Overclocking 7820X + New build

Hi all,

It'd been a while since I posted last with my build and I have to say, the 3570k, Z77 Asrock Extreme 4 Mobo combo has served me so well and still does! Still able to play high res games to this day.

Alas, it was time for a new challenge! I have gone for the following build after a lot of research and am after a bit of advice:
CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 40.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - X299 RAIDER ATX LGA2066
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000
Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 SSD
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" SSD
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" SSD
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" SSD
Power Supply: EVGA - 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX PSU
Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Blower

So, the plan is to get that i7 cranked up as high as I can so I am able to test the limits and have tried to go for a heavy duty water cooler. I guess what I am hoping for some advise on, is how would you go about overclocking this new processor step by step and do you think the Cooler will enable me to keep cool without damage if I can reach above 5Ghz?

The second bit would be, do I exchange the Zotac 1080 Ti Blower for a more upmarket 1080 Ti for overclocking? If so, which variant is a good option?

If there are any holes in the build, please do shout out. Open to criticism as I did rush the GFX card.

I will delve more in to cooling questions in another thread depending on your answers here. This is more about the build than overclocking though, I appreciate all your feedback.

Cheers all,

Daz
Reply to Dazzler362
11 answers Last reply
More about overclocking 7820x build
  1. Dazzler362 said:
    Hi all,

    It'd been a while since I posted last with my build and I have to say, the 3570k, Z77 Asrock Extreme 4 Mobo combo has served me so well and still does! Still able to play high res games to this day.

    Alas, it was time for a new challenge! I have gone for the following build after a lot of research and am after a bit of advice:
    CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 40.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: MSI - X299 RAIDER ATX LGA2066
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000
    Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 SSD
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" SSD
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" SSD
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" SSD
    Power Supply: EVGA - 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX PSU
    Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Blower

    So, the plan is to get that i7 cranked up as high as I can so I am able to test the limits and have tried to go for a heavy duty water cooler. I guess what I am hoping for some advise on, is how would you go about overclocking this new processor step by step and do you think the Cooler will enable me to keep cool without damage if I can reach above 5Ghz?

    The second bit would be, do I exchange the Zotac 1080 Ti Blower for a more upmarket 1080 Ti for overclocking? If so, which variant is a good option?

    If there are any holes in the build, please do shout out. Open to criticism as I did rush the GFX card.

    I will delve more in to cooling questions in another thread depending on your answers here. This is more about the build than overclocking though, I appreciate all your feedback.

    Cheers all,

    Daz


    The new 7000x series from intel is pretty bad for overclocking. You need a really good cooler to even run them at stock.
    I would just get a ryzen 1800 or so and use that. Also why 3 525gb ssd's?
    Reply to jaslion
  2. They are out of the old machine, striped config.
    Ryzen doesn't perform per core against 7820x from my research, plus blender which will be used heavily is almost doubled in performance against Ryzen 1800
    Reply to Dazzler362
  3. If you want 5ghz only way to get that is 7700K, or the 7740X.

    the Ryzen 1800X should beat the 7820X in blender, that doesn't sound right.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  4. Reply to Dazzler362
  5. Dazzler362 said:


    All I see is the 7820x being about 5-10% faster than a 1700.
    Reply to jaslion
  6. Dazzler362 said:


    The first threadripper benchmarks have surfaced. You might want to look into that. For a similar price you can get a 1920x + motherboard (instead of the i7 + motherboard) and it pretty much destroys the 7820x.
    Reply to jaslion
  7. jaslion said:
    Dazzler362 said:


    The first threadripper benchmarks have surfaced. You might want to look into that. For a similar price you can get a 1920x + motherboard (instead of the i7 + motherboard) and it pretty much destroys the 7820x.


    OP is interested in gaming, TR is not a gaming chip.
    Reply to KirbysHammer
  8. For overclocking, I would get a higher quality motherboard. X299 Raider is bottom of the entry level boards, so the componentry won't be of superior quality, and not the best choice for hard overclocking.

    My recommendation? Ditch one of the Mx300's, and spend the money on either the Rampage VI Apex (the best X299 overclocking motherboard period), or the MSI gaming M7 or Pro Carbon AC. All 3 are very good quality, but for the easiest and best overclocking experience, Rampage VI Apex is the way to go, without a doubt, but it comes at an additional cost.
    Reply to lrrelevant
  9. Since the new HEDT lineup from Intel doesn't have the IHS soldered, heat is going to be a real issue for these processors. Pushing the core clocks high will require a delid and a cooling loop....NOT an AIO or air....

    Also...why the 7820 if you're just looking for a gaming processor? The coffee lake processors will release soon, they're 6 core / 12 thread on the mainstream platform, and WILL be the best gaming processor available.
    Reply to Vellinious
  10. Vellinious said:
    Since the new HEDT lineup from Intel doesn't have the IHS soldered, heat is going to be a real issue for these processors. Pushing the core clocks high will require a delid and a cooling loop....NOT an AIO or air....

    Also...why the 7820 if you're just looking for a gaming processor? The coffee lake processors will release soon, they're 6 core / 12 thread on the mainstream platform, and WILL be the best gaming processor available.


    I think he updated his description since at first it was a primary blender render rig gaming second.
    Reply to jaslion
  11. That explains it
    Reply to Vellinious
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking