Solved

Ryzen RAM+Mobo for overclocking build advice (Ryzen nightmare, is Intel more worth it?)

Hi everyone,

I want best PC gaming build for around 900 pounds or 1200 euros and want to overclock (because I realized it is worth it) !!

Help me choose please, I wanted Ryzen but it has so many problems with RAM support and motherboards quality.

I want decent motherboard which will support Ryzen 5 1600 now and in next couple of years Ryzen 7 or next gen Ryzen 8-core. I want good overclock, VRM quality and 3200 RAM speed.

I read following:
Any B350 board is bad for overclocking except MSI B350 GAMING PRO CARBON (only that board has decent VRM). Many posts advised I need X370 board if I want decent overclock.

I chose Asus Prime x370 because of good VRM and oveclock capability, good price but it has so many problems with RAM compatibility, it can't ran 2x16GB RAM at 3200 MHz if it is not tooooooo expensive Samsung B-die RAM.

Taichi and CH6 are too expensive, it doesnt't make sense to pay 200-250 pounds for mobo and another 200 pounds for Flare X too expensive RAM (in that case Intel is cheaper gaming system)

Is there any good, not too expensive motherboard which will support 8-core CPU overclocking in future, 3200 RAM speed without too expensive RAM?? Are there any Asus Prime x370 Pro alternatives? Maybe ASRock x370 killer sli/ac or Asus ROG STRIX X370-F GAMING?

All I want not toooooo expensive AM4 board with decent 8-core CPU overclock and 3200 MHz not toooo expensive RAM. I don't need RGB, any special colors, good looks, good estetics, I don't care!!

Thanks!!
Reply to ivekoo
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ryzen ram mobo overclocking build advice ryzen nightmare intel worth
  1. To be fair. You need to balance budget vs performance.

    Ryzen has fixed many of its issues since release with updates. You shouldn't run into many problems with a compatible build.

    However. you stated you wanted to overclock but also a budget. This sort of contradicts what you can do. Ryzen is great for people on a budget, best price vs performance you are going to get. However, Ryzen is not the best for overclocking. They OC returns are minimal and a lot of users report not being able to overclock much at all.

    Intel is good as well but their price vs performance costs is not great... However, seems that overclock better.

    If this is strictly a gaming rig with $1400 you can get a fairly decent Intel setup.

    Something along the lines of a i7 7700k with an MSI GTX 1070, MSI M7 Gaming board and at least 3000mhz memory etc..
    Reply to androbourne
  2. That was the answer I was afraid of. What attracted me to the Ryzen build is insane value of R5 1600 which I can overclock to at least 3.8 GHz and AM4 motherboard support for 4 years.

    Now I need only balanced, not too expensive combination for overclocking R5 1600 to 3.8 GHz.

    If I choose i7 7700k, what is upgrade plan in future? Intel will probably change socket soon.

    androbourne said:
    To be fair. You need to balance budget vs performance.

    Ryzen has fixed many of its issues since release with updates. You shouldn't run into many problems with a compatible build.

    However. you stated you wanted to overclock but also a budget. This sort of contradicts what you can do. Ryzen is great for people on a budget, best price vs performance you are going to get. However, Ryzen is not the best for overclocking. They OC returns are minimal and a lot of users report not being able to overclock much at all.

    Intel is good as well but their price vs performance costs is not great... However, seems that overclock better.

    If this is strictly a gaming rig with $1400 you can get a fairly decent Intel setup.

    Something along the lines of a i7 7700k with an MSI GTX 1070, MSI M7 Gaming board and at least 3000mhz memory etc..
    Reply to ivekoo
  3. Trust me I know. I moved from my old AMD rig to Intel last year just because I didn't want to wait for Ryzen. However, now I want to make a secondary Ryzen build lol.

    As for Intel with newer CPUs coming out like Coffelake, it may change sockets. However, Intel is pretty good at coming out with multiple versions of their CPUs for popular platforms. So they may continue to support the x99 and z270 chipsets for awhile. And z270 is fairly new so I really doubt its going away anytime soon.

    Honestly. If you went with a i7 7700k, you really wont have to think about upgrading for another couple of years. It shows Intels next gen CPUs go up about 5-15% in performance with each release of new infrastructure. This really isn't much. On the i7 7700k you would be able to last a few years until there is a real CPU worth making another jump too, and by then it would be on a newer platform\chipset anyways.

    Unless of course intel comes out with some new crazy tech no one expected. But I doubt it considering their track record.
    Reply to androbourne
  4. I think I will go with Ryzen. Do you know any good mid-range Ryzne mobo+RAM 3200 MHz combo?

    androbourne said:
    Trust me I know. I moved from my old AMD rig to Intel last year just because I didn't want to wait for Ryzen. However, now I want to make a secondary Ryzen build lol.

    As for Intel with newer CPUs coming out like Coffelake, it may change sockets. However, Intel is pretty good at coming out with multiple versions of their CPUs for popular platforms. So they may continue to support the x99 and z270 chipsets for awhile. And z270 is fairly new so I really doubt its going away anytime soon.

    Honestly. If you went with a i7 7700k, you really wont have to think about upgrading for another couple of years. It shows Intels next gen CPUs go up about 5-15% in performance with each release of new infrastructure. This really isn't much. On the i7 7700k you would be able to last a few years until there is a real CPU worth making another jump too, and by then it would be on a newer platform\chipset anyways.

    Unless of course intel comes out with some new crazy tech no one expected. But I doubt it considering their track record.
    Reply to ivekoo
  5. Best answer
    This looks pretty good.

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3517618

    Am4 is a pretty good board too.
    Reply to androbourne
  6. Thank you!

    androbourne said:
    This looks pretty good.

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3517618

    Am4 is a pretty good board too.
    Reply to ivekoo
  7. My pleasure!
    Reply to androbourne
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking RAM Build