Solved

I only have one PCIe 6 pin connector trying to connect to a 8 pin graphics card

Hello!

So today I discovered that I only have one 6 pin connector trying to go to my GTX 1060 which requires an 8 pin connection. How would I go about getting another 6 pin cable? Is there any other way I can solve this problem? Btw my PSU can handle up to 850W so I believe the PSU is not a problem.
Reply to Wesley_17
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about pcie pin connector connect pin graphics card
  1. Wesley_17 said:
    Hello!

    So today I discovered that I only have one 6 pin connector trying to go to my GTX 1060 which requires an 8 pin connection. How would I go about getting another 6 pin cable? Is there any other way I can solve this problem? Btw my PSU can handle up to 850W so I believe the PSU is not a problem.


    a "850w" with only a single 6-pin is not going to be good at all, is it modular?


    if it is NOT modular, the easiest solution is to return the 1060 for one that only needs a 6-pin


    the second option is a proper psu with the cables you need
    Reply to maxalge
  2. maxalge said:
    Wesley_17 said:
    Hello!

    So today I discovered that I only have one 6 pin connector trying to go to my GTX 1060 which requires an 8 pin connection. How would I go about getting another 6 pin cable? Is there any other way I can solve this problem? Btw my PSU can handle up to 850W so I believe the PSU is not a problem.


    a "850w" with only a single 6-pin is not going to be good at all, is it modular?


    if it is NOT modular, the easiest solution is to return the 1060 for one that only needs a 6-pin


    the second option is a proper psu with the cables you need


    My PSU is not modular, however is it possible to use a PCIe 6 pin to 8 pin singular adapter?
    Reply to Wesley_17
  3. Wesley_17 said:
    maxalge said:
    Wesley_17 said:
    Hello!

    So today I discovered that I only have one 6 pin connector trying to go to my GTX 1060 which requires an 8 pin connection. How would I go about getting another 6 pin cable? Is there any other way I can solve this problem? Btw my PSU can handle up to 850W so I believe the PSU is not a problem.


    a "850w" with only a single 6-pin is not going to be good at all, is it modular?


    if it is NOT modular, the easiest solution is to return the 1060 for one that only needs a 6-pin


    the second option is a proper psu with the cables you need


    My PSU is not modular, however is it possible to use a PCIe 6 pin to 8 pin singular adapter?


    no


    the 8-pin is rated at twice the wattage as a 6-pin


    not recommended with a crap power supply, which 100% a "850w" non modular with only a single 6-pin IS
    Reply to maxalge
  4. Best answer
    6-pin and 8-pin are capable of carrying the same wattage load. Difference lies in the power supply itself, and how it is set up internally, not the connector/s.

    That aside ... what is the PSU? Seems strange a 850w unit only has a 6-pin. Sure it is not 6+2=8-pin?
    Reply to Susquehannock
  5. Susquehannock said:
    6-pin and 8-pin are capable of carrying the same wattage load. Difference lies in the power supply itself, and how it is set up internally, not the connector/s.

    That aside ... what is the PSU? Seems strange a 850w unit only has a 6-pin. Sure it is not 6+2=8-pin?


    6-pin are designed for 75w

    8-pin double that, 150w

    a 6+2 is designed for 150w


    so it would not be smart to try to get 150w out of a so called "850w" psu with only a 6-pin, probably has super crap wire quality
    Reply to maxalge
  6. Susquehannock said:
    6-pin and 8-pin are capable of carrying the same wattage load. Difference lies in the power supply itself, and how it is set up internally, not the connector/s.

    That aside ... what is the PSU? Seems strange a 850w unit only has a 6-pin. Sure it is not 6+2=8-pin?


    Sadly it does only have one 6 pin connector as I am unable to find a 2 pin.
    Is it possible to jumper pin 4 and pin 8 on the GPU power connector given pin 8 is a ground line and pin 4 is a sense line per the GPU power connections.
    Reply to Wesley_17
  7. Wesley_17 said:
    Susquehannock said:
    6-pin and 8-pin are capable of carrying the same wattage load. Difference lies in the power supply itself, and how it is set up internally, not the connector/s.

    That aside ... what is the PSU? Seems strange a 850w unit only has a 6-pin. Sure it is not 6+2=8-pin?


    Sadly it does only have one 6 pin connector as I am unable to find a 2 pin.
    Is it possible to jumper pin 4 and pin 8 on the GPU power connector given pin 8 is a ground line and pin 4 is a sense line per the GPU power connections.


    no way getting around buying a new psu
    Reply to maxalge
  8. That 850w PSU may not be poor quality. Simply old enough it was made before the 8-pin standard was implemented.

    Quote:
    Is it possible to jumper pin 4 and pin 8 on the GPU power connector given pin 8 is a ground line and pin 4 is a sense line per the GPU power connections.


    That is exactly what a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter does.

    What is the model of the power supply? Can you post a pic of the label? If single rail type, and not loaded with many other 12-v components, it should be able to provide what is needed regardless.

    Let's put this another way ... the 75w and 150w are minimum standards that is to be supplied to the PCIe connectors. The connectors are just that, connectors. They do not limit wattage in on themselves. That is a function of the PSU internals.
    Reply to Susquehannock
Ask a new question Answer