Faulty PCI-E slots? Faulty power supply? Help needed!

Set-Up:
- CPU: Intel i7-7700K
- PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 650W
- MOBO: ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4
- GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0

Hi all. My computer spontaneously shut down the other day, and wasn't turning back on. When I replaced the cable that goes from my PSU to my GPU, the computer turned back on. However, the computer no longer recognized that a graphics card was there - no display was coming out of the GPU. The onboard graphics, however, are still fine.

I took my computer to a local PC place nearby, and all he did was test the power supply. He said that was fine, and was inclined to think that the issue would be the graphics card. So, after pursuing a number of troubleshooting options (e.g., resetting CMOS, reseating RAM, uninstalling drivers, etc.), I RMA'd the graphics card and got a new one. The same issue happened. The computer posts and everything, but it does not detect a GPU.

I've reset the BIOS, updated the BIOS, and that does nothing. I've obligated the BIOS to force the computer to display from solely its PCI-E slots, but an error LED light comes on (VGA_LED for this MOBO). I've since done all the other stuff - reset the CMOS, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers - you name it, and nothing seems to solve the problem.

This leaves me with three questions:
- Are my PCI-E slots busted? I've tried both GPUs on all available slots, and nothing shows up.
- Did my PSU do this to me? After all, I replaced a wire and the computer turned on - could it just be a faulty cable? A faulty PSU, even if someone tested it to say it was fine?
- With that said, do I replace the MOBO? The PSU? Both?

I want to see if there's anything else I can troubleshoot here. I know it's not the GPU, but I don't know how it could be the PSU if the card still powers on? Is there something weird going on there? Is it purely the motherboard?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply to lspanias
5 answers Last reply
More about faulty pci slots faulty power supply needed
  1. I would get somebody to test your pci e slots and your PSU. Your PSU could have been faulty and then shocked the slot through the graphics card so you might want to get it checked too. Do you dust out your PC. I mean use air cans and microfiber cloths to make sure there is no dust in slots, fans, or in the PSU. If not dust inside the PSU could have built static and went shocking things.
    Reply to Nicholasashton6425
  2. Nicholasashton6425 said:
    I would get somebody to test your pci e slots and your PSU. Your PSU could have been faulty and then shocked the slot through the graphics card so you might want to get it checked too. Do you dust out your PC. I mean use air cans and microfiber cloths to make sure there is no dust in slots, fans, or in the PSU. If not dust inside the PSU could have built static and went shocking things.


    Hi there! Thank you for your reply. That sounds very plausible. How do I go about getting my PCI-E slots? I think I could sort out a way to test the Power Supply, but I'm not sure how else to test the PCI-E slots.

    And I'll be mindful of dust. I've certainly tried to be, but now that you mention it, I could be more diligent about it. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Reply to lspanias
  3. lspanias said:
    Nicholasashton6425 said:
    I would get somebody to test your pci e slots and your PSU. Your PSU could have been faulty and then shocked the slot through the graphics card so you might want to get it checked too. Do you dust out your PC. I mean use air cans and microfiber cloths to make sure there is no dust in slots, fans, or in the PSU. If not dust inside the PSU could have built static and went shocking things.


    Hi there! Thank you for your reply. That sounds very plausible. How do I go about getting my PCI-E slots? I think I could sort out a way to test the Power Supply, but I'm not sure how else to test the PCI-E slots.

    And I'll be mindful of dust. I've certainly tried to be, but now that you mention it, I could be more diligent about it. Thanks for the suggestion!


    Try moving the card to a different pci e slot and see if it works. Most likely if it does its the slot. If not its most likely the Graphics Card.
    Reply to Nicholasashton6425
  4. Nicholasashton6425 said:
    lspanias said:
    Nicholasashton6425 said:
    I would get somebody to test your pci e slots and your PSU. Your PSU could have been faulty and then shocked the slot through the graphics card so you might want to get it checked too. Do you dust out your PC. I mean use air cans and microfiber cloths to make sure there is no dust in slots, fans, or in the PSU. If not dust inside the PSU could have built static and went shocking things.


    Hi there! Thank you for your reply. That sounds very plausible. How do I go about getting my PCI-E slots? I think I could sort out a way to test the Power Supply, but I'm not sure how else to test the PCI-E slots.

    And I'll be mindful of dust. I've certainly tried to be, but now that you mention it, I could be more diligent about it. Thanks for the suggestion!


    Try moving the card to a different pci e slot and see if it works. Most likely if it does its the slot. If not its most likely the Graphics Card.


    It's not the graphics card. I've inserted a new graphics card, and both the old ones and new ones no longer are recognized by the motherboard in any of the PCI-E slots. When I've forced the BIOS to solely go through PCI-E and not through the onboard graphics, computer won't post. Any other ideas?
    Reply to lspanias
  5. lspanias said:
    Nicholasashton6425 said:
    lspanias said:
    Nicholasashton6425 said:
    I would get somebody to test your pci e slots and your PSU. Your PSU could have been faulty and then shocked the slot through the graphics card so you might want to get it checked too. Do you dust out your PC. I mean use air cans and microfiber cloths to make sure there is no dust in slots, fans, or in the PSU. If not dust inside the PSU could have built static and went shocking things.


    Hi there! Thank you for your reply. That sounds very plausible. How do I go about getting my PCI-E slots? I think I could sort out a way to test the Power Supply, but I'm not sure how else to test the PCI-E slots.

    And I'll be mindful of dust. I've certainly tried to be, but now that you mention it, I could be more diligent about it. Thanks for the suggestion!


    Try moving the card to a different pci e slot and see if it works. Most likely if it does its the slot. If not its most likely the Graphics Card.


    It's not the graphics card. I've inserted a new graphics card, and both the old ones and new ones no longer are recognized by the motherboard in any of the PCI-E slots. When I've forced the BIOS to solely go through PCI-E and not through the onboard graphics, computer won't post. Any other ideas?


    It could have shorted out all your PCI-E slots like I said before you should get them checked out!!!
    Reply to Nicholasashton6425
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Power Supplies Intel i7 CPUs PCI Express