Solved

Upgrading Graphics Card - Need Help with Suggestions and Compatibility.

I currently have,

Windows 8.1 (64)
AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz
AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
8gb of RAM
BenQ RL2455 Monitor
400w Power Supply
EDIT: SolyTech atx 400w switching power supply model SL-f400
EDIT: Motherboard MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) (MSI-7641)

I was looking to upgrade my graphics card (or whatever will give me a FPS boost).
I mostly play Overwatch, and have around 30-40fps on "medium" settings. I'm hoping to get around 60 on medium-high during resource-heavy fights.

I have a soft cap of $200, and was looking at https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-04G-P4-6253-KR/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=7PGAEYTQAQM3S8289815&th=1

Would this be a noticeable upgrade and be compatible with my other specs? Is there something better or another thing I could upgrade within the 200 limit and gain a fps boost (Is it possible for me to add more RAM with what I have?).
Reply to AustinG1990
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading graphics card suggestions compatibility
  1. That will definitely be an upgrade. And most 400W PSU should be fine with it. But it still would be nice to know the make/model of your PSU.
    Reply to clutchc
  2. It is a SolyTech atx 400w switching power supply model SL-f400
    Reply to AustinG1990
  3. Make/model of motherboard? If it doesn't have a UEFI bios, there could be compatibility issues. That power supply is very cheap and low end, but it's enough for the card. Those are the type of power supplies that will die on you when it's least convenient. It would be a good idea to get a good one someday.

    The R7 2xx series covers a lot of ground, from poor gaming to decent gaming. I'm guessing you have something on the low end, like a 240 or 250. The 1050 Ti will make a very big difference when paired with the CPU you have.
    Reply to dontlistentome
  4. dontlistentome said:
    Make/model of motherboard? If it doesn't have a UEFI bios, there could be compatibility issues. That power supply is very cheap and low end, but it's enough for the card. Those are the type of power supplies that will die on you when it's least convenient. It would be a good idea to get a good one someday.

    The R7 2xx series covers a lot of ground, from poor gaming to decent gaming. I'm guessing you have something on the low end, like a 240 or 250. The 1050 Ti will make a very big difference when paired with the CPU you have.


    Wasn't certain how to find out the exact number in the series. The motherboard is a MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) (MSI-7641).
    Reply to AustinG1990
  5. Best answer
    AustinG1990 said:
    It is a SolyTech atx 400w switching power supply model SL-f400


    This it?

    If so, not the best. But good enough for the GTX 1050 Ti.
    Reply to clutchc
  6. clutchc said:
    AustinG1990 said:
    It is a SolyTech atx 400w switching power supply model SL-f400


    This it?

    If so, not the best. But good enough for the GTX 1050 Ti.


    Yes I believe so, my computer is from IBUYPOWER and this looks identical to what I have.
    Reply to AustinG1990
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Processors Windows AMD Windows 8 Graphics Cards Compatibility