Why does my new 1080 seem to stutter more than my old R9 390x ?

the overall performance is better , but it still it stutters .. something i didn't have with my old R9 390x
Reply to jimmyEatWord
21 answers Last reply
More about 1080 stutter 390x
  1. What resolution are you running at? Perhaps you are producing too many frames for your monitor causing tearing?
    Reply to ImperialistMillitant
  2. Just to get the basics out of the way, when you installed your new card, you did remove the old AMD drivers using DDU right?(http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)

    After you are sure you have done that we will need more info. When is it stuttering? What are you doing at the time the stuttering happens? Is it just in games, or video playback as well?
    Reply to LilDog1291
  3. ImperialistMillitant said:
    What resolution are you running at? Perhaps you are producing too many frames for your monitor causing tearing?


    no its not screen tearing , it's stuttering on the part of the GPU , i can distinguish the two
    Reply to jimmyEatWord
  4. LilDog1291 said:
    Just to get the basics out of the way, when you installed your new card, you did remove the old AMD drivers using DDU right?(http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)

    After you are sure you have done that we will need more info. When is it stuttering? What are you doing at the time the stuttering happens? Is it just in games, or video playback as well?


    not only i removed the AMD crimson , but i also performed a clean installation of windows again in the honor of my new gtx 1080 .. and i downloaded the drivers directly from nvidia's site , the latest , not that guru thing

    well what i can tell is that the overall performance is much better than my previous 390x or before that 270x , it has extra details HBAO+ and filmic 2xx filtering and all the stuff at incredible resolution ; all by default ! . but at the start of the rendering it stutters , no matter what game it is :( , it's a somewhat minor disappointment . just in the games not in video playback
    Reply to jimmyEatWord
  5. also i asked this question in another thread , no one answered , so i ask again . Because i use an hdmi cable (dvi thing was not compatible with my monitors cable ) i'm sure all hdmi users are familiar to this i had to use screen resize (gpu scaling) cause by default it was overscanned . but when i play cod mw remastered , the render resolution is quite high (180 % of menu's 1920x1080) and in the game , it is again overscanned but i have no clue where to fix this ?! does anyone know ?!!?
    Reply to jimmyEatWord
  6. I know that HDMI is not an appropriate standard for 4k and high refresh rates, not sure about 1440p.

    Do you have another monitor you can use to test if its something to do with the monitor?
    Reply to Componentgirl90
  7. Componentgirl90 said:
    I know that HDMI is not an appropriate standard for 4k and high refresh rates, not sure about 1440p.

    Do you have another monitor you can use to test if its something to do with the monitor?


    i have a 42 inch tv , but i don't want to use that ! it's bad for my eyes and it makes me somehow paranoid with the big letters on the screen .
    Reply to jimmyEatWord
  8. it would be just to test to see if you get the problem on that tv
    Reply to Componentgirl90
  9. anyone wants to help me with this ? ! my brand new 1080 stutters even though i'm using the latest driver
    Reply to jimmyEatWord
  10. jimmyEatWord said:
    anyone wants to help me with this ? ! my brand new 1080 stutters even though i'm using the latest driver
    It would be nice to know the rest of your specs, CPU, RAM, motherboard, PSU.
    Reply to pete_101
  11. pete_101 said:
    jimmyEatWord said:
    anyone wants to help me with this ? ! my brand new 1080 stutters even though i'm using the latest driver
    It would be nice to know the rest of your specs, CPU, RAM, motherboard, PSU.



    i7 4790 non-K
    z97 k asus mobo
    ram : 16 gb total , two 4gb's geil , 1x 8 corsair different specs
    psu : 700 watts generic psu , not a hot brand but good nevertheless
    gpu : gtx 1080 water cooled sea hawk , msi , check it out in the show off your hardware .. thread


    what else do you need to know ? there are no bottlenecks whatsoever but still my graphics stutters at the beginning .
    Reply to jimmyEatWord
  12. stutters at the beginning of... what?
    Reply to mdd1963
  13. jimmyEatWord said:
    pete_101 said:
    jimmyEatWord said:
    anyone wants to help me with this ? ! my brand new 1080 stutters even though i'm using the latest driver
    It would be nice to know the rest of your specs, CPU, RAM, motherboard, PSU.



    i7 4790 non-K
    z97 k asus mobo
    ram : 16 gb total , two 4gb's geil , 1x 8 corsair different specs
    psu : 700 watts generic psu , not a hot brand but good nevertheless

    gpu : gtx 1080 water cooled sea hawk , msi , check it out in the show off your hardware .. thread


    what else do you need to know ? there are no bottlenecks whatsoever but still my graphics stutters at the beginning .


    RAM: try using only one 8GB RAM or 2 x 4GB pair. if you're using the 4GB pair make sure you put them in correct slot to enable dual channel.
    PSU: it is the same unit powering your old 390X?
    Reply to renz496
  14. mdd1963 said:
    stutters at the beginning of... what?


    most games , like call of duty
    Reply to jimmyEatWord
  15. renz496 said:
    jimmyEatWord said:
    pete_101 said:
    jimmyEatWord said:
    anyone wants to help me with this ? ! my brand new 1080 stutters even though i'm using the latest driver
    It would be nice to know the rest of your specs, CPU, RAM, motherboard, PSU.



    i7 4790 non-K
    z97 k asus mobo
    ram : 16 gb total , two 4gb's geil , 1x 8 corsair different specs
    psu : 700 watts generic psu , not a hot brand but good nevertheless

    gpu : gtx 1080 water cooled sea hawk , msi , check it out in the show off your hardware .. thread


    what else do you need to know ? there are no bottlenecks whatsoever but still my graphics stutters at the beginning .


    RAM: try using only one 8GB RAM or 2 x 4GB pair. if you're using the 4GB pair make sure you put them in correct slot to enable dual channel.
    PSU: it is the same unit powering your old 390X?


    my rams are in the right configuration according to motherboards' user manual . it's 16 gb total in windows

    psu : yes it's the same thing . not a hot psu , generic but it's good nevertheless . 700 watts is way more than what my specs consume so it's not the psu , it's an overkill indeed
    Reply to jimmyEatWord
  16. jimmyEatWord said:
    renz496 said:
    jimmyEatWord said:
    pete_101 said:
    jimmyEatWord said:
    anyone wants to help me with this ? ! my brand new 1080 stutters even though i'm using the latest driver
    It would be nice to know the rest of your specs, CPU, RAM, motherboard, PSU.



    i7 4790 non-K
    z97 k asus mobo
    ram : 16 gb total , two 4gb's geil , 1x 8 corsair different specs
    psu : 700 watts generic psu , not a hot brand but good nevertheless

    gpu : gtx 1080 water cooled sea hawk , msi , check it out in the show off your hardware .. thread


    what else do you need to know ? there are no bottlenecks whatsoever but still my graphics stutters at the beginning .


    RAM: try using only one 8GB RAM or 2 x 4GB pair. if you're using the 4GB pair make sure you put them in correct slot to enable dual channel.
    PSU: it is the same unit powering your old 390X?


    my rams are in the right configuration according to motherboards' user manual . it's 16 gb total in windows

    psu : yes it's the same thing . not a hot psu , generic but it's good nevertheless . 700 watts is way more than what my specs consume so it's not the psu , it's an overkill indeed


    i suggest you to only use 8GB RAM. either using that single stick 8GB or 4GB pair.
    Reply to renz496
  17. Drop down to the pair of 4 GB sticks as suggested, in required slots of 2 sticks of RAM config..., 3 sticks might 'function', but, you are only running in a half speed/half bandwidth config due to not having 2 pair of sticks in dual channel...
    Reply to mdd1963
  18. jimmyEatWord said:

    psu : yes it's the same thing . not a hot psu , generic but it's good nevertheless . 700 watts is way more than what my specs consume so it's not the psu , it's an overkill indeed


    you keep saying this, how do you know it is not a cheap chinese 300w with 700w stickers?


    "16 gb total , two 4gb's geil , 1x 8 corsair different specs"


    this also throws up red flags, use the geil ram alone
    Reply to maxalge
  19. why do you think it would be the RAM ? i don't get it
    Reply to jimmyEatWord
  20. you've mixed 2 different spec ram kits together, which is not ideal for optimal performance.

    Also, I can't tell for sure from the thread so far, but what resolution are you using?
    Reply to blockhead78
  21. jimmyEatWord said:
    why do you think it would be the RAM ? i don't get it


    mixing ram with different timings and amounts can lead to what you are experiencing

    which is why you should only buy paired ram sticks
    Reply to maxalge
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Performance