Solved

Cooling for Overclocked I7-7700k

I'm getting an I7-7700k soon and I'm looking for a good cooler to support overclocking. Looking on Newegg.com the best I could find is the Cooler Master Hyper 212. All of the reviews mentioned fx or i5 processors. Will this cooler work for me? Or is there another one that I should get?

Edit: Processor uses LGA 1151 socket.
Reply to supershadow515
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cooling overclocked 7700k
  1. Noctua NH-D15S, CRYORIG R1 Universal, PH-TC14PE.


    212 AND 7700K a recipe for disappointment.
    Reply to biglizard
  2. Which one would you recommend?
    Reply to supershadow515
  3. Noctua NH-D15S, make sure it will fit in the case you have.
    Reply to biglizard
  4. Take watercooling because if you want oc this cpu then you will need good cooling. Take NZXT Kraken x62 or corsair h100i v2
    Reply to laassiim
  5. supershadow515 said:
    I'm getting an I7-7700k soon and I'm looking for a good cooler to support overclocking. Looking on Newegg.com the best I could find is the Cooler Master Hyper 212. All of the reviews mentioned fx or i5 processors. Will this cooler work for me? Or is there another one that I should get?

    Edit: Processor uses LGA 1151 socket.


    I have this CPU and have an AIO (watercooling) Corsair H100i V2 and I have quite high temps still. I'd suggest a high end cooler for the 7700K
    Intel messed up the fabrication of it and the internal thermal paste is very bad, I got mine "delid" and gained 25°C
    so that's an option
    You could do it yourself very carefully (you need to actually open the CPU) or ask a professional.
    Reply to esathor
  6. I've never tried water cooling. Is it easy to install? (Btw, space isn't a problem. This is my case:https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16811353064)
    Reply to supershadow515
  7. esathor said:
    supershadow515 said:
    I'm getting an I7-7700k soon and I'm looking for a good cooler to support overclocking. Looking on Newegg.com the best I could find is the Cooler Master Hyper 212. All of the reviews mentioned fx or i5 processors. Will this cooler work for me? Or is there another one that I should get?

    Edit: Processor uses LGA 1151 socket.


    I have this CPU and have an AIO (watercooling) Corsair H100i V2 and I have quite high temps still. I'd suggest a high end cooler for the 7700K
    Intel messed up the fabrication of it and the internal thermal paste is very bad, I got mine "delid" and gained 25°C
    so that's an option
    You could do it yourself very carefully (you need to actually open the CPU) or ask a professional.


    I don't know about opening up the cpu. Besides, wouldn't a really high end cooler help bring that temperature down?
    Reply to supershadow515
  8. supershadow515 said:
    esathor said:
    supershadow515 said:
    I'm getting an I7-7700k soon and I'm looking for a good cooler to support overclocking. Looking on Newegg.com the best I could find is the Cooler Master Hyper 212. All of the reviews mentioned fx or i5 processors. Will this cooler work for me? Or is there another one that I should get?

    Edit: Processor uses LGA 1151 socket.


    I have this CPU and have an AIO (watercooling) Corsair H100i V2 and I have quite high temps still. I'd suggest a high end cooler for the 7700K
    Intel messed up the fabrication of it and the internal thermal paste is very bad, I got mine "delid" and gained 25°C
    so that's an option
    You could do it yourself very carefully (you need to actually open the CPU) or ask a professional.


    I don't know about opening up the cpu. Besides, wouldn't a really high end cooler help bring that temperature down?


    the i7 7700K temps are pretty damn bad...
    I have a high end cooler and get 70°C in game, and now with the "delid" of my CPU I am around 45-50°C
    Reply to esathor
  9. Is this "delid" process safe? I'm spending a good chunk of money on this thing. I don't want to break it and have to buy a new one.
    Reply to supershadow515
  10. Best answer
    supershadow515

    Delidding is a last ditch effort, and should only be done "IF" temps are out of control after sufficient cooling cannot be achieved with traditional means.

    Not all 7700k samples will have a bad thermal problem.

    Please do yourself a favor and look up premium air cooling versus AIO.

    If watercooling is what you end up deciding on then look at Swiftech or a kit from EK.
    Reply to biglizard
  11. supershadow515 said:
    Is this "delid" process safe? I'm spending a good chunk of money on this thing. I don't want to break it and have to buy a new one.


    Yes delid is safe if you ask a pro to do it (but it comes at a price, i think around 50€)
    You can do it yourself and it is cheaper but it is tricky

    If you are not confident doing it yourself, ask a pro, it is safe
    It is as safe as changing regular thermal paste, just it happens on the inside
    Reply to esathor
  12. I think I'll stay on the cautious side and wait to delid unless it's necessary.

    Meanwhile, I think I've found an air cooler that should work: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835128023
    Reply to supershadow515
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Cooler Master Support Intel i7 Cooling