Solved

Will my PC build work? Please Help

I already have a

Processor- i5 3470 @3.2 ghz ( turbo boost upto 3.6ghz )
GPU- GTX 1060 6gb gaming x by msi
Motherboard- pegatron ipmsb-h61
RAM- ddr3 4x1 gb ram @1333 mhz ( my motherboard only supports 4x2 gb ddr3 1333mhz ram)
Power supply - Antec VP450P 450W Power Supply
Case - corsair carbide spec alpha .

Can you Tell me that will this pc build work ( is it compatible) and even if it would , is there anything that should upgrade in this build? remember that my budget is around 100 dollars now...
Tell me if I forgot to mention any other component which is important to tell to you guys to know about Computer builds .
Ah , one more thing , i saw benchmarks and also linustechtips reviews and I saw that there is not much difference in ddr3 and ddr4 ram.

PLS HELP
Reply to D Choudhary
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build work
  1. well you can only upgrade the Ram one more 4GB stick becouse if you want to change the CPU you have to change the board and RAM too and that would coast more then 100$
    But if it was my build and it was possible i would like to get the better motherboard also
    Reply to nitinvaid20
  2. nitinvaid20 said:
    well you can only upgrade the Ram one more 4GB stick becouse if you want to change the CPU you have to change the board and RAM too and that would coast more then 100$
    But if it was my build and it was possible i would like to get the better motherboard also


    ok .... and can you tell that is this build even compatible ?? like the power supply work with the gpu and cpu and if other stuff is compatible with each other and etc. etc.
    Reply to D Choudhary
  3. It'll work. Only thing missing is storage. But, you'll run into issues with only 4Gb of ram, it's going to be slower than an old, blind, arthritic, 3-legged dog. Especially during anything cpu intensive. Windows itself uses @1.5Gb+, more if using things like Cortana etc. Used ddr3 is very cheap online, I picked up 16Gb 1866MHz for $20.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  4. Karadjgne said:
    It'll work. Only thing missing is storage. But, you'll run into issues with only 4Gb of ram, it's going to be slower than an old, blind, arthritic, 3-legged dog. Especially during anything cpu intensive. Windows itself uses @1.5Gb+, more if using things like Cortana etc. Used ddr3 is very cheap online, I picked up 16Gb 1866MHz for $20.


    His board only supports 2x4GB
    Reply to nitinvaid20
  5. D Choudhary said:
    nitinvaid20 said:
    well you can only upgrade the Ram one more 4GB stick becouse if you want to change the CPU you have to change the board and RAM too and that would coast more then 100$
    But if it was my build and it was possible i would like to get the better motherboard also


    ok .... and can you tell that is this build even compatible ?? like the power supply work with the gpu and cpu and if other stuff is compatible with each other and etc. etc.


    Yes it will work you have better GPU you cant play games becouse of the Limited RAM
    Reply to nitinvaid20
  6. Karadjgne said:
    It'll work. Only thing missing is storage. But, you'll run into issues with only 4Gb of ram, it's going to be slower than an old, blind, arthritic, 3-legged dog. Especially during anything cpu intensive. Windows itself uses @1.5Gb+, more if using things like Cortana etc. Used ddr3 is very cheap online, I picked up 16Gb 1866MHz for $20.


    bro , thanks for your help , really appreciate it but my board only supports 4x2 gb ram like nitinvaid20 told you
    Reply to D Choudhary
  7. nitinvaid20 said:
    D Choudhary said:
    nitinvaid20 said:
    well you can only upgrade the Ram one more 4GB stick becouse if you want to change the CPU you have to change the board and RAM too and that would coast more then 100$
    But if it was my build and it was possible i would like to get the better motherboard also


    ok .... and can you tell that is this build even compatible ?? like the power supply work with the gpu and cpu and if other stuff is compatible with each other and etc. etc.


    Yes it will work you have better GPU you cant play games becouse of the Limited RAM


    ok man , so for now , i should just buy new ram and make this setup run somehow? thanks bro . And btw , will my gpu work with this motherboard and powersupply?
    Reply to D Choudhary
  8. You missed the point. I said 'I' picked up 16Gb for $20, that's how cheap used ddr3 is. You only need 8Gb, so with your $100 budget, that'll allow you to get at least a new 1Tb hdd, since your build has no storage, and also get a matching set of 2x 4Gb sticks of ram, since mixing your old and something else has no guarantee of actually working. Your cpu supports 1600, so that would be a slight upgrade from the 1333 you have now. Grand total shouldn't exceed $70 or so
    Reply to Karadjgne
  9. Karadjgne said:
    You missed the point. I said 'I' picked up 16Gb for $20, that's how cheap used ddr3 is. You only need 8Gb, so with your $100 budget, that'll allow you to get at least a new 1Tb hdd, since your build has no storage, and also get a matching set of 2x 4Gb sticks of ram, since mixing your old and something else has no guarantee of actually working. Your cpu supports 1600, so that would be a slight upgrade from the 1333 you have now. Grand total shouldn't exceed $70 or so


    ok bro ... really appreciate your help !!
    Reply to D Choudhary
  10. It's honestly not worth spending out on brand new ddr3, there's tons of still good used stuff out there since ddr4 has become the standard now, and ppl are selling off their older rigs. About the only things worth being new are the storage, gpu and psu as those generally see a much shorter lifespan, especially in gaming or overclocked pc's, possibly subject to long levels of high heat usage.

    Ebay or similar sites will be your best friend here, the entire i7-3770K build I have was built almost totally from eBay parts, total cost less than $600, and that was over 3 years ago.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  11. Karadjgne said:
    It's honestly not worth spending out on brand new ddr3, there's tons of still good used stuff out there since ddr4 has become the standard now, and ppl are selling off their older rigs. About the only things worth being new are the storage, gpu and psu as those generally see a much shorter lifespan, especially in gaming or overclocked pc's, possibly subject to long levels of high heat usage.

    Ebay or similar sites will be your best friend here, the entire i7-3770K build I have was built almost totally from eBay parts, total cost less than $600, and that was over 3 years ago.

    i really do understand your point , but i live in India and buying second hand motherboard and ram considering the place is not really a choice for me . For now , i have a good gpu , psu and storage so i will just buy 4x2 hyperx ddr3 ram for 80$ here in my country and somehow make my setup atleast run as my 1060 6gb is just sitting here bored ...
    Reply to D Choudhary
  12. Yeah, this is all I could find that's worth anything.
    https://m.ebay.in/itm/Desktop-RAM-ADATA-DDR3-Low-Voltage-RAM-8GB-2-4GB-DDR3L-1600Mhz-PC3L-12800-/142436360027?hash=NTE=

    Your cpu supports 1600, and you'd need to be getting a mobo with an upgraded bios, since the i5-3x series are Ivy-Bridge, 3rd Gen Intel, the H61 was introduced with the 2nd Gen Sandy-Bridge, both lga1155, but being a later gen, the original bios didn't include 3rd gen chips. As is, the 1600 or higher might work at rated speeds, dunno for sure, depends on what the upgraded bios reveals. Original support was just 1066-1333, but later revisions might have changed that. Either way, the higher ram will still work as it includes speeds and timings from the jadec tables, so will adjust down to the top supported speeds. Might open up some more options as 1333 didn't stay popular for long when 1600 arrived.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  13. Karadjgne said:
    Yeah, this is all I could find that's worth anything.
    https://m.ebay.in/itm/Desktop-RAM-ADATA-DDR3-Low-Voltage-RAM-8GB-2-4GB-DDR3L-1600Mhz-PC3L-12800-/142436360027?hash=NTE=

    Your cpu supports 1600, and you'd need to be getting a mobo with an upgraded bios, since the i5-3x series are Ivy-Bridge, 3rd Gen Intel, the H61 was introduced with the 2nd Gen Sandy-Bridge, both lga1155, but being a later gen, the original bios didn't include 3rd gen chips. As is, the 1600 or higher might work at rated speeds, dunno for sure, depends on what the upgraded bios reveals. Original support was just 1066-1333, but later revisions might have changed that. Either way, the higher ram will still work as it includes speeds and timings from the jadec tables, so will adjust down to the top supported speeds. Might open up some more options as 1333 didn't stay popular for long when 1600 arrived.

    Ok but wont this ram be better for me ?
    http://www.amazon.in/Kingston-HyperX-1600MHz-Memory-Module/dp/B008XQGGQU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1QFJV05H9TXZX
    It will cost me just a tiny bit less than the ram you suggested me and my ram is good looking red coloured while yours is normal with no covering .....
    Reply to D Choudhary
  14. If your original 4Gb stick is hyperX then yes, there's a good chance it's better, but the color is immaterial, as is the heatsink. HyperX works a little bit differently than most other ram, so mixing that with other brands can lead to issues. Honestly it's never a good idea to mix ram at all. You can have identical brand, model, speed, timing etc and still not have the ram actually work. It's all based on the silicon batch. Every batch has different levels and types of impurities, so even identical sticks can be totally off. One might have a little copper, the other excessive carbon, and the 2 are just incompatible. This is why it's always recommended that you buy what you want in a full kit, so the full 2x4Gb. Ram in a kit has sequential batch numbers, so not only does it come from the same batch of silicon, but it also comes from the same area of the sheet, maximizing it's compatability. Then it's factory tested, guaranteed to work with each other. Having 2x individual sticks, there's no guarantee and no way to know until you've opened the package, installed the ram and tried to boot. Even then, it might be slower than it's supposed to be, requiring a small bump in dram voltage, relaxing timings etc. Most only take notice of the Primary timings, the 9-9-9-27 1T etc, not realizing that there's well over thirty other timings in the secondary and tertiary tiers and all those have to be compatible too. All it takes is for one of those to be way different, and you've got a headache to solve or return the ram and hope the next one works as it should.
    So that said, it's still risky to buy 2x individual sticks vrs a factory tested kit. If you could find the hyperX in an 8Gb (2x4Gb) kit, for roughly the same price of 2x individual sticks that'd be great,but I'd not just add the single stick to what's there already.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  15. Karadjgne said:
    If your original 4Gb stick is hyperX then yes, there's a good chance it's better, but the color is immaterial, as is the heatsink. HyperX works a little bit differently than most other ram, so mixing that with other brands can lead to issues. Honestly it's never a good idea to mix ram at all. You can have identical brand, model, speed, timing etc and still not have the ram actually work. It's all based on the silicon batch. Every batch has different levels and types of impurities, so even identical sticks can be totally off. One might have a little copper, the other excessive carbon, and the 2 are just incompatible. This is why it's always recommended that you buy what you want in a full kit, so the full 2x4Gb. Ram in a kit has sequential batch numbers, so not only does it come from the same batch of silicon, but it also comes from the same area of the sheet, maximizing it's compatability. Then it's factory tested, guaranteed to work with each other. Having 2x individual sticks, there's no guarantee and no way to know until you've opened the package, installed the ram and tried to boot. Even then, it might be slower than it's supposed to be, requiring a small bump in dram voltage, relaxing timings etc. Most only take notice of the Primary timings, the 9-9-9-27 1T etc, not realizing that there's well over thirty other timings in the secondary and tertiary tiers and all those have to be compatible too. All it takes is for one of those to be way different, and you've got a headache to solve or return the ram and hope the next one works as it should.
    So that said, it's still risky to buy 2x individual sticks vrs a factory tested kit. If you could find the hyperX in an 8Gb (2x4Gb) kit, for roughly the same price of 2x individual sticks that'd be great,but I'd not just add the single stick to what's there already.


    what do you actually mean by the colour is immaterial , as is the heatsink? sorry i did not understood . And btw , i m thinking of this ram now , its cheaper .https://www.newegg.com/global/in/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314&ignorebbr=1

    If you wanted to say about color combination then my graphics card is red , my case is red , my mouse is red , my keyboard is razer chroma ornata and i have set its colour to red so it would match my setup . Also this new ram i found is red.
    Reply to D Choudhary
  16. Best answer
    Oh, that's good ram, always been a fan of G-skill.
    What I meant was that for almost all pc based ram, the heatsink is next to useless. Case temps, even in India during the summer) very rarely get over 50°C, and with most ram positioned near the cpu cooler, enjoy a breeze, effectively cooling the ram. The ram itself very rarely ever actually works very hard, or is pushed to its limits, the possibile bandwidth being larger than what a cpu can handle, so most of the time it's barely even getting warm. So most times, the heatsink is there for only 1 actual reason, looks. The G-skill NT with no heatsink works just the same as the RipJaws with a massive heatsink, it's all about the looks. If your pc is a plain side, full coverage type cover where you can't see in a window, color of the ram heatsink isn't going to change performance.

    As it happens, you have a red theme going and found good, red ram that fits your budget, which is great.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  17. Karadjgne said:
    Oh, that's good ram, always been a fan of G-skill.
    What I meant was that for almost all pc based ram, the heatsink is next to useless. Case temps, even in India during the summer) very rarely get over 50°C, and with most ram positioned near the cpu cooler, enjoy a breeze, effectively cooling the ram. The ram itself very rarely ever actually works very hard, or is pushed to its limits, the possibile bandwidth being larger than what a cpu can handle, so most of the time it's barely even getting warm. So most times, the heatsink is there for only 1 actual reason, looks. The G-skill NT with no heatsink works just the same as the RipJaws with a massive heatsink, it's all about the looks. If your pc is a plain side, full coverage type cover where you can't see in a window, color of the ram heatsink isn't going to change performance.

    As it happens, you have a red theme going and found good, red ram that fits your budget, which is great.


    yeah man , it seems like i finally cracked down my pc build and btw my case is whole glass from 1 side so i DO need looks but my graphics card already has gr8 looks and heatsink ( gtx 1060 6gb msi ) and this ram also looks good and is cheap . selecting your answer as the solution bro... thanks once again ( and thanks to you too nitinvaid )
    Reply to D Choudhary
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Intel i5 Turbo Boost Build Motherboards Gtx PC Builds Homebuilt