Solved

Best GPU pair for AMD FX8320 OC@4.1GHz?

I have a decent 8320 overclocked at 4.1, but my ole 7950 isn't holding up very well to new titles on high settings. I need a GPU that can handle new/demanding games at high settings 1080p, 60fps, but I don't want it bottlenecking my CPU. I hear the GTX1060 is a good match. Is there a better option?
Reply to pmcg521
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gpu pair amd fx8320 1ghz
  1. your cpu might be decent but it does not support pci e 3 so you wont unlock any full potential
    Reply to jimmyEatWord
  2. 1060 is a good match, but the price is still too expensive bcz of the mining craze
    better get a 1050ti, downgrade, but at least u're not overpaying a GPU

    info: PCIe is backward compatible, meaning it will work, don't worry

    edit: 1050ti can run games at a mix of high-med settings @1080p smoothly, if u want all high and u can wait for a while, wait till GTX 1060 / RX 580 prices goes down
    Reply to constantine_99
  3. it will work but you don't get the crazy fps 's you'd get on an pci e 3
    Reply to jimmyEatWord
  4. jimmyEatWord said:
    it will work but you don't get the crazy fps 's you'd get on an pci e 3


    better than getting an old gen
    at least later on he doesn't have to change GPU again when he upgrade to a new mobo+CPU
    Reply to constantine_99
  5. constantine_99 said:
    1060 is a good match, but the price is still too expensive bcz of the mining craze
    better get a 1050ti, downgrade, but at least u're not overpaying a GPU

    info: PCIe is backward compatible, meaning it will work, don't worry


    Ah, thought so. Thanks. If I were to consider the 1050ti, should I look at similar cards like the GTX 770 and 960?

    jimmyEatWord said:
    it will work but you don't get the crazy fps 's you'd get on an pci e 3

    I had thought that the difference is ~2FPS between the PCI implementations
    Reply to pmcg521
  6. pmcg521 said:
    constantine_99 said:
    1060 is a good match, but the price is still too expensive bcz of the mining craze
    better get a 1050ti, downgrade, but at least u're not overpaying a GPU

    info: PCIe is backward compatible, meaning it will work, don't worry


    Ah, thought so. Thanks. If I were to consider the 1050ti, should I look at similar cards like the GTX 770 and 960?

    jimmyEatWord said:
    it will work but you don't get the crazy fps 's you'd get on an pci e 3

    I had thought that the difference is ~2FPS between the PCI implementations


    no , the only difference is in the crazy fps's you would get withe a gen 3 , that's for the new monitors at 144 hz 244 what not gsync freesync etc. what they call on the web an "fps " hack
    Reply to jimmyEatWord
  7. pmcg521 said:
    constantine_99 said:
    1060 is a good match, but the price is still too expensive bcz of the mining craze
    better get a 1050ti, downgrade, but at least u're not overpaying a GPU

    info: PCIe is backward compatible, meaning it will work, don't worry


    Ah, thought so. Thanks. If I were to consider the 1050ti, should I look at similar cards like the GTX 770 and 960?

    jimmyEatWord said:
    it will work but you don't get the crazy fps 's you'd get on an pci e 3

    I had thought that the difference is ~2FPS between the PCI implementations


    i had a PCIe 2 mobo paired with 1050ti
    the performance jump was amazing (was using GT 630, so it's expected) even though my Pentium bottleneck it so hard (my GPU usage never reaches 60%)
    i play GTA at 768p very high - normal settings and get 40-50 fps (bottlenecked, GPU usage was bout 20-40% went up and down depending on the area)
    played skyrim with bout 100+ mod with all texture at highest (HD 2k, CBBE 4k, etc) and get like 30-60 fps (again, bottlenecked, GPU usage reach 47% at max if i recall correctly)

    the GTX 1050ti is winning again 960 in some cases
    and getting an older gen GPU is not worth i think (the driver supports, used stuff, warranty, etc)
    Reply to constantine_99
  8. constantine_99 said:

    i had a PCIe 2 mobo paired with 1050ti
    the performance jump was amazing (was using GT 630, so it's expected) even though my Pentium bottleneck it so hard (my GPU usage never reaches 60%)
    i play GTA at 768p very high - normal settings and get 40-50 fps (bottlenecked, GPU usage was bout 20-40% went up and down depending on the area)
    played skyrim with bout 100+ mod with all texture at highest (HD 2k, CBBE 4k, etc) and get like 30-60 fps (again, bottlenecked, GPU usage reach 47% at max if i recall correctly)

    the GTX 1050ti is winning again 960 in some cases
    and getting an older gen GPU is not worth i think (the driver supports, used stuff, warranty, etc)


    Thank you for this specific information. I'm debating on switching to a more powerful system (CPU+Mobo+GPU) entirely. I have read that FX8320's weaker cores don't do much for newer games - simply becoming outdated. And I would not want to upgrade a card (like the 1050ti) if it will hardly change my performance due to my CPU. I guess I have a followup question: what do you recommend for CPU+GPU pair good enough to withstand (new titles) 60fps high-max settings 1080p?
    Reply to pmcg521
  9. Best answer
    pmcg521 said:
    constantine_99 said:

    i had a PCIe 2 mobo paired with 1050ti
    the performance jump was amazing (was using GT 630, so it's expected) even though my Pentium bottleneck it so hard (my GPU usage never reaches 60%)
    i play GTA at 768p very high - normal settings and get 40-50 fps (bottlenecked, GPU usage was bout 20-40% went up and down depending on the area)
    played skyrim with bout 100+ mod with all texture at highest (HD 2k, CBBE 4k, etc) and get like 30-60 fps (again, bottlenecked, GPU usage reach 47% at max if i recall correctly)

    the GTX 1050ti is winning again 960 in some cases
    and getting an older gen GPU is not worth i think (the driver supports, used stuff, warranty, etc)


    Thank you for this specific information. I'm debating on switching to a more powerful system (CPU+Mobo+GPU) entirely. I have read that FX8320's weaker cores don't do much for newer games - simply becoming outdated. And I would not want to upgrade a card (like the 1050ti) if it will hardly change my performance due to my CPU. I guess I have a followup question: what do you recommend for CPU+GPU pair good enough to withstand (new titles) 60fps high-max settings 1080p?


    well, for Intel even the older i5 do well (i just changed to a i5 2400, u can search for benchmarks on youtube), but since Ryzen already launched, might as well go that way
    R3 / R5 with 1060 at very least if u want all high 1080p@60fps (ryzen path)

    GTX 1060 is required if u want high-max, 1050ti can only keep stable 60 on med-high

    GL finding a 1060 on a good price though (for now)

    note: with your FX now there are bound to be bottlenecks, but it won't be too much, since the core count are pretty big (8 right?) i had a friend who uses 8320 with a GTX 1070, and he plays happily till now
    Reply to constantine_99
  10. Why would anyone recommend a 1050ti as a replacement for a 7950 ??

    If anything the 7950 is slightly stronger.
    Reply to madmatt30
  11. madmatt30 said:
    Why would anyone recommend a 1050ti as a replacement for a 7950 ??

    If anything the 7950 is slightly stronger.


    oh yeah, after checking the benchmark here, it's does have slightly higher performance
    if that's so, why is he saying 7950 not holding up very well? a GPU with the same performance as GTX 1050ti should handle the new games just fine
    Reply to constantine_99
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gaming PC gaming AMD CPUs Gaming PCs Geforce Nvidia Gtx GPUs Bottleneck Graphics Cards