Solved

GTX 980 Ti overclocking crashes 60C?

I'm a noob at overclocking but can someone clear this up?

Does high temperatures cause gpu crashes or is it just that my card sucks...

I'm using a GTX 980 Ti, and I overclocked core to 1493 and left the memory at stock..

I kept the fan at 100% and I was getting 60C but the pc still crashes?? What am I doing wrong?
Reply to jabriel.ames
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gtx 980 overclocking crashes 60c
  1. jabriel.ames said:
    I'm a noob at overclocking but can someone clear this up?

    Does high temperatures cause gpu crashes or is it just that my card sucks...

    I'm using a GTX 980 Ti, and I overclocked core to 1493 and left the memory at stock..

    I kept the fan at 100% and I was getting 60C but the pc still crashes?? What am I doing wrong?
    Its unstable, probably not getting enough power, you can increase the voltage but probably best looking at a guide.
    Reply to mrjack2207
  2. May be your PSU, and Vcore setting
    Reply to SnoWolf1
  3. Best answer
    That is how it works. If it can't handle that speed it simply wont be stable. Temps only come into play if it is stable at the speed you set it at.

    Its not that your card sucks, its that you are expecting the near impossible. The 980ti peaks around 1400 as a max core overclock (that's with boost).

    It begs the question, how did you overclock to 1493? Did you just set it at that in some software? You have to take into account the boost effect as well, this is why you can only get away with around +100 to the core clocks then once it boost, it should then be around 1400 (generally have to watch it with a monitoring program to see how high it goes like gpuz or whatever you are using to OC with). The 980ti is known to have little OC headroom on the core clocks so that is something to be aware of.

    Memory is another beast altogether though, you should be able to get a significant overclock on the memory before running into issue.
    Reply to SinxarKnights
  4. What model is your GPU, your PSU and how did you overclock.
    Reply to Antonis117
  5. I'm using the GTX 980 Ti Evga reference

    With an evga 600 watt bronze edition

    And I use MSI afterburner

    But in MSI afterburner I can't adjust core voltage?
    Reply to jabriel.ames
  6. SinxarKnights said:
    That is how it works. If it can't handle that speed it simply wont be stable. Temps only come into play if it is stable at the speed you set it at.

    Its not that your card sucks, its that you are expecting the near impossible. The 980ti peaks around 1400 as a max core overclock (that's with boost).

    It begs the question, how did you overclock to 1493? Did you just set it at that in some software? You have to take into account the boost effect as well, this is why you can only get away with around +100 to the core clocks then once it boost, it should then be around 1400 (generally have to watch it with a monitoring program to see how high it goes like gpuz or whatever you are using to OC with). The 980ti is known to have little OC headroom on the core clocks so that is something to be aware of.

    Memory is another beast altogether though, you should be able to get a significant overclock on the memory before running into issue.


    Temps do come into play when considering stability when overclocking. Maxwell loves to run cool. The cooler you keep it, the more stable it'll be and the better it'll run. Pascal is even more so this way.

    Also, the 980ti had a ton of headroom for overclocking....1400 is a very poor overclock on a 980ti, and even 1500 is a poor overclock.

    Not sure who selected this as the "best answer", but......yikes.
    Reply to Vellinious
  7. Vellinious said:
    Not sure who selected this as the "best answer", but......yikes.


    What do you have on yours? Not saying you are wrong but I am going by the overclocks found on google. It appears to max out around 1450 for good cards (that is base not boosted) and 1500 for golden silicon. If you have evidence that a few hundred OCs at 1450 or less is bad then post it up.

    Why would temps make a difference if the overclock is unstable at a low temp? Thats the point i'm trying to make. If you are at 60c and the OC is unstable, the temp doesn't play a role in this situation. If you have to keep it under 60c to make an air cooled card stable, that is just unrealistic.
    Reply to SinxarKnights
  8. SinxarKnights said:
    That is how it works. If it can't handle that speed it simply wont be stable. Temps only come into play if it is stable at the speed you set it at.

    Its not that your card sucks, its that you are expecting the near impossible. The 980ti peaks around 1400 as a max core overclock (that's with boost).

    It begs the question, how did you overclock to 1493? Did you just set it at that in some software? You have to take into account the boost effect as well, this is why you can only get away with around +100 to the core clocks then once it boost, it should then be around 1400 (generally have to watch it with a monitoring program to see how high it goes like gpuz or whatever you are using to OC with). The 980ti is known to have little OC headroom on the core clocks so that is something to be aware of.

    Memory is another beast altogether though, you should be able to get a significant overclock on the memory before running into issue.


    My ASUS Strix GTX 970 turbo boost to 1453mhz. That is 200mhz boost over what ASUS claimed my card can boost to 1253mhz. I doubt 3rd party GTX 980 TI can hit 1600mhz easily.
    Reply to SumTingW0ng
  9. SumTingW0ng said:
    SinxarKnights said:
    That is how it works. If it can't handle that speed it simply wont be stable. Temps only come into play if it is stable at the speed you set it at.

    Its not that your card sucks, its that you are expecting the near impossible. The 980ti peaks around 1400 as a max core overclock (that's with boost).

    It begs the question, how did you overclock to 1493? Did you just set it at that in some software? You have to take into account the boost effect as well, this is why you can only get away with around +100 to the core clocks then once it boost, it should then be around 1400 (generally have to watch it with a monitoring program to see how high it goes like gpuz or whatever you are using to OC with). The 980ti is known to have little OC headroom on the core clocks so that is something to be aware of.

    Memory is another beast altogether though, you should be able to get a significant overclock on the memory before running into issue.


    My ASUS Strix GTX 970 turbo boost to 1453mhz. That is 200mhz boost over what ASUS claimed my card can boost to 1253mhz. I doubt 3rd party GTX 980 TI can hit 1600mhz easily.


    Thats great, i think? we are talking about the 980ti though. But you are right, that 1400 i said is in fact the boost clock. It is more in regards to Vellinious claiming 1500 is a terrible OC, which according to all the reputable sources I can find, simply is not true, 1400 is the norm max with boost overclocked, Anandtech was unable to get more than 1477 which is considered pretty beast for that card, again from all the reputable sources I can find. But to be clear, I am not saying he is wrong, just there are no reports of this card doing 1500 as the norm.
    Reply to SinxarKnights
  10. SinxarKnights said:
    Vellinious said:
    Not sure who selected this as the "best answer", but......yikes.


    What do you have on yours? Not saying you are wrong but I am going by the overclocks found on google. It appears to max out around 1450 for good cards (that is base not boosted) and 1500 for golden silicon. If you have evidence that a few hundred OCs at 1450 or less is bad then post it up.

    Why would temps make a difference if the overclock is unstable at a low temp? Thats the point i'm trying to make. If you are at 60c and the OC is unstable, the temp doesn't play a role in this situation. If you have to keep it under 60c to make an air cooled card stable, that is just unrealistic.


    So, you used google to answer a question.... /smh

    This forum group is full of people that either had, or do still have 980tis. Not many of them would be satisfied with less than 1500 for an overclock. Take a look.... http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club


    1500 is an very average overclock for a 980ti. 1530+ is "ok". 1590+ is very good. The silicon lottery plays it's part, obviously.

    Temps play a large role in the stability of an overclock. 1550 might not be very stable with the core temp at 50c, but it probably would be with the core temp at 30c. It can make all the difference in the world.

    I had 3 980tis. Two of them would clock to 1580, the other would only do 1540...but it was a poor overclocker, with a 68% ASIC.
    Reply to Vellinious
  11. SumTingW0ng said:
    SinxarKnights said:
    That is how it works. If it can't handle that speed it simply wont be stable. Temps only come into play if it is stable at the speed you set it at.

    Its not that your card sucks, its that you are expecting the near impossible. The 980ti peaks around 1400 as a max core overclock (that's with boost).

    It begs the question, how did you overclock to 1493? Did you just set it at that in some software? You have to take into account the boost effect as well, this is why you can only get away with around +100 to the core clocks then once it boost, it should then be around 1400 (generally have to watch it with a monitoring program to see how high it goes like gpuz or whatever you are using to OC with). The 980ti is known to have little OC headroom on the core clocks so that is something to be aware of.

    Memory is another beast altogether though, you should be able to get a significant overclock on the memory before running into issue.


    My ASUS Strix GTX 970 turbo boost to 1453mhz. That is 200mhz boost over what ASUS claimed my card can boost to 1253mhz. I doubt 3rd party GTX 980 TI can hit 1600mhz easily.


    GM204s overclock a lot higher than the full GM200. A properly overclocked 970 or 980 can hit 1600+ very easily. The STRIX is a low power limit GPU with the voltage locked at 1.212v in the bios. A custom bios won't even help it.

    Here ya go. GM204 under water with a custom bios for a little extra voltage, and some really cold ambient temps.

    Reply to Vellinious
  12. Vellinious said:
    SinxarKnights said:
    Vellinious said:
    Not sure who selected this as the "best answer", but......yikes.


    What do you have on yours? Not saying you are wrong but I am going by the overclocks found on google. It appears to max out around 1450 for good cards (that is base not boosted) and 1500 for golden silicon. If you have evidence that a few hundred OCs at 1450 or less is bad then post it up.

    Why would temps make a difference if the overclock is unstable at a low temp? Thats the point i'm trying to make. If you are at 60c and the OC is unstable, the temp doesn't play a role in this situation. If you have to keep it under 60c to make an air cooled card stable, that is just unrealistic.


    So, you used google to answer a question.... /smh

    This forum group is full of people that either had, or do still have 980tis. Not many of them would be satisfied with less than 1500 for an overclock. Take a look.... http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club


    1500 is an very average overclock for a 980ti. 1530+ is "ok". 1590+ is very good. The silicon lottery plays it's part, obviously.

    Temps play a large role in the stability of an overclock. 1550 might not be very stable with the core temp at 50c, but it probably would be with the core temp at 30c. It can make all the difference in the world.

    I had 3 980tis. Two of them would clock to 1580, the other would only do 1540...but it was a poor overclocker, with a 68% ASIC.


    All i see in that link is pages and pages of 1400 - 1475 with the occasional 1500+. Would be so much easier if they had a spreadsheet with the clocks listed for comparison.

    Again you are saying temps play a role. I agree, but not where the OP is concerned and you will not be getting 30c temps without exotic cooling or a busted temp sensor. Are you suggesting he uses some exotic cooling on his card to obtain 30c load temp to make it stable at 1450? Even 50c is impossible without at least water.

    If you like, you can teach the OP how to OC the card, BIOS mod it and increase voltage. Might want to point them at some water cooling gear as well if his OC isn't stable at normal temps.

    What I don't understand is why you would shake your head at someone collecting facts to present to the OP instead of guessing.
    Reply to SinxarKnights
  13. SinxarKnights said:
    Vellinious said:
    SinxarKnights said:
    Vellinious said:
    Not sure who selected this as the "best answer", but......yikes.


    What do you have on yours? Not saying you are wrong but I am going by the overclocks found on google. It appears to max out around 1450 for good cards (that is base not boosted) and 1500 for golden silicon. If you have evidence that a few hundred OCs at 1450 or less is bad then post it up.

    Why would temps make a difference if the overclock is unstable at a low temp? Thats the point i'm trying to make. If you are at 60c and the OC is unstable, the temp doesn't play a role in this situation. If you have to keep it under 60c to make an air cooled card stable, that is just unrealistic.


    So, you used google to answer a question.... /smh

    This forum group is full of people that either had, or do still have 980tis. Not many of them would be satisfied with less than 1500 for an overclock. Take a look.... http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club


    1500 is an very average overclock for a 980ti. 1530+ is "ok". 1590+ is very good. The silicon lottery plays it's part, obviously.

    Temps play a large role in the stability of an overclock. 1550 might not be very stable with the core temp at 50c, but it probably would be with the core temp at 30c. It can make all the difference in the world.

    I had 3 980tis. Two of them would clock to 1580, the other would only do 1540...but it was a poor overclocker, with a 68% ASIC.


    All i see in that link is pages and pages of 1400 - 1475 with the occasional 1500+. Would be so much easier if they had a spreadsheet with the clocks listed for comparison.

    Again you are saying temps play a role. I agree, but not where the OP is concerned and you will not be getting 30c temps without exotic cooling or a busted temp sensor. Are you suggesting he uses some exotic cooling on his card to obtain 30c load temp to make it stable at 1450? Even 50c is impossible without at least water.

    If you like, you can teach the OP how to OC the card, BIOS mod it and increase voltage. Might want to point them at some water cooling gear as well if his OC isn't stable at normal temps.

    What I don't understand is why you would shake your head at someone collecting facts to present to the OP instead of guessing.


    At the beginning of the thread, sure. As people learned to open those cards up, 1500 became the norm...with decent silicon. I know a ton of people that could run over 1600.

    Temps play a role for Maxwell, because Maxwell liked to run cool. Anyone that's good at overclocking, will tell you the same thing. The cooler you keep it, the higher you'll get it to overclock and the less voltage you'll need to get it there.

    30c under load is easily achievable under water.

    He's got an EVGA reference board. He'll have lower power limits, so a custom bios would help for that...BUT...Some of the EVGA reference boards were hard locked to 1.212v, so there might not be much he can do for additional voltage. I'd have to look at the bios to tell.

    I shake my head, because you answered a question, something you very obviously know very little about, but gave him an answer that seemed reasonable enough to another person, that obviously doesn't know (he's asking), and he walks away with a bunch of half truths and gibberish thinking it's the right answer.

    It's the blind leading the blind. It's my biggest complaint about Tom's Hardware. I've seen some absolutely ridiculous answers get selected as "best answer", mostly because someone reinforced their preferential bias that they were leaning toward in the first place....and even though it's completely wrong, it's "best".

    My first thought is, "gee, if I need to google this to find out, maybe I shouldn't be answering it".

    People come here for HELP.....let those that actually know, do the helping.
    Reply to Vellinious
  14. Sorry for hijacking, but quick question since I want to also OC my GPU (MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G), I should be aiming to go @1500+ Core right ?
    Is this counting with the boost ?

    Sorry again.
    Reply to the_bears
  15. the_bears said:
    Sorry for hijacking, but quick question since I want to also OC my GPU (MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G), I should be aiming to go @1500+ Core right ?
    Is this counting with the boost ?

    Sorry again.


    What's the ASIC of the GPU? What kind of cooling are you using? Are you using the stock bios? What PSU are you using? CPU?

    1500ish is a decent overclock for a 980ti. Anywhere near / around that for a daily is pretty good. For benchmarking, 1500 is low.
    Reply to Vellinious
  16. 77.5% , Stock cooling (Twin Frozr), yes I guess (GPU-Z reports 84.00.36.00.07), SuperFlower Leadex Gold 650W 1st Tier here, i5 2500K @4.5 GHz

    Also daily use (7-8h)
    Reply to the_bears
  17. You won't know til ya try. I'd shoot for 1480ish for a daily use clock. Use FS Ultra, graphics test 1 and 2 for stability. Let it loop for an hour or so....that has always worked the best for me.

    77% is pretty decent. You may see higher....might see lower. Just need to find the sweet spot for your cooling, and voltage.
    Reply to Vellinious
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Gtx