Would Peltier-ice cooling work?

My idea is that you fill a case with mineral oil, and then make one side out of peltier devices. Then take a container of the same size as the peltier side of the case, fill it with water. Freeze it and attach it to the case.

Logically, the thermal energy should be converted to electrical energy, and then it's merely a case of replacing the ice block every now and then?
Reply to MEMESEY
10 answers Last reply
More about peltier ice cooling work
  1. Any lower than ambient cooling is a non-starter in most cases. The loss of cooling to the ambient environment will happen continuously. Unless you were in a vacuum to isolate your cold, you just waste energy, generate a huge amount of condensation, and make a mess.
    Reply to kanewolf
  2. Quote:
    then it's merely a case of replacing the ice block every now and then


    Every hour or two...


    Constructs like this are good for a one time experiment, to prove a point, or achieve some magical OC number, never to be repeated.
    Momentary bragging rights.

    Expense, condensation, time wasted.

    What, specifically, is the desire for this?
    As a hobby, sure. Go for it.
    To get better 'performance'? No. Unless you measure 'performance' in temperature, rather than FPS or similar.


    You'd probably get better results renting a walk in freezer for a couple of days.
    Reply to USAFRet
  3. kanewolf said:
    Any lower than ambient cooling is a non-starter in most cases. The loss of cooling to the ambient environment will happen continuously. Unless you were in a vacuum to isolate your cold, you just waste energy, generate a huge amount of condensation, and make a mess.


    You can get a square thermos so I don't see much issue there, and the container is sealed so any condensate would remain within.... And the generated electricity can be re-wired into the PSU...
    Reply to MEMESEY
  4. USAFRet said:
    Quote:
    then it's merely a case of replacing the ice block every now and then


    Every hour or two...


    Constructs like this are good for a one time experiment, to prove a point, or achieve some magical OC number, never to be repeated.
    Momentary bragging rights.

    Expense, condensation, time wasted.

    What, specifically, is the desire for this?
    As a hobby, sure. Go for it.
    To get better 'performance'? No. Unless you measure 'performance' in temperature, rather than FPS or similar.


    You'd probably get better results renting a walk in freezer for a couple of days.


    Well, I don't see cost being much of an issue... If you already have a freezer running, making ice isn't going to cost you too much. And if you have a large enough container, you could logically get away with it...
    Reply to MEMESEY
  5. MEMESEY said:


    Well, I don't see cost being much of an issue... If you already have a freezer running, making ice isn't going to cost you too much. And if you have a large enough container, you could logically get away with it...


    Said by someone that does not really understand how a typical residential freezer works.
    And the 'expense' was in actually building this low performing abomination.

    Mineral oil + ice + peltier + PC does not really equal 'logical'.

    Again...aside from a hobby thing (which is OK as a result in itself)...what number are you looking to achieve with this?
    Reply to USAFRet
  6. USAFRet said:
    MEMESEY said:


    Well, I don't see cost being much of an issue... If you already have a freezer running, making ice isn't going to cost you too much. And if you have a large enough container, you could logically get away with it...


    Said by someone that does not really understand how a typical residential freezer works.
    And the 'expense' was in actually building this low performing abomination.

    Mineral oil + ice + peltier + PC does not really equal 'logical'.

    Again...aside from a hobby thing (which is OK as a result in itself)...what number are you looking to achieve with this?


    Rather than look for numbers, this pc would have no moving parts. I am trying to obtain complete silence, rather than just being quieter. It doesn't have to run at low temperatures, only that complete silence is obtained.
    Reply to MEMESEY
  7. MEMESEY said:

    Rather than look for numbers, this pc would have no moving parts. I am trying to obtain complete silence, rather than just being quieter. It doesn't have to run at low temperatures, only that complete silence is obtained.


    Somehow, you still need to remove the heat from the oil tank. A block of ice strapped to the side won't do it.
    You'll need a pump (noise) to circulate the heat to somewhere else.

    A silent PC is easily done, in a soundproofed cabinet under your desk. A single large, low RPM fan, to remove the heat from that box.
    Reply to USAFRet
  8. USAFRet said:
    MEMESEY said:

    Rather than look for numbers, this pc would have no moving parts. I am trying to obtain complete silence, rather than just being quieter. It doesn't have to run at low temperatures, only that complete silence is obtained.


    Somehow, you still need to remove the heat from the oil tank. A block of ice strapped to the side won't do it.
    You'll need a pump (noise) to circulate the heat to somewhere else.

    A silent PC is easily done, in a soundproofed cabinet under your desk. A single large, low RPM fan, to remove the heat from that box.


    No I mean a peltier device requires a constant source of high heat one one side and a constant low on the other, as energy still transfers. So in theory, if a sizeable portion of the energy is turned into electrical and removed, the ice wont melt as quickly. This would mean a constant removal of heat with no moving parts, especially since even the slowest fan will generate noise.

    The ice could then be replaced once melted, if you could swap out the containers....
    Reply to MEMESEY
  9. Build it.
    Document it.
    Show us the results.
    Reply to USAFRet
  10. USAFRet said:
    Build it.
    Document it.
    Show us the results.


    Slight issue with funding at the moment, so it may take a while. Give me a few months (may be sooner if I can rebuild my pc sooner... I cooked the motherboard, and I'm a bit scared to use anything but the fan again).
    Reply to MEMESEY
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Cooling Alternative Cooling Cases