HELP: Ryzen 7 1700X - Trident G.Skill 3600Mhz Overclocking - Step by Step

System:
CPU: Ryzen 7, 1700X (Stock Speeds - Stable)
MB: Asus Crosshair Hero VI (Newest Bios 1403)
OS: Windows 10 Pro
PSU: Corsair, RM850 *850W 80+ Gold
(Only the 8 pin connected to the CPU, not both the 8pin and 4pin, other threads say this is fine unless doing extreme OC like LN2)

RAM:
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232194
Stock Speed: 2133Mhz - Stable

Skill Level:
I know how to go into the bios and change settings, i know what the buttons on my MB do and know most of the error codes.

Software Tools:
GPU-Z
CPU-Z
MSI Afterburner
Thaiphoon Burner

Question:
I purchased the best RAM and MB in order to be able to OC my RAM. I heard that there should be no issues getting to atleast 3200Mhz on the RAM.

1. How to OC my RAM and CPU (2 X 8G)
- What is the first step to OC'ing my ram?
- I tried a couple presets in the bios, but it wont post.
- Feel free to provide links to guides, but consider me new. Most of these guides lose me when they start talking about changing timings, etc
Reply to Wakeupdog
11 answers Last reply
More about ryzen 1700x trident skill 3600mhz overclocking step step
  1. What worked for me is making sure the bios is fully updated. Then I just enabled XMP and it booted. However, my ram is only 3000mhz. I haven't had any problems since my ryzen build. With that said, 3600mhz would be crazy haha. My goal would be 3400mhz.
    Reply to Superkoopatrooper
  2. Wakeupdog said:
    System:
    CPU: Ryzen 7, 1700X (Stock Speeds - Stable)
    MB: Asus Crosshair Hero VI (Newest Bios 1403)
    OS: Windows 10 Pro
    PSU: Corsair, RM850 *850W 80+ Gold
    (Only the 8 pin connected to the CPU, not both the 8pin and 4pin, other threads say this is fine unless doing extreme OC like LN2)

    RAM:
    G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232194
    Stock Speed: 2133Mhz - Stable

    Skill Level:
    I know how to go into the bios and change settings, i know what the buttons on my MB do and know most of the error codes.

    Software Tools:
    GPU-Z
    CPU-Z
    MSI Afterburner
    Thaiphoon Burner

    Question:
    I purchased the best RAM and MB in order to be able to OC my RAM. I heard that there should be no issues getting to atleast 3200Mhz on the RAM.

    1. How to OC my RAM and CPU (2 X 8G)
    - What is the first step to OC'ing my ram?
    - I tried a couple presets in the bios, but it wont post.
    - Feel free to provide links to guides, but consider me new. Most of these guides lose me when they start talking about changing timings, etc




    Make sure you have version 1403 bios. Then set the AI Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P. Standard. That should run your memory at it's rated speed.

    If it doesn't, come back and we'll try to figure something else out.

    Quick Note: If you didn't set the AOT to DOCP Standard, then it's likely running stock 2133 timings and voltage.....you'll never even get 3000 to boot up with those settings.
    Reply to Vellinious
  3. Quote:


    Make sure you have version 1403 bios. Then set the AI Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P. Standard. That should run your memory at it's rated speed.

    If it doesn't, come back and we'll try to figure something else out.

    Quick Note: If you didn't set the AOT to DOCP Standard, then it's likely running stock 2133 timings and voltage.....you'll never even get 3000 to boot up with those settings.


    Vellinious,
    First, thank you so much for helping me.
    Second, I do indeed have the newest 1403 Bios from the ASUS website, its the first thing I did after my first boot.
    Lastly,
    I have tried the D.O.C.P. Standard preset in the AOT tab in BIOS. (Tried this Last night)
    I didnt post, and I received a C9 error code, this error code is not in the manual.
    I did not make any other changes when attempting this in the bios.
    Reply to Wakeupdog
  4. UPDATE:

    Okay, making some progress here.

    Attempt #1:
    - Changed from default settings to DOCP Standard
    *This change seems to have:
    - Changed my DRAM speed to 3600Mhz
    - Change my CPU clock speed to 3400Mhz
    - Locked my DRAM voltage to: 1.30v
    RESULT: Did not post, Error code "C8", Orange DRAM LED lit on MOBO

    Attempt #2:
    - Safe booted into the BIOS
    - Changed the DRAM speed to 3200Mhz
    RESULT: Posted and launched into Windows (Stable so far)


    Moving Forward:
    What should I do in order to try to boot into 3600Mhz?
    Reply to Wakeupdog
  5. Wakeupdog said:
    UPDATE:

    Okay, making some progress here.

    Attempt #1:
    - Changed from default settings to DOCP Standard
    *This change seems to have:
    - Changed my DRAM speed to 3600Mhz
    - Change my CPU clock speed to 3400Mhz
    - Locked my DRAM voltage to: 1.30v
    RESULT: Did not post, Error code "C8", Orange DRAM LED lit on MOBO

    Attempt #2:
    - Safe booted into the BIOS
    - Changed the DRAM speed to 3200Mhz
    RESULT: Posted and launched into Windows (Stable so far)


    Moving Forward:
    What should I do in order to try to boot into 3600Mhz?



    I would change the voltage on the memory to manual. It should be running 1.35v. Might have to run it a little higher to get the rated speed to run. I wouldn't run over 1.4v for a daily clock, though.

    Also, in the External Digi+ Power Control section, give the VDDSOC Load Line Calibration lvl 2, VDDSOC Current Capability 120%, VDDSOC Phase Control to Extreme. Same thing for the memory settings, and set the memory boot voltage to 1.4 to start. I have mine set to boot at 1.44v.

    For now, leave the SOC voltage on auto. Pay attention to what it runs....it'll show up in HW Info. Should be around 1.1v to 1.2v. The higher the memory clock, the more SOC voltage will be needed to keep it stable. 1.15v should be enough, though, I'd think. Again, let auto run it at first, then you can try to set it manually later, and maybe lower it a tad.

    Here's a couple of screenshots of my bios settings.....they won't be exact for what you're trying to do, but a decent guide. .


    Reply to Vellinious
  6. 1. "I would change the voltage on the memory to manual."
    Right now my DRAM Voltage is locked. I am still in the DOCP Standard Configuration. Is this why?
    Also, i only have the 8Pin connected, not the 8Pin and 4Pin. Is this why my RAM voltage is locked?
    When swapping from DOCP standard back to "Manual" my DRAM voltage still seems to be locked.


    2. It should be running 1.35v. Might have to run it a little higher to get the rated speed to run. I wouldn't run over 1.4v for a daily clock, though.

    I meant to say my DRAM voltage was at 1.35v, not 1.30v - So yes, it has always been running at 1.35v.
    Again, i cannot change my DRAM voltage, because it is locked. I tried for 15 mins to find a way to unlock it.

    3. External Digi+ Power Control section:
    -VDDSOC Load Line Calibration lvl 2: Done
    -VDDSOC Current Capability 120%: Done
    -VDDSOC Phase Control to Extreme: Done
    - Same thing for the memory settings: Done
    - Set the memory boot voltage to 1.4 to start. I have mine set to boot at 1.44v.: This setting is locked as well.

    4. For now, leave the SOC voltage on auto. Pay attention to what it runs....it'll show up in HW Info. Should be around 1.1v to 1.2v.
    Yes is is hovering around there


    Attempt #1:
    After changing the Extreme Digi+ Settings, I tried to boot with 3600MHz. It would not post

    Attempt #2:
    I lowered the DRAM Clock speed to 3466Mhz. It posted and is stable after 5 Cinebench's in a row. Then my PC crashed while gaming, not jsut the game, the whole PC. Error code "8" and DRAM LED blinking.

    Attempt 3:
    I lowered the DRAM Clock Speed even further, down to 3342 (or something like that, it was the next step down in the selection screen)
    Stable so far.

    Moving Forward:
    Why is my voltages locked? Or am I an idiot and not realizing how to change the DRAM Voltage?
    What else can i do to boot into 3600MHz?
    Reply to Wakeupdog
  7. Wakeupdog said:
    1. "I would change the voltage on the memory to manual."
    Right now my DRAM Voltage is locked. I am still in the DOCP Standard Configuration. Is this why?
    Also, i only have the 8Pin connected, not the 8Pin and 4Pin. Is this why my RAM voltage is locked?
    When swapping from DOCP standard back to "Manual" my DRAM voltage still seems to be locked.


    2. It should be running 1.35v. Might have to run it a little higher to get the rated speed to run. I wouldn't run over 1.4v for a daily clock, though.

    I meant to say my DRAM voltage was at 1.35v, not 1.30v - So yes, it has always been running at 1.35v.
    Again, i cannot change my DRAM voltage, because it is locked. I tried for 15 mins to find a way to unlock it.

    3. External Digi+ Power Control section:
    -VDDSOC Load Line Calibration lvl 2: Done
    -VDDSOC Current Capability 120%: Done
    -VDDSOC Phase Control to Extreme: Done
    - Same thing for the memory settings: Done
    - Set the memory boot voltage to 1.4 to start. I have mine set to boot at 1.44v.: This setting is locked as well.

    4. For now, leave the SOC voltage on auto. Pay attention to what it runs....it'll show up in HW Info. Should be around 1.1v to 1.2v.
    Yes is is hovering around there


    Attempt #1:
    After changing the Extreme Digi+ Settings, I tried to boot with 3600MHz. It would not post

    Attempt #2:
    I lowered the DRAM Clock speed to 3466Mhz. It posted and is stable after 5 Cinebench's in a row. Then my PC crashed while gaming, not jsut the game, the whole PC. Error code "8" and DRAM LED blinking.

    Attempt 3:
    I lowered the DRAM Clock Speed even further, down to 3342 (or something like that, it was the next step down in the selection screen)
    Stable so far.

    Moving Forward:
    Why is my voltages locked? Or am I an idiot and not realizing how to change the DRAM Voltage?
    What else can i do to boot into 3600MHz?


    1. Probably, yes. I'm not 100% sure, but that sounds reasonable to assume.

    2. See #1

    attempt 1...may need a little extra voltage there for 3600. The IMC tends to have problems at anything over 3400 without adding extra voltage.

    Attempt 2....Yeah, not stable. Use TechPowerUP Memtest 64 to test your memory for stability. I usually go to at least 300% coverage.

    Sounds like the biggest part of your problem now, is getting a PSU with the 4 pin....I have to think that's the issue with the locked memory voltage. Honestly, I'm surprised it runs at all without it.
    Reply to Vellinious
  8. Ok, ok, ok hold up. I need to start over from my previous post. I was an idiot and didn't realized i needed to actually start typing into the Voltage field to change it. Let's take a step back since I am now able to change the voltage.

    Also, I read up on the whole 8-Pin/4-pin. The 4-Pin is optional and I read that it would only be necessary if you are doing LN Cooling @1.6v+
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3363686/crosshair-hero-power-connectors.html


    1. "I would change the voltage on the memory to manual."
    - I can, indeed, change the DRAM voltage.

    2. It should be running 1.35v. Might have to run it a little higher to get the rated speed to run. I wouldn't run over 1.4v for a daily clock, though.
    I set the DRAM voltage to 1.4000v

    3. External Digi+ Power Control section:
    -VDDSOC Load Line Calibration lvl 2: Done
    -VDDSOC Current Capability 120%: Done
    -VDDSOC Phase Control to Extreme: Done
    - Same thing for the memory settings: Done
    - Set the memory boot voltage to 1.4 to start.: DONE

    4. For now, leave the SOC voltage on auto. Pay attention to what it runs....it'll show up in HW Info. Should be around 1.1v to 1.2v.
    Yes is is hovering around there


    Attempt #1:
    After doing everything you suggested, I tried to boot with 3600MHz. It would not post

    Attempt #1.5:
    I upped the DRAM Voltage to 1.42000v. and the BOOT Voltage to 1.440000v
    Did not post, error C9

    Attempt #2:
    I lowered the DRAM Clock speed to 3466Mhz. It posted and is stable after 5 Cinebench's in a row. Then my PC crashed while gaming, not jsut the game, the whole PC. Error code "8" and DRAM LED blinking.

    Attempt 3:
    I lowered the DRAM Clock Speed even further, down to 3333MHz
    Stable so far.

    Moving Forward:
    What else can i do to boot into 3600MHz?
    Reply to Wakeupdog
  9. Wakeupdog said:
    Ok, ok, ok hold up. I need to start over from my previous post. I was an idiot and didn't realized i needed to actually start typing into the Voltage field to change it. Let's take a step back since I am now able to change the voltage.

    Also, I read up on the whole 8-Pin/4-pin. The 4-Pin is optional and I read that it would only be necessary if you are doing LN Cooling @1.6v+
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3363686/crosshair-hero-power-connectors.html


    1. "I would change the voltage on the memory to manual."
    - I can, indeed, change the DRAM voltage.

    2. It should be running 1.35v. Might have to run it a little higher to get the rated speed to run. I wouldn't run over 1.4v for a daily clock, though.
    I set the DRAM voltage to 1.4000v

    3. External Digi+ Power Control section:
    -VDDSOC Load Line Calibration lvl 2: Done
    -VDDSOC Current Capability 120%: Done
    -VDDSOC Phase Control to Extreme: Done
    - Same thing for the memory settings: Done
    - Set the memory boot voltage to 1.4 to start.: DONE

    4. For now, leave the SOC voltage on auto. Pay attention to what it runs....it'll show up in HW Info. Should be around 1.1v to 1.2v.
    Yes is is hovering around there


    Attempt #1:
    After doing everything you suggested, I tried to boot with 3600MHz. It would not post

    Attempt #1.5:
    I upped the DRAM Voltage to 1.42000v. and the BOOT Voltage to 1.440000v
    Did not post, error C9

    Attempt #2:
    I lowered the DRAM Clock speed to 3466Mhz. It posted and is stable after 5 Cinebench's in a row. Then my PC crashed while gaming, not jsut the game, the whole PC. Error code "8" and DRAM LED blinking.

    Attempt 3:
    I lowered the DRAM Clock Speed even further, down to 3333MHz
    Stable so far.

    Moving Forward:
    What else can i do to boot into 3600MHz?


    You're starting to move past the point where I'm going to be any good to you. Memory really isn't my thing. CPU...GPU, I'm there. Memory? Eh....

    There's some really good overclockers in this thread here, though. I would suggest letting them take it from here.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1628751/official-amd-ryzen-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread
    Reply to Vellinious
  10. Vellinious said:
    Wakeupdog said:
    Ok, ok, ok hold up. I need to start over from my previous post. I was an idiot and didn't realized i needed to actually start typing into the Voltage field to change it. Let's take a step back since I am now able to change the voltage.

    Also, I read up on the whole 8-Pin/4-pin. The 4-Pin is optional and I read that it would only be necessary if you are doing LN Cooling @1.6v+
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3363686/crosshair-hero-power-connectors.html


    1. "I would change the voltage on the memory to manual."
    - I can, indeed, change the DRAM voltage.

    2. It should be running 1.35v. Might have to run it a little higher to get the rated speed to run. I wouldn't run over 1.4v for a daily clock, though.
    I set the DRAM voltage to 1.4000v

    3. External Digi+ Power Control section:
    -VDDSOC Load Line Calibration lvl 2: Done
    -VDDSOC Current Capability 120%: Done
    -VDDSOC Phase Control to Extreme: Done
    - Same thing for the memory settings: Done
    - Set the memory boot voltage to 1.4 to start.: DONE

    4. For now, leave the SOC voltage on auto. Pay attention to what it runs....it'll show up in HW Info. Should be around 1.1v to 1.2v.
    Yes is is hovering around there


    Attempt #1:
    After doing everything you suggested, I tried to boot with 3600MHz. It would not post

    Attempt #1.5:
    I upped the DRAM Voltage to 1.42000v. and the BOOT Voltage to 1.440000v
    Did not post, error C9

    Attempt #2:
    I lowered the DRAM Clock speed to 3466Mhz. It posted and is stable after 5 Cinebench's in a row. Then my PC crashed while gaming, not jsut the game, the whole PC. Error code "8" and DRAM LED blinking.

    Attempt 3:
    I lowered the DRAM Clock Speed even further, down to 3333MHz
    Stable so far.

    Moving Forward:
    What else can i do to boot into 3600MHz?


    You're starting to move past the point where I'm going to be any good to you. Memory really isn't my thing. CPU...GPU, I'm there. Memory? Eh....

    There's some really good overclockers in this thread here, though. I would suggest letting them take it from here.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1628751/official-amd-ryzen-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread


    Thanks so much for your help dude! =)
    Reply to Wakeupdog
  11. Wakeupdog said:
    Vellinious said:
    Wakeupdog said:
    Ok, ok, ok hold up. I need to start over from my previous post. I was an idiot and didn't realized i needed to actually start typing into the Voltage field to change it. Let's take a step back since I am now able to change the voltage.

    Also, I read up on the whole 8-Pin/4-pin. The 4-Pin is optional and I read that it would only be necessary if you are doing LN Cooling @1.6v+
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3363686/crosshair-hero-power-connectors.html


    1. "I would change the voltage on the memory to manual."
    - I can, indeed, change the DRAM voltage.

    2. It should be running 1.35v. Might have to run it a little higher to get the rated speed to run. I wouldn't run over 1.4v for a daily clock, though.
    I set the DRAM voltage to 1.4000v

    3. External Digi+ Power Control section:
    -VDDSOC Load Line Calibration lvl 2: Done
    -VDDSOC Current Capability 120%: Done
    -VDDSOC Phase Control to Extreme: Done
    - Same thing for the memory settings: Done
    - Set the memory boot voltage to 1.4 to start.: DONE

    4. For now, leave the SOC voltage on auto. Pay attention to what it runs....it'll show up in HW Info. Should be around 1.1v to 1.2v.
    Yes is is hovering around there


    Attempt #1:
    After doing everything you suggested, I tried to boot with 3600MHz. It would not post

    Attempt #1.5:
    I upped the DRAM Voltage to 1.42000v. and the BOOT Voltage to 1.440000v
    Did not post, error C9

    Attempt #2:
    I lowered the DRAM Clock speed to 3466Mhz. It posted and is stable after 5 Cinebench's in a row. Then my PC crashed while gaming, not jsut the game, the whole PC. Error code "8" and DRAM LED blinking.

    Attempt 3:
    I lowered the DRAM Clock Speed even further, down to 3333MHz
    Stable so far.

    Moving Forward:
    What else can i do to boot into 3600MHz?


    You're starting to move past the point where I'm going to be any good to you. Memory really isn't my thing. CPU...GPU, I'm there. Memory? Eh....

    There's some really good overclockers in this thread here, though. I would suggest letting them take it from here.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1628751/official-amd-ryzen-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread


    Thanks so much for your help dude! =)


    Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. But the guys over at OCN should be able to take over from here. G'luck!
    Reply to Vellinious
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking RAM Trident CPUs DDR4 Asus G.SKILL