Solved

i5 4690: Looking for alternative to MSI Z97 Gaming 3

Apparently my MSI Z97 Gaming 3 has died on me a couple of days ago (see: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3477282/msi-gaming-z97-usb-ports-lan-port-working.html). I can get a refund, so I'm looking for a new motherboard. I'm quite done with MSI, second board in 2 years that's dying on me.

My problem though: The shops where I live (Germany) have nearly run out of 1150-boards that are out-of-the-box compatible with my Intel i5 4690K, if I understood the BIOS-Update-problem correctly - at least in my price range.
I can choose between the following:

The last one should be BIOS-compatible with my i5 4690K, right? It's the most expensive, though. I just want to make sure if I can buy any of the other boards or if all of them won't work with my CPU. I'm not into OC (bought the wrong CPU for that in the first place, I know), I just need a board that supports the K-CPU.

My PC-Setup:
Reply to AbydosBane
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 4690 alternative msi z97 gaming
  1. Best answer
    get whatever Z87/97 is priced best by a brand you trust; the "Gaming/Fata1ity/ROG" names do nothing for you anyway...and all the boards using similar chipsets perform within 1% of each other...
    Reply to mdd1963
  2. mdd1963 said:
    get whatever Z87/97 is priced best by a brand you trust; the "Gaming/Fata1ity/ROG" names do nothing for you anyway...and all the boards using similar chipsets perform within 1% of each other...

You mean from the boards mentioned above the ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 would support my i5 4690K right out of the box without me needing to upgrade the BIOS?

EDIT: I decided to go with the ASROCK Z87 Extreme4. I was prepared to flash the BIOS to 2.70 or the new 3.40, yet I didn't need to as the board was upgraded and came with 2.70 right out of the box.
    Reply to AbydosBane
  3. Awesome, good luck~!
    Reply to mdd1963
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Motherboards Gaming MSI-Microstar CPUs Intel i5