Solved

Which cpu should I buy for the best gaming experience?

Hi there, I want to upgrade my pc, my current config:
Amd phenom ii x4 840
Gtx 960 strix
970a-ds3p motherboard
And 8 gb ram (memory) but only 5.98 is usable.
Cx 500

So I need to buy a new cpu and a new motherboard and also new ram.
What things should I buy to get the most out of the new config?
I have 300€ maybe I can get a few more € if necessarly.
Reply to roland8994
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cpu buy gaming experience
  1. Best answer
    You want to use the G4560 with 8GB RAM and a B350 motherboard...you also want a new PSU as that one is of poor quality.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($74.89 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($54.88 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $243.75
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-28 15:11 EDT-0400
    Reply to Herc08
  2. PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nWZkzM
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/nWZkzM/by_merchant/

    CPU: Intel - Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£156.98 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI - B250 PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£87.80 @ Alza)
    Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£61.67 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £306.45
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-28 20:35 BST+0100
    Reply to KingReZo
  3. Herc08 said:
    You want to use the G4560 with 8GB RAM and a B350 motherboard...you also want a new PSU as that one is of poor quality.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($74.89 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($54.88 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $243.75
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-28 15:11 EDT-0400
    Reply to roland8994
  4. Thank you for the fast reply. And what about the i5 7400 or amd ryzen 5 1400? Are those not that great?
    Reply to roland8994
  5. roland8994 said:
    Thank you for the fast reply. And what about the i5 7400 or amd ryzen 5 1400? Are those not that great?


    They are great, but you have a GTX 960. So unless you plan on getting those, it doesn't really make sense. Also, if you are only gaming, Intel's are better.
    Reply to Herc08
  6. I want to buy a gtx1060 next summer, so is it still worth buying those instead of these cpu-s?
    Or I should buy the ryzen or the intel and play with gtx 960 until next summer or is it a better deal to buy your suggested devices?
    Is this cpu good for the 1060?
    Reply to roland8994
  7. And I'm just planning on the most value/price. And I asked this question because I'm not good in this pc configs :) I want to play with playerunknown battleground and with the division. So is your suggested upgrade good enough for these games?
    Reply to roland8994
  8. Well if you do plan on upgrading, and you are ONLY gaming, get the i5-7500 and a B250 board.
    Reply to Herc08
  9. I only want to play games :) and do I need to get the psu and the ram too? Or only the ram is necessary?
    Reply to roland8994
  10. roland8994 said:
    I only want to play games :) and do I need to get the psu and the ram too? Or only the ram is necessary?


    Just use this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($187.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($54.88 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $356.75
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-28 16:18 EDT-0400
    Reply to Herc08
  11. Thank you so much. You are a big help. Last questions, if I can't afford those things all in one right now, is the i7 7400 good enough or should I wait and get some money? And why is my psu wrong?
    Reply to roland8994
  12. Its i5 7400 not i7
    Reply to roland8994
  13. roland8994 said:
    Its i5 7400 not i7


    If you are only gaming, the i5 is perfect. If you want to get the i7, you can, but probably won't help much. Also, your current PSU is of poor quality, and if it goes out, it can take your new parts out as well.

    Again, since you are only gaming, get the i5 and call it a day. You will need a new motherboard and RAM. The PSU is recommended, but not needed. Just my three cents.
    Reply to Herc08
  14. Thanks for your helps, Im going to buy the i5 740, b250 motherboard, 8 gb ram ddr4 and the psu asap
    Reply to roland8994
  15. And for my really last question, can I run the newest games on the i5 pc?
    Reply to roland8994
  16. roland8994 said:
    And for my really last question, can I run the newest games on the i5 pc?


    Yes.
    Reply to Herc08
  17. He already has a CX500 PSU. He doesn't need a CXM450 they are similar if not the same quality.

    If you're wanting to upgrade your CPU for gaming with your budget skip the G4560 and go for at least an i5-7xxx or a Ryzen 5.
    Reply to MrN1ce9uy
  18. Thank you guys
    Reply to roland8994
Ask a new question Answer