What's wrong with my oc?

want to get 550 on Cinebench, but the score doesn't go up anymore. (4.3ghz is the old oc)


http://imgur.com/a/VIQc5
Reply to Mister Darius
8 answers Last reply
More about wrong
  1. List all hardware, high overclocking requires high quality motherboard, cooling & PSU, it also requires luck. Also 550 is 10% more than your current score, that would require a massive increase over your current OC.
    Reply to sizzling
  2. amd fx 6300, gigabyte ga970ud3p, r9 280, corsair cx600 (I know, not the best, but still decent), cooler is Hyper 212 evo, the temps are pretty damn low. And I know that this chip is not the best overclocker, but I'm gonna upgrade early next year so I said fuck it slapped some voltage (currently slightly below 1.5v) and increased the frequency. Tried many different options but I'm somehow stuck at 506 score, when my 1 month old 4.3ghz oc got me 509. I downclocked to 4.2 because the 4.3 ghz clock wasn't 100% stable, but these ones look stable.
    Reply to Mister Darius
  3. Did you check CPU temperatures? Performance flattening out could be due to thermal throttling. CPU power draw tends to increase drastically once you start pushing for those extra MHz beyond what the die is happy with.

    If the CPU temperatures are "damn low" then unless you have an outrageous cooling setup, you may have a defective temperature sensor or the reporting software has the wrong temperature curve for the CPU/board.
    Reply to InvalidError
  4. InvalidError said:
    Did you check CPU temperatures? Performance flattening out could be due to thermal throttling. CPU power draw tends to increase drastically once you start pushing for those extra MHz beyond what the die is happy with.


    The temp doesn't get over 65 degrees Celsius while running the Cinebench test. All cores sitting at 4.42ghz in HWmonitor
    Reply to Mister Darius
  5. Opened the side panel, the package temp stayed at around 62c, still scored 506
    Reply to Mister Darius
  6. Actually your psu is low quality, its not just about voltage and amps but also a smooth constant supply and that psu is not good. I have seen a 200mhz difference in stable OC on an Intel build just by using a top quality psu compared to a low end unit. Also there is a big chunk of luck if you get a good or bad cpu.
    Reply to sizzling
  7. sizzling said:
    I have seen a 200mhz difference in stable OC on an Intel build just by using a top quality psu compared to a low end unit.

    Except OP's question isn't so much about OCing as it is about why a 4.5% bump in frequency yielded a 1% net decrease in benchmark results.

    Yes, a better quality PSU may improve achievable stable overclock frequencies, but it should not affect benchmark results at a given frequency.
    Reply to InvalidError
  8. InvalidError said:
    sizzling said:
    I have seen a 200mhz difference in stable OC on an Intel build just by using a top quality psu compared to a low end unit.

    Except OP's question isn't so much about OCing as it is about why a 4.5% bump in frequency yielded a 1% net decrease in benchmark results.

    Yes, a better quality PSU may improve achievable stable overclock frequencies, but it should not affect benchmark results at a given frequency.


    I missed that, I focused in on the want to get 550.

    In which case Id recommend recording CPU clock speed while running the benchmark to ensure no throttling.
    Reply to sizzling
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Go Overclocking