Solved

i5 7500 vs ryzen 3 1200 with OC

currently i have a system with a Pentium g4400 and im thinking of upgrading the thing my cpu and board are going to my brother as he wants a pc for light gaming and im wandering whats more worth it the i5 7500 or the ryzen 1200 and a new board
Reply to romerrr
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 7500 ryzen 1200
  1. Can you afford the extra few dollars for a 1400? Because if you can I'd do that. Not much reason to buy a 4C/4T processor these days. It also depends on which games you play. If you play mostly CSGO or other esports titles, the i5 might not be such a bad choice, but if you play AAA titles there's not much reason to spend that much on only 4 threads.
    Reply to chemmajorp53
  2. chemmajorp53 said:
    Can you afford the extra few dollars for a 1400? Because if you can I'd do that. Not much reason to buy a 4C/4T processor these days. It also depends on which games you play. If you play mostly CSGO or other esports titles, the i5 might not be such a bad choice, but if you play AAA titles there's not much reason to spend that much on only 4 threads.

Why not? My i5-4690 is close to 75 fps in most new games I play. 4C/4T is fine unless the user's demand is higher.

That being said, the R3 1200 is infinitely better value than the i5-7500 even at stock speeds. There isn't a reason to still go for an Intel i5 this year.
    Reply to RCFProd
  3. Yeah but you bought it a few years ago when you couldn't get an 8 thread processor for the same price. Fine and ideal aren't the same thing. My 4670k is "fine" too but if you gave me the option to swap it out for an R5 1600, which I would have paid about the same for as when I bought the i5 new, I would have gladly done it.
    Reply to chemmajorp53
  4. It completely depends on the user's demands. For me 4C/4T is still fully sufficient and It's the same way for many other quad core users.

The user above even talks about light gaming. Seems like he'll be fine with a decent quad core that merely costs 110 dollars.
    Reply to RCFProd
  5. As an i5 gamer Id go Ryzen, just looks a better long term investment. Games are starting to benefit from more than 4 threads.
    Reply to sizzling
  6. chemmajorp53 said:
    Yeah but you bought it a few years ago when you couldn't get an 8 thread processor for the same price. Fine and ideal aren't the same thing. My 4670k is "fine" too but if you gave me the option to swap it out for an R5 1600, which I would have paid about the same for as when I bought the i5 new, I would have gladly done it.

Just because Ryzen doesn't mean anything changed. Quad Core CPUs are still as relevant as ever before. Plus, stuff isn't optimized for 6-8 cores yet either. Are 6 and 8 core CPUs more future proof. Of course! But that doesn't mean quad core CPUs are not obsolete.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  7. Oh i see what you mean now.

Sure buy the 6 core CPU if it's in your price range, but if only quad cores are in your price range, there's nothing wrong with those.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  8. I'm not saying they're obsolete (I don't plan on upgrading my i5 for at least a year), all I'm saying is that I don't think it's a good decision to buy a 4C/4T CPU when you could have 8T for $30 more, just my 2c
    Reply to chemmajorp53
  9. chemmajorp53 said:
    I'm not saying they're obsolete (I don't plan on upgrading my i5 for at least a year), all I'm saying is that I don't think it's a good decision to buy a 4C/4T CPU when you could have 8T for $30 more, just my 2c

100% agree. But unfortunately some peeps just can't get that $30 more into a CPU (which drives me nuts sometimes).
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  10. Best answer
    That's a tough choice, let me say this: choose based on your future upgrade objective. Right now the i5-7500 is CERTAINLY better than a 1200/1300X overclocked, the trick however is on the "what's next?" question, if you go for a i5-7500 you will have the better gaming performance in that range of price without a doubt, however the only viable upgrade from there would be either the i7-7700 or the 7700K('K' doesn't come with a cooler, just to keep in mind), both of them are quite expensive.

On the other side if you get a 1200 and OC it you will have significant less performance than a i5-7500 though it won't stop you from playing any game at all, however on the Ryzen side you have much better upgrade options: 1500X (8 threads) and specially the 1600 (6-core 12-thread) where the 1600 gives you best of both worlds: better gaming performance than the i5 and future-potential with +2 cores for when games start being optimized for more cores, all that for less than the i7 line. I do not recommend the 1400 though it has a worse cooler than the 1500X and less cache, makes more sense to start low on a 1200 and then upgrade to a 1500X or a 1600.

I would say this: only stay with the 7th gen if you are going to get a i7-7700 in the future or you are short on money, the i5-7500 will carry you good for some years for sure (there is no way games will require more than 4-core for a good time because less than 10% of all players has it), else go for Ryzen.

1)i5-7500 > [2+ years] > upgrade for a i7-7700
    2)Ryzen 1200(OC) + B250 mobo > [2+ years] > upgrade for a Ryzen 1600 and safe-OC it a little bit

It's more like a question of: you prefer more cores for slightly less performance or keep with i7 8-thread for gaming-focused machine. Keep in mind your ultimate goals: Ryzen 1600 vs i7-7700, though the AMD processors are cheaper, you must discount the mobo price so... in the end it would all have similar cost.
    Reply to NekuroRS
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Pentium ryzen Intel i5