Solved

Ryzen 5 1600 Temp problems with 212 EVO - What is going on

These are my temps right now and these are literally the only windows I have open.

I just installed my 212 evo from my stock heatsink I had on for about 15 hours, I installed it the first time and had to reinstall because temps were still really high.

I tried again and it was because (I thought) the bracket was only tightened on one side, but my temps are still this high, what's going on?
Reply to Cavasi
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ryzen 1600 temp problems 212 evo
  1. Did you use thermal paste? I cant load the temps. So I don't know how high they are.
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  2. feelinfroggy777 said:
    Did you use thermal paste? I cant load the temps. So I don't know how high they are.



    Here are my temps after playing overwatch for a few minutes I had to alt f4 because it hit 98C

    And yes I used a pea sized in the middle of TP Artic Silver 5 High Density Polysynthetic Silver

    I am overclocked to 1.3 V at 3.8GHz but even if I go back to default settings it doesn't change the temps much :/.

    This thread says it takes 200 hours for my paste to break in, would this be the reason?
    Reply to Cavasi
  3. Does the Ryzen Master utility report the same temp? https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master
    Reply to LilDog1291
  4. Your temps way to high, I would not game anymore until you fix the issue or you can permanently damage the CPU.

    I have never waited 200 hours for the paste to break in, and I have never had temps that high.

    The Evo fans are plugged in and spinning? The plate on the heat sink is pressed against the IHS with the paste in between both?

    What are the other PC components?
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  5. Check if your CPU Cooler is working as intented
    Reply to Dikyashi
  6. Remove the overclock, and redo the thermal paste with something that is not arctic silver 5 (it's outdated). Then run Aida64 and get a baseline for temps before you overclock again.
    Reply to daswilhelm
  7. daswilhelm said:
    Remove the overclock, and redo the thermal paste with something that is not arctic silver 5 (it's outdated). Then run Aida64 and get a baseline for temps before you overclock again.


    Arctic Silver 5 isnt "outdated". There may be better pastes but that doesn't mean that this one won't work as well as it always did/does. As long as the thermal paste isn't expired then I doubt that's the problem.
    Reply to LilDog1291
  8. LilDog1291 said:
    daswilhelm said:
    Remove the overclock, and redo the thermal paste with something that is not arctic silver 5 (it's outdated). Then run Aida64 and get a baseline for temps before you overclock again.


    Arctic Silver 5 isnt "outdated". There may be better pastes but that doesn't mean that this one won't work as well as it always did/does. As long as the thermal paste isn't expired then I doubt that's the problem.


    Well, I had an idea.

    When I took my cooler off, I noticed that the thermal paste was probably not covering about 20% of the heatspreader, which is quite odd. So, I went for the classic Line method but I also spread it around evenly with a nice lil credit card and now we're sitting at 37*C Idle.

    I think i fixed it!
    Reply to Cavasi
  9. Check your temps in the BIOS at idle. They should be 10-15 degrees C above ambient room temps. In the past, some temp monitoring software would give false readings with AMD cpus. I don't know if that continues to be the case with Ryzen, but for my FX 6300, I use AMD Overdrive, which gives Thermal Margin (the number of degrees the temp is away from max safe for the CPU), so a larger thermal margin number is better
    Reply to mjslakeridge
  10. Cavasi said:
    LilDog1291 said:
    daswilhelm said:
    Remove the overclock, and redo the thermal paste with something that is not arctic silver 5 (it's outdated). Then run Aida64 and get a baseline for temps before you overclock again.


    Arctic Silver 5 isnt "outdated". There may be better pastes but that doesn't mean that this one won't work as well as it always did/does. As long as the thermal paste isn't expired then I doubt that's the problem.


    Well, I had an idea.

    When I took my cooler off, I noticed that the thermal paste was probably not covering about 20% of the heatspreader, which is quite odd. So, I went for the classic Line method but I also spread it around evenly with a nice lil credit card and now we're sitting at 37*C Idle.

    I think i fixed it!


    Way to go!
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  11. LilDog1291 said:
    daswilhelm said:
    Remove the overclock, and redo the thermal paste with something that is not arctic silver 5 (it's outdated). Then run Aida64 and get a baseline for temps before you overclock again.


    Arctic Silver 5 isnt "outdated". There may be better pastes but that doesn't mean that this one won't work as well as it always did/does. As long as the thermal paste isn't expired then I doubt that's the problem.


    It will work, but it needs to be reapplied, and almost any newer paste will outperform it.
    Reply to daswilhelm
  12. Best answer
    Well, I had an idea.

    When I took my cooler off, I noticed that the thermal paste was probably not covering about 20% of the heatspreader, which is quite odd. So, I went for the classic Line method but I also spread it around evenly with a nice lil credit card and now we're sitting at 37*C Idle.

    I think i fixed it!
    Reply to Cavasi
  13. Cavasi said:
    Well, I had an idea.

    When I took my cooler off, I noticed that the thermal paste was probably not covering about 20% of the heatspreader, which is quite odd. So, I went for the classic Line method but I also spread it around evenly with a nice lil credit card and now we're sitting at 37*C Idle.

    I think i fixed it!


    Good job!
    Reply to daswilhelm
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Windows Evo Heatsinks CPUs ryzen