OCing 6600K with Z170i MOBO - Voltage Issue

Hi guys,

I'm not new to overclocking but I've run into a bit of an issue that I can't seem to fix by myself. So here I am!

So yesterday I finished my verifying stress test on Aida64 which lasted 24 hours at 4.8Ghz at 1.325v, temps were around the 75s at max during the test. As far as I'm concerned, that's a good OC.

I then, this morning decided to update my BIOS as I only got this motherboard a couple days ago (I know I should have done this before OC but I'm an idiot sometimes). I knew what settings I used for my OC so set them back to what they were, went to stress test again and I got BSODs which I thought was strange. So I double checked CPU-Z and my voltage is sitting at 1.312 and bouncing to 1.328 even at idle. Nothing I do in BIOS will allow me to set my voltage to 1.325 anymore. I've disabled speedstep, and enabled over-voltage in bios and it still wont work. I also have my power management settings in Windows set to High Performance.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Reece
Reply to Reece OBrien
10 answers Last reply
More about ocing 6600k z170i mobo voltage issue
  1. Well first of all Aida64 is not good for stress test, best software after gaming itself would be Intel burn test, use it when overclocking.
    Newer version of Bios not always the best one, i recently have updated bios to the latest version and it gave me some issues so i had to roll back.
    Go to Bios and set all settings to default or best just reset bios. Start always with only voltage and frequency, leave other settings for later. Set your manual voltage to 1.300v and 4.6GHZ, stress test with Intel burn test for 10-15 min on maximum. Then according if it stable or not and temperature readings - lower or rise your clock/voltage. There is no point wasting time running stress tests for 24 hours, stress cpu for around 10-15min, it should be enough for this stage. If you pass it still doesnt mean that u are stable, i usually play curtain games to test stability which works for me as a charm.
    Also important that u check your vcore with HWmonitor in windows, sometimes you can experience vdrop (when voltage drop under heavy load compared to what u set in Bios) Then you will have to tweak your LLC
    Reply to Makentox
  2. Makentox said:
    Well first of all Aida64 is not good for stress test, best software after gaming itself would be Intel burn test, use it when overclocking.
    Newer version of Bios not always the best one, i recently have updated bios to the latest version and it gave me some issues so i had to roll back.
    Go to Bios and set all settings to default or best just reset bios. Start always with only voltage and frequency, leave other settings for later. Set your manual voltage to 1.300v and 4.6GHZ, stress test with Intel burn test for 10-15 min on maximum. Then according if it stable or not and temperature readings - lower or rise your clock/voltage. There is no point wasting time running stress tests for 24 hours, stress cpu for around 10-15min, it should be enough for this stage. If you pass it still doesnt mean that u are stable, i usually play curtain games to test stability which works for me as a charm.
    Also important that u check your vcore with HWmonitor in windows, sometimes you can experience vdrop (when voltage drop under heavy load compared to what u set in Bios) Then you will have to tweak your LLC


    I'm certain I'm experiencing V Drop. Could you elaborate on LLC for me? Thanks so much for your reply.
    Reply to Reece OBrien
  3. Okay so did some research regarding LLC and what the settings within my Asus BIOS mean. I experimented using LLC Levels 1-7, my understanding being that the higher the level, the less vdroop I should get from my overridden vcore setting.

    I have my vcore set to 1.35 and multiplier set to 48.

    At level 7 LLC I can see that (although the voltage bounces around between 1.28-1.33), at idle loads, my vcore is closer to what I set it to manually, but still not even reaching that.

    Under load in a stress test, the vdroop is still there, I think my vcore hits 1.32 max. This is so frustrating. If I set my vcore to 1.35, I want it to run at 1.35!

    So confused lol
    Reply to Reece OBrien
  4. Try to use Intel burn test instead of AIDA64, 0.020v vdrop is fine, also set back power option to balanced just in case, you dont really need high performance nowadays, its only useful for laptops. Let Intel speedstep function....
    Make sure you dont touch any other setting in Bios beside LLC, voltage and frequency. As i said reset Bios if you tweaked things u dont remember.
    So just play with these settings at this stage until u find stable OC. Other settings in Bios has only minimal impact on OC and they are much complicated and you shouldnt touch them on your "first try"
    So my personal numbers are stay UNDER 1.400v and 80C for DAILY USE. Its fine if u hit 90C during stress test because during normal use you wont see any numbers close to 90C.
    What is your cooler?
    Reply to Makentox
  5. Makentox said:
    Try to use Intel burn test instead of AIDA64, 0.020v vdrop is fine, also set back power option to balanced just in case, you dont really need high performance nowadays, its only useful for laptops. Let Intel speedstep function....
    Make sure you dont touch any other setting in Bios beside LLC, voltage and frequency. As i said reset Bios if you tweaked things u dont remember.
    So just play with these settings at this stage until u find stable OC. Other settings in Bios has only minimal impact on OC and they are much complicated and you shouldnt touch them on your "first try"
    So my personal numbers are stay UNDER 1.400v and 80C for DAILY USE. Its fine if u hit 90C during stress test because during normal use you wont see any numbers close to 90C.
    What is your cooler?


    The last time I OCed was when I had a Haswell chip and if I remember rightly there was no benefit in LLC for those processors so this side of things were new to me! I'm using a Corsair H100i for cooling in a pull config. Would love push pull but its in a Corsair Air 240 chassis and I have a Strix 1060 in there, nowhere near enough room. I get amazing temps though.

    I'll keep playing and report back what I manage to achieve. Do you think so long as I stay below 1.4v and 90 under load I should try for a 5GHz OC?
    Reply to Reece OBrien
  6. Okay so I have my vcore set to 1.4v and LLC set to level 7 and under load I'm not even hitting 1.3v. Am I missing something?

    On HWMonitor it says my LLC offset is +0.00 still despite my settings in BIOS
    Reply to Reece OBrien
  7. Reece OBrien said:
    Okay so I have my vcore set to 1.4v and LLC set to level 7 and under load I'm not even hitting 1.3v. Am I missing something?

    On HWMonitor it says my LLC offset is +0.00 still despite my settings in BIOS


    Can u make a screenshot of HWmonitor under voltages" section while IBT is active?
    You need very high voltage, custom water loop or delid to achieve 5GHZ and still it may not be stable. 4.8 is perfect spot for 24/7 for anything higher you need to pass 1.400V. I have delided CPU and can run 5GHZ stable at +-1.490v, which is uncomfortable zone for me even tho my temperature barely hit 85C on this voltage during IBT. Right now for daily use i have 4.8 at 1.376v
    Also voltage reading in windows are not exactly what real voltage is, real voltage can be only read directly on motherboard using voltmeter.
    Hwmonitor will always show LLC +0.00
    Here is a guide with statistic of what other people could achieve. http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics
    Reply to Makentox
  8. Makentox said:
    Reece OBrien said:
    Okay so I have my vcore set to 1.4v and LLC set to level 7 and under load I'm not even hitting 1.3v. Am I missing something?

    On HWMonitor it says my LLC offset is +0.00 still despite my settings in BIOS


    Can u make a screenshot of HWmonitor under voltages" section while IBT is active?
    You need very high voltage, custom water loop or delid to achieve 5GHZ and still it may not be stable. 4.8 is perfect spot for 24/7 for anything higher you need to pass 1.400V. I have delided CPU and can run 5GHZ stable at +-1.490v, which is uncomfortable zone for me even tho my temperature barely hit 85C on this voltage during IBT. Right now for daily use i have 4.8 at 1.376v
    Also voltage reading in windows are not exactly what real voltage is, real voltage can be only read directly on motherboard using voltmeter.
    Hwmonitor will always show LLC +0.00
    Here is a guide with statistic of what other people could achieve. http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics


    Of course, here is a screenshot;

    http://

    This is with vcore set to 1.4 and the max vcore on HWMonitor was when it was idle.

    Thanks again for your replies.
    Reply to Reece OBrien
  9. Not these voltages, u need vcore readings... u find them on top of HWmonitor... You have dangerously high temperatures, you should differ vid and vcore or else u gonna end it badly, because 7level LLC always increase voltage much higher. Use LLC 6
    Reply to Makentox
  10. Makentox said:
    Not these voltages, u need vcore readings... u find them on top of HWmonitor... You have dangerously high temperatures, you should differ vid and vcore or else u gonna end it badly, because 7level LLC always increase voltage much higher. Use LLC 6


    Oh okay, Vcore at the top is showing 1.408 max, why is this different to the voltage I screenshotted?
    Reply to Reece OBrien
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking DRAM Voltage Intel Intel i5