Solved

960 EVO M.2 only works PCI-E Gen2 x2

Hi!

Today I bought a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD (it has 3200MB/s read and 1500MB/s write speed). I put into my motherboard, whitch is a Gigabyte GA-Z97x Gaming 3. (my CPU is i7 4790k) It works, but there is a problem.

It only works in PCI-e Gen2 x2 mode, and it has 820MB/s read and 750MB/s write speed. The M.2 slot is in PCI mode, and there is just a MSi 970 in the PCI_E1. I also installed all drivers. (the samsung magician program too)

On the offical site there is: "Turbo M.2: delivering next generation M.2 Gen3 x4 performance with transfer speeds up to 32 Gb/s"

What can I do now? What is the problem?
Reply to Hansen3993
1 answer Last reply Best Answer
More about 960 evo works pci gen2
  1. Best answer
    Can you confirm if this is the same official site of your motherboard you have mentioned: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-Gaming-3-rev-10#ov

It states that the M.2 socket of the Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 are:

"M.2 for SSDs drives with up to 10 Gb/s data transfer"

and

"GIGABYTE G1™ Gaming motherboards come equipped with an onboard M.2 slot, providing users PCI-Express connectivity for SSD devices. Delivering up to 10 Gb/s data transfer speeds, M.2 offers users considerably faster storage performance than current mSATA and even SATA Revision 3 (6Gb/s) storage devices."

Based on the specs, your motherboard doesn't seem to provide PCIe3.0 x4 speeds on its M.2 socket, only 10 Gb/s (equal to 1.25GB/s), which is roughly PCIe2.0 x2 speeds.
    Reply to raisonjohn
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Samsung SSD PCI Express Evo