cool there CPU no joke. Look it up.


    Yer thats to super max it at like 7ghz

    I thibk the 5ghz was stable and it was just the gpu that needed a tweak.

    I was watching the 5ghz on stress test and it was fine for temp but because i have volts on auto it varied between 1.35-1.44v
    Reply to Bendigo92
  14. Yup. Now you can get your benchmarks lol. I think 5GHz is crazy lol. Best of luck to you. :)
    Reply to JackM3
  15. JackM3 said:
    Yup. Now you can get your benchmarks lol. I think 5GHz is crazy lol. Best of luck to you. :)


    What are you rocking?
    Reply to Bendigo92
  16. Bendigo92 said:
    JackM3 said:
    They use liquid nitrogen to cool there CPU no joke. Look it up.


    Yer thats to super max it at like 7ghz

    I thibk the 5ghz was stable and it was just the gpu that needed a tweak.

    I was watching the 5ghz on stress test and it was fine for temp but because i have volts on auto it varied between 1.35-1.44v


    If aiming for high overclocks, it's best to set voltage manually. Auto is notorious for using more voltage than necessary - but it's fine for small to mild OCs. 1.44v at an automatic setting risks frying your chip. I'd knock that voltage down some to be safe, and then raise it manually like I posted earlier.
    Reply to Phaaze88
  17. Phaaze88 said:
    Bendigo92 said:
    JackM3 said:
    They use liquid nitrogen to cool there CPU no joke. Look it up.


    Yer thats to super max it at like 7ghz

    I thibk the 5ghz was stable and it was just the gpu that needed a tweak.

    I was watching the 5ghz on stress test and it was fine for temp but because i have volts on auto it varied between 1.35-1.44v


    If aiming for high overclocks, it's best to set voltage manually. Auto is notorious for using more voltage than necessary - but it's fine for small to mild OCs. 1.44v at an automatic setting risks frying your chip. I'd knock that voltage down some to be safe, and then raise it manually like I posted earlier.


    https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximus-motherboards/how-to-overclock-to-5ghz-and-beyond-on-the-new-rog-z270-motherboards/

    this profile i found on my BIOS and it works great
    Reply to Bendigo92
  18. Bendigo92 said:
    Phaaze88 said:
    Bendigo92 said:
    JackM3 said:
    They use liquid nitrogen to cool there CPU no joke. Look it up.


    Yer thats to super max it at like 7ghz

    I thibk the 5ghz was stable and it was just the gpu that needed a tweak.

    I was watching the 5ghz on stress test and it was fine for temp but because i have volts on auto it varied between 1.35-1.44v


    If aiming for high overclocks, it's best to set voltage manually. Auto is notorious for using more voltage than necessary - but it's fine for small to mild OCs. 1.44v at an automatic setting risks frying your chip. I'd knock that voltage down some to be safe, and then raise it manually like I posted earlier.


    https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximus-motherboards/how-to-overclock-to-5ghz-and-beyond-on-the-new-rog-z270-motherboards/

    this profile i found on my BIOS and it works great


    Well, alright... your chip's new, so it should be fine for some time. No promises a few years down the line though.
    Reply to Phaaze88
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Celsius Intel i7