Geforce GTX 1060 3gb OC LOW FRAMERATES! Please help!

I have been playing a lot of Player Unkown's Battlegrounds lately, and I just bought a new GTX 1060 GPU to run it proficiently. I am consistently only pulling around 35 fps, when i'm fairly certain it should be closer to 60.

Here are my specs:
CPU- AMD FX-8320
GPU- Geforce GTX 1060 3gb OC
RAM- 8gb
Motherboard: M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Power supply: 800w
Windows: 8.1

CPU temp- Never over 60C
GPU temp- Never over 55C

I have been trying to figure this out for weeks. Someone please help!
Reply to jterry247
19 answers Last reply
More about geforce gtx 1060 3gb low framerates
  1. What PSU specifically? 800w isn't enough information

    Also, what specs are you running it on? You're about one step over the minimum specifications for CPU, and that game isn't super well optimized far as I can tell
    Reply to kaptainkuftic
  2. I'd use MSI Afterburner to observe CPU and GPU clockspeeds and usage. You want to be sure that your CPU is not throttling, and that your card is running at the correct speed as well.

    In usage and assuming clockspeeds are okay, if you are seeing very high CPU use, like up near 100%, but the card use is not that high then this means your CPU is holding you back. You can try turning down CPU intensive settings. Also, that game can use a lot of vram, so make sure you choose settings that keep vram use under 3gb.
    Reply to dontlistentome
  3. kaptainkuftic said:
    What PSU specifically? 800w isn't enough information

    Also, what specs are you running it on? You're about one step over the minimum specifications for CPU, and that game isn't super well optimized far as I can tell


    I'm still learning all this, but what I can tell you about the power supply is it's a Thermaltake Smart series 850W. Model SP-850AH3CCB (Sorry, I put 800W originally).

    I am also running the game on all VERY LOW settings. I have the game set for optimal performance in the Nvidia control panel as well, and thread optimization is on.
    Reply to jterry247
  4. no worries, that PSU isn't unbelievable or anything, but it should be able to put out enough power.

    What resolution are you playing it at?

    Also, is very low the settings it has in the actual game, or is that just what GFE says? You almost always want to set your settings specifically in the game
    Reply to kaptainkuftic
  5. dontlistentome said:
    I'd use MSI Afterburner to observe CPU and GPU clockspeeds and usage. You want to be sure that your CPU is not throttling, and that your card is running at the correct speed as well.

    In usage and assuming clockspeeds are okay, if you are seeing very high CPU use, like up near 100%, but the card use is not that high then this means your CPU is holding you back. You can try turning down CPU intensive settings. Also, that game can use a lot of vram, so make sure you choose settings that keep vram use under 3gb.


    kaptainkuftic said:
    no worries, that PSU isn't unbelievable or anything, but it should be able to put out enough power.

    What resolution are you playing it at?

    Also, is very low the settings it has in the actual game, or is that just what GFE says? You almost always want to set your settings specifically in the game


    I am currently running at 1680x1050 as that is as high as my monitor goes.
    Reply to jterry247
  6. Do you see ~100% cpu utilization when you play?
    Reply to kaptainkuftic
  7. Reply to jterry247
  8. dontlistentome said:
    I'd use MSI Afterburner to observe CPU and GPU clockspeeds and usage. You want to be sure that your CPU is not throttling, and that your card is running at the correct speed as well.

    In usage and assuming clockspeeds are okay, if you are seeing very high CPU use, like up near 100%, but the card use is not that high then this means your CPU is holding you back. You can try turning down CPU intensive settings. Also, that game can use a lot of vram, so make sure you choose settings that keep vram use under 3gb.


    Here is what it looks like in game:
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/859474341222308814/05DDF9846A2FA604063679210569EAF8F541452F/

    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/859474341222308503/995173B75C330EAD6A7841C76E45600BDD87A27C/
    Reply to jterry247
  9. What are your graphic settings in game? Step 1 is reduce them and see if it fixes it. The game is known for not running all that well, especially if there's other players around. My FPS can be consistently under 30 then in the same area in another match, 60+.
    Reply to wolfram23
  10. wolfram23 said:
    What are your graphic settings in game? Step 1 is reduce them and see if it fixes it. The game is known for not running all that well, especially if there's other players around. My FPS can be consistently under 30 then in the same area in another match, 60+.


    All my settings are at very low currently. But I noticed my GPU is only running at sub 50% the whole time? Is that normal?
    Reply to jterry247
  11. Reply to wh3resmycar
  12. wh3resmycar said:


    I don't understand. Not only does it state that the 1060 is pulling 60+ fps, but they only test Medium and Ultra settings. I am running at a lower resolution AND on very low settings.
    Reply to jterry247
  13. jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:


    I don't understand. Not only does it state that the 1060 is pulling 60+ fps, but they only test Medium and Ultra settings. I am running at a lower resolution AND on very low settings.



    ok i was not able to see the post where it was mentioned you were running low settings already, but the game is extremely CPU bound. is this the only game where it is acting up like this?
    Reply to wh3resmycar
  14. wh3resmycar said:
    jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:


    I don't understand. Not only does it state that the 1060 is pulling 60+ fps, but they only test Medium and Ultra settings. I am running at a lower resolution AND on very low settings.



    ok i was not able to see the post where it was mentioned you were running low settings already, but the game is extremely CPU bound. is this the only game where it is acting up like this?

    It's the only game I'm playing at the moment. My issue is that I'm seeing people with the same GPU as me, but with a worse CPU, and pulling 60+ FPS, and I'm confused as to why I'm stuck around 35 fps.
    Reply to jterry247
  15. jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:
    jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:


    I don't understand. Not only does it state that the 1060 is pulling 60+ fps, but they only test Medium and Ultra settings. I am running at a lower resolution AND on very low settings.



    ok i was not able to see the post where it was mentioned you were running low settings already, but the game is extremely CPU bound. is this the only game where it is acting up like this?

    It's the only game I'm playing at the moment. My issue is that I'm seeing people with the same GPU as me, but with a worse CPU, and pulling 60+ FPS, and I'm confused as to why I'm stuck around 35 fps.


    it would be nice if you can try a different game so you can isolate as many factors as possible. just a hunch, are you sure you don't have vsync forced through the Nvidia control panel? or possibly, switch off all types of vsync.
    Reply to wh3resmycar
  16. wh3resmycar said:
    jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:
    jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:


    I don't understand. Not only does it state that the 1060 is pulling 60+ fps, but they only test Medium and Ultra settings. I am running at a lower resolution AND on very low settings.



    ok i was not able to see the post where it was mentioned you were running low settings already, but the game is extremely CPU bound. is this the only game where it is acting up like this?

    It's the only game I'm playing at the moment. My issue is that I'm seeing people with the same GPU as me, but with a worse CPU, and pulling 60+ FPS, and I'm confused as to why I'm stuck around 35 fps.


    it would be nice if you can try a different game so you can isolate as many factors as possible. just a hunch, are you sure you don't have vsync forced through the Nvidia control panel? or possibly, switch off all types of vsync.


    I turned off vsync and it the fps actually got worse believe it or not. Playing Overwatch I get around 60fps on ultra settings.
    Reply to jterry247
  17. jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:
    jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:
    jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:


    I don't understand. Not only does it state that the 1060 is pulling 60+ fps, but they only test Medium and Ultra settings. I am running at a lower resolution AND on very low settings.



    ok i was not able to see the post where it was mentioned you were running low settings already, but the game is extremely CPU bound. is this the only game where it is acting up like this?

    It's the only game I'm playing at the moment. My issue is that I'm seeing people with the same GPU as me, but with a worse CPU, and pulling 60+ FPS, and I'm confused as to why I'm stuck around 35 fps.


    it would be nice if you can try a different game so you can isolate as many factors as possible. just a hunch, are you sure you don't have vsync forced through the Nvidia control panel? or possibly, switch off all types of vsync.


    I turned off vsync and it the fps actually got worse believe it or not. Playing Overwatch I get around 60fps on ultra settings.


    have you tried any of the fps booster guides? they helped me alot. It could just be the game being unoptimized...
    Reply to Zmanrocks
  18. jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:
    jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:


    I don't understand. Not only does it state that the 1060 is pulling 60+ fps, but they only test Medium and Ultra settings. I am running at a lower resolution AND on very low settings.



    ok i was not able to see the post where it was mentioned you were running low settings already, but the game is extremely CPU bound. is this the only game where it is acting up like this?

    It's the only game I'm playing at the moment. My issue is that I'm seeing people with the same GPU as me, but with a worse CPU, and pulling 60+ FPS, and I'm confused as to why I'm stuck around 35 fps.


    you have the worse cpu actually

    the ryzen 5 and intel i5 are vastly superior at gaming
    Reply to maxalge
  19. maxalge said:
    jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:
    jterry247 said:
    wh3resmycar said:


    I don't understand. Not only does it state that the 1060 is pulling 60+ fps, but they only test Medium and Ultra settings. I am running at a lower resolution AND on very low settings.



    ok i was not able to see the post where it was mentioned you were running low settings already, but the game is extremely CPU bound. is this the only game where it is acting up like this?

    It's the only game I'm playing at the moment. My issue is that I'm seeing people with the same GPU as me, but with a worse CPU, and pulling 60+ FPS, and I'm confused as to why I'm stuck around 35 fps.


    you have the worse cpu actually

    the ryzen 5 and intel i5 are vastly superior at gaming


    So the CPU is most likely what's holding me back then. Thank you for the help everyone!
    Reply to jterry247
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gtx GPUs CPUs Geforce