Has my Seagate 1 TB HDD failed?? HD Tune still showing health OK

Hi guys, one of my 1 TB HDDs is showing it's SMART parameter as failed in HD Tune Pro. But it's overall health is showing as OK and green. But I am really worried about data loss. Is this HDD reaching it's end of life cycle?

I have already moved my important data to other HDD with all SMART parameters marked as OK. But still I feel tempted to utilize this HDD 1 TB space for storage as it's a large HDD and 1 TB storage is a lot to me. Moreover, all data stored on it has never been corrupted till now nor any error occurred while doing data transfers.

Please help!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8U3k66LJjKzZmN5cnJsV0VSYzQ

Thanks in advance!
Reply to manish30885
10 answers Last reply
More about seagate hdd failed tune showing health
  1. use the manufacturers test software on it

    seatools think its called
    Reply to mcnumpty23
  2. How many years old is your drive? If you really think it's got useful life left, consider getting GRC.com's Spinright App. It will usually restore data from failed drives and running it on a drive can give the drive new life (marks out bad sectors among other tricks). It will cost you about the same as a new 1TB drive, but will be useful forever on other drives.
    Reply to rchris
  3. Have you double checked that the data you pulled from that drive is intact? The "End to End Error Detection" indicates data corruption is occurring, and the drive won't always notice. It could very well be transferring corrupted files with no warnings.
    Reply to TMTOWTSAC
  4. TMTOWTSAC said:
    Have you double checked that the data you pulled from that drive is intact? The "End to End Error Detection" indicates data corruption is occurring, and the drive won't always notice. It could very well be transferring corrupted files with no warnings.


    I've moved my important data off that HDD which I can't afford to lose and I've checked all those data files are fine and 100% readable. Currently I am only keeping large files like videos and games on this HDD. I haven't cross checked each and every file for corruption but all videos are accessible and playing perfectly.
    Reply to manish30885
  5. Yes that drive is failing. Cut your losses and clone to a new drive. It will not get better only worse.
    Reply to fancarolina
  6. rchris said:
    How many years old is your drive? If you really think it's got useful life left, consider getting GRC.com's Spinright App. It will usually restore data from failed drives and running it on a drive can give the drive new life (marks out bad sectors among other tricks). It will cost you about the same as a new 1TB drive, but will be useful forever on other drives.


    It's certainly out of warranty now. I think 2 years have passed since I bought this HDD. Seagate HDDs btw have high failure rates as you can also find on various review sites. This one is actually a replaced HDD that I got after my original HDD failed within few months of purchase! that was 7200.11. This one is 7200.12 ... all my other HDDs (like WD 1 TB) were bought around the same period and their SMART parameters are 100% OK.
    Reply to manish30885
  7. fancarolina said:
    Yes that drive is failing. Cut your losses and clone to a new drive. It will not get better only worse.


    okay, thanks. I will replace this HDD soon with new one. I've heard sata HDDs gradually fail over time.. so will it give me a warning before it completely dies out and no longer accessible by system??

    I am slowly moving all my important data to new HDDs that I have. But some of the data is still residing on it as 1 TB space is a lot of data and I am getting short of some few hundred GBs.
    Reply to manish30885
  8. mcnumpty23 said:
    use the manufacturers test software on it

    seatools think its called


    I performed all tests on this HDD via seatools on your insistence including short drive self test, generic short and generic long. I still have some data stored on HDD so I didn't perform advanced tests.

    But all non destructive tests have passed without errors. I don't understand. Seatools seems to find no problem with my HDD. :??:
    Reply to manish30885
  9. manish30885 said:
    mcnumpty23 said:
    use the manufacturers test software on it

    seatools think its called


    I performed all tests on this HDD via seatools on your insistence including short drive self test, generic short and generic long. I still have some data stored on HDD so I didn't perform advanced tests.

    But all non destructive tests have passed without errors. I don't understand. Seatools seems to find no problem with my HDD. :??:



    bit peculiar

    as would expect the manufacturers tool to be accurate
    Reply to mcnumpty23
  10. You might want to take a look at HD Sentinel's take on this "end to end" error report...
    https://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10914

    I recall one (maybe two) instances of ever having come across this error. In one instance the drive (can't recall make/model) was still under warranty so it was replaced. In the other (I think) instance the drive was taken out of service.
    Reply to ArtPog
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Health Hard Drives HD Seagate