OC 1700 and got worse cinebench

So I'm new to ryzen/amd and oc in general. So I went into my bios and oc to 4.0 or 3.99 and ran cinebench and got a score of 602. When I reverted back to stock I got a score of 1323. Did I do something wrong? My pc:
Ryzen 1700
Asus strix x370-f gaming
16gb Trident gskill rgb 3000 15 acs
Evga sc 1070
Adata premier 480gb ssd
Wd blue 1tb hdd
Evga 650 nex g ps
Windows 10 home 64bit

Not a fresh install of Windows because my ssd was already connected to my old pc which I installed Windows 10 previously.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply to Michael_734
19 answers Last reply
More about 1700 worse cinebench
  1. Who knows what went wrong. Overheating would be the obvious possibility.

You have BSOD just waiting to happen, IMO, without a clean OS install.
    Reply to kanewolf
  2. kanewolf said:
    Who knows what went wrong. Overheating would be the obvious possibility.

You have BSOD just waiting to happen, IMO, without a clean OS install.

Ill try a fresh install when i get my new ssd in as well as my aio cooler. any other reason why my score would drop that much? when i opened ryzen master utility the temperature was around 30 degrees celsius but showed 1.52 ghz
    Reply to Michael_734
  3. I had the same problem once, i reverted back to stock and then did the same overclock. That worked for me.
    Reply to guffyluffybro
  4. 4.0 on the stock cooler is almost a guaranteed overheat. Set it to 3.7 or so and watch it increase.
    Reply to Supahos
  5. Supahos said:
    4.0 on the stock cooler is almost a guaranteed overheat. Set it to 3.7 or so and watch it increase.

That would depend on the voltage.....
    Reply to Vellinious
  6. I've not seen a 1700 that could do 4.0 on low enough voltage to use the stock cooler but he could have a magic one

But if that was the case his score wouldn't have decreased
    Reply to Supahos
  7. Doesn't have to be throttling because of high heat to have a lower score. To get that low, you'd think that was the issue, but.....there could be several things contributing. Like, unstable memory overclock causing a safe mode boot, which will cause performance pitfalls.

He really didn't give enough information to make a solid determination. All I'm saying.
    Reply to Vellinious
  8. If it was the memory or other instability it likely would show up at stock speeds too
    Reply to Supahos
  9. Nobody can do 4ghz on a 1700 with the spire seriously, not stress testing with reasonable temps.
    Reply to madmatt30
  10. madmatt30 said:
    Nobody can do 4ghz on a 1700 with the spire seriously, not stress testing with reasonable temps.

There is silicon out there that can. I know of two running the 1700 at 4.0 @ 1.315v or lower. I have a 1600X that runs 4.0 @ 1.275v. So, yeah....it's completely possible.
    Reply to Vellinious
  11. Supahos said:
    If it was the memory or other instability it likely would show up at stock speeds too

Depends....at stock, did he also overclock the memory? When he overclocked, did he use the DOCP profile to make sure memory timings and voltage were also set to run with the memory at 3000? If he didn't, the base timings and base voltage wouldn't be enough...may boot, but would very likely not be stable.

What I'm saying, is that are WAY too many variables to make any judgements without more information.
    Reply to Vellinious
  12. I'm running 4.1@1.335v so I'm not arguing there's well binned chips out their because I have one.

At 3.8ghz on the spire @ 1.27v it was hitting 88c after 10 minutes of aida64 - that for me is too hot personally.

I'm now at 4ghz sub 70c temps with a fortis 3 malik custom , I had to wait 7 weeks for them to release a bracket (I already owned the cooler)

The spire is good for 3.8 at a push with a 1700, its good for 4ghz with a 1600.

If you have any inclination at all to keep temps within what I consider acceptable limits that is as far as I'd personally go.
    Reply to madmatt30
  13. You may have had a bad mount.....my buddies 1700 running 4.0 @ 1.315 is only hitting 71c during stress testing, and that's just on the stock cooler. I guess that would depend on the stress test you're running too. Heavy load testing with OCCT / IBT / P95 is going to create a lot more heat, than say, Realbench or AIDA64.
    Reply to Vellinious
  14. Vellinious said:
    Doesn't have to be throttling because of high heat to have a lower score. To get that low, you'd think that was the issue, but.....there could be several things contributing. Like, unstable memory overclock causing a safe mode boot, which will cause performance pitfalls.

He really didn't give enough information to make a solid determination. All I'm saying.

changed
    cpu core ratio to 40.00
    cpu core voltage overide 1.37500
    vddsoc voltage override 1.10000
    dram voltage to 1.35
    thats all i changed because i didnt know what i was doing. with that being said can someone provide a step by step on what changes should be made? noob question
    Reply to Michael_734
  15. Michael_734 said:
    Vellinious said:
    Doesn't have to be throttling because of high heat to have a lower score. To get that low, you'd think that was the issue, but.....there could be several things contributing. Like, unstable memory overclock causing a safe mode boot, which will cause performance pitfalls.

changed
    cpu core ratio to 40.00
    dram voltage to 1.35
    thats all i changed because i didnt know what i was doing. with that being said can someone provide a step by step on what changes should be made? noob question

Well, that's a decent start. I'd leave the VDDSOC voltage on auto for now, though.

You'll want to set the AI Overclock Tuner to: DOCP Standard. That sets the memory to run at it's target frequency and automatically set the timings. Then you'll want to go in to External Digi+ Power Control, and experiment with your LLC settings. I'd suggest:

CPU Load Line Calibration: level 3
    CPU Current Capability: 120%
    CPU Power Phase Control: Optimized

VDDSOC LLC: Level 2
    VDDSOC Current Capability: 120%
    VDDSOC Power Phase Control: Optimized

CRAM Current Capability: 120%
    DRAM Boot Voltage: 1.4

That'll get you started. As for the voltages that you'll need to keep your core stable.....that's up to you to find. Every CPU is different. I gave ya some basic starting points.

I will say, with that CPU and the stock cooler, I'd start at 3.8...find a good voltage and start there. Do a stability test, then see how temps are. If temps are decent, go and and try to move up to 3.9. 4.0 is most likely out of reach for a stock cooler. It's definitely not impossible, but....the odds are against you.
    Reply to Vellinious
  16. Vellinious said:
    Michael_734 said:
    Vellinious said:

changed
    cpu core ratio to 40.00
    dram voltage to 1.35

Well, that's a decent start. I'd leave the VDDSOC voltage on auto for now, though.

You'll want to set the AI Overclock Tuner to: DOCP Standard. That sets the memory to run at it's target frequency and automatically set the timings. Then you'll want to go in to External Digi+ Power Control, and experiment with your LLC settings. I'd suggest:

That'll get you started. As for the voltages that you'll need to keep your core stable.....that's up to you to find. Every CPU is different. I gave ya some basic starting points.

I will say, with that CPU and the stock cooler, I'd start at 3.8...find a good voltage and start there. Do a stability test, then see how temps are. If temps are decent, go and and try to move up to 3.9. 4.0 is most likely out of reach for a stock cooler. It's definitely not impossible, but....the odds are against you.

i got the bracket for my aio cooler and its in the comp now. i changed everything that you suggested but i didnt know where cram current capacity and dram boot voltage so i guess you can say i didnt change those. after the changes i ran cinebench and again got a score of 597 cb. what am i missing? on cinebench my ghz says 4.00 but on the ryzen master utility it shows 1.2 ghz i dont understand what im doing wrong...i think i should have stuck with my stock 6700k
    Reply to Michael_734
  17. Michael_734 said:
    Vellinious said:
    Michael_734 said:
    Vellinious said:

changed
    cpu core ratio to 40.00
    dram voltage to 1.35

i got the bracket for my aio cooler and its in the comp now. i changed everything that you suggested but i didnt know where cram current capacity and dram boot voltage so i guess you can say i didnt change those. after the changes i ran cinebench and again got a score of 597 cb. what am i missing? on cinebench my ghz says 4.00 but on the ryzen master utility it shows 1.2 ghz i dont understand what im doing wrong...i think i should have stuck with my stock 6700k

Make sure you're running the latest version of the bios and try again. I'd start with 3.8 or 3.9....find the voltages needed for those, and then move to 4.0. It can be difficult to get tuned in.

Sounds like your system may be suffering from the bug that many were experiencing....where as soon as they changed the multiplier in the bios, the CPU would automatically revert to 1.2.... IIRC, updating to the latest bios versions has helped most of the people experiencing this issue.

If updating your bios doesn't work, I'd suggest going to this forum, and see if anybody can tell you what they did to solve the issue.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624139/official-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x-1700-owners-club-4ghz-club
    Reply to Vellinious
  18. Vellinious said:
    Michael_734 said:
    Vellinious said:
    Michael_734 said:
    Vellinious said:

changed
    cpu core ratio to 40.00
    dram voltage to 1.35

Make sure you're running the latest version of the bios and try again. I'd start with 3.8 or 3.9....find the voltages needed for those, and then move to 4.0. It can be difficult to get tuned in.

Sounds like your system may be suffering from the bug that many were experiencing....where as soon as they changed the multiplier in the bios, the CPU would automatically revert to 1.2.... IIRC, updating to the latest bios versions has helped most of the people experiencing this issue.

If updating your bios doesn't work, I'd suggest going to this forum, and see if anybody can tell you what they did to solve the issue.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624139/official-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x-1700-owners-club-4ghz-club

When I went to start a new post or reply to a current one on overclock.net, it stated I have "Insufficient Permissions" Permission denied! You are not authorized to post in this forum.

Could this be a bad chip, motherboard, or ram? Also when I am using Ryzen Master Utility it did OC to 3.9ghz @ 1.35v and ram at 2400mhz but I have to open that utility every time I want to have that extra performance I guess you can say. I cant be the only one that ran into this issue, am I?
    Reply to Michael_734
  19. Michael_734 said:
    Vellinious said:
    Michael_734 said:
    Vellinious said:
    Michael_734 said:
    Vellinious said:

changed
    cpu core ratio to 40.00
    dram voltage to 1.35

When I went to start a new post or reply to a current one on overclock.net, it stated I have "Insufficient Permissions" Permission denied! You are not authorized to post in this forum.

Could this be a bad chip, motherboard, or ram? Also when I am using Ryzen Master Utility it did OC to 3.9ghz @ 1.35v and ram at 2400mhz but I have to open that utility every time I want to have that extra performance I guess you can say. I cant be the only one that ran into this issue, am I?

It's a known issue.....there are people in that thread I linked experiencing the same issue. They should be able to help you out.
    Reply to Vellinious
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking