Solved

AMD 970 Chipset issue

Planning on building this PC https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KFfWTH, I get the
"some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions"
error, I know this can normally be ignored; is this setup okay or do i need to upgrade to the M5A97 R2.0 motherboard?
thanks
Reply to Toby_19
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about amd 970 chipset issue
  1. Don't build with FX there are better options.
    Reply to SR-71 Blackbird
  2. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Don't build with FX there are better options.

    At the budget I've looked at i thought the 8350 was quite good, what would you recommend?
    Reply to Toby_19
  3. What's your budget?

    Note that depending on use case, an FX can be outperformed by an i3 or Pentium.
    Reply to Corwin65
  4. Corwin65 said:
    What's your budget?

    Note that depending on use case, an FX can be outperformed by an i3 or Pentium.

    £450 maximum but I've already got a hard drive
    Reply to Toby_19
  5. Hrmm....

    Unless you also already have a GPU, it's going to be really, really difficult to get a decent build for that price. The new 2C/4T Pentiums notwithstanding, you're still probably better off getting a Kaby Lake Core i5 or a Ryzen 5 system, but you'd maybe have £100 left for a GPU after getting the CPU, motherboard, & 16GB of DDR4 RAM.

    EDIT: Oh, I forgot that that wasn't including PSU, case, keyboard, mouse, or Windows either.
    Reply to spdragoo
  6. spdragoo said:
    Hrmm....

    Unless you also already have a GPU, it's going to be really, really difficult to get a decent build for that price. The new 2C/4T Pentiums notwithstanding, you're still probably better off getting a Kaby Lake Core i5 or a Ryzen 5 system, but you'd maybe have £100 left for a GPU after getting the CPU, motherboard, & 16GB of DDR4 RAM.

    EDIT: Oh, I forgot that that wasn't including PSU, case, keyboard, mouse, or Windows either.


    With the build i've planned (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/tobytuszynski/saved/#view=xjmMpg) i reckon i can do it, i've put quite a bit of research into it and if i'm buying new i couldn't find a CPU that yields better performance for the price, baring in mind i'm only really looking for medium/high graphics 1080p gaming
    Reply to Toby_19
  7. You are building on a dead end platform with no upgrade path.
    Swap out the FX for a Pentium G4560 and a B250 motherboard and some DDR4 RAM and see if you can fit it in your budget.
    Reply to Corwin65
  8. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

    Gives him that Pentium, a B250 motherboard, 16GB of DDR4-3000, & the same GPU/case/PSU...but it comes £15 over his absolute max. And I'm not 100% sure on that PSU, either -- yes, it's an EVGA, but it's only an "80 Plus" (EVGA lists it as "80+ White", which is technically a level below Bronze; https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-W1-0430-KR). Their SuperNOVA 550W G2/80+ Gold (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1) costs about £47 more.
    Reply to spdragoo
  9. Corwin65 said:
    You are building on a dead end platform with no upgrade path.
    Swap out the FX for a Pentium G4560 and a B250 motherboard and some DDR4 RAM and see if you can fit it in your budget.

    Any Idea how much longer the AM3+ socket has left in its life cycle? I don't think i can stretch to the newer cpus etc without making compromises in performance
    Reply to Toby_19
  10. Toby_19 said:
    Corwin65 said:
    You are building on a dead end platform with no upgrade path.
    Swap out the FX for a Pentium G4560 and a B250 motherboard and some DDR4 RAM and see if you can fit it in your budget.

    Any Idea how much longer the AM3+ socket has left in its life cycle? I don't think i can stretch to the newer cpus etc without making compromises in performance


    It's already end of life.
    Reply to Corwin65
  11. Corwin65 said:
    Toby_19 said:
    Corwin65 said:
    You are building on a dead end platform with no upgrade path.
    Swap out the FX for a Pentium G4560 and a B250 motherboard and some DDR4 RAM and see if you can fit it in your budget.

    Any Idea how much longer the AM3+ socket has left in its life cycle? I don't think i can stretch to the newer cpus etc without making compromises in performance


    It's already end of life.

    How so? I know there's a more recent version namely Ryzen and the intel equivalent but Surely it's still fine for moderate gaming for quite some time more?
    Reply to Toby_19
  12. Best answer
    Toby_19 said:
    Corwin65 said:
    Toby_19 said:
    Corwin65 said:
    You are building on a dead end platform with no upgrade path.
    Swap out the FX for a Pentium G4560 and a B250 motherboard and some DDR4 RAM and see if you can fit it in your budget.

    Any Idea how much longer the AM3+ socket has left in its life cycle? I don't think i can stretch to the newer cpus etc without making compromises in performance


    It's already end of life.

    How so? I know there's a more recent version namely Ryzen and the intel equivalent but Surely it's still fine for moderate gaming for quite some time more?


    It's bested in price and performance by the Hyperthreading Pentium G4560.
    A G4560 platform has an actual upgrade path and will for longer than how well the FX last.

    Obviously i5 and above will best the FX as will the new Ryzen lineups.

    If you look closely, you should see that you can get more for your money with a non EOL platform.
    Reply to Corwin65
  13. Corwin65 said:
    Toby_19 said:
    Corwin65 said:
    Toby_19 said:
    Corwin65 said:
    You are building on a dead end platform with no upgrade path.
    Swap out the FX for a Pentium G4560 and a B250 motherboard and some DDR4 RAM and see if you can fit it in your budget.

    Any Idea how much longer the AM3+ socket has left in its life cycle? I don't think i can stretch to the newer cpus etc without making compromises in performance


    It's already end of life.

    How so? I know there's a more recent version namely Ryzen and the intel equivalent but Surely it's still fine for moderate gaming for quite some time more?


    It's bested in price and performance by the Hyperthreading Pentium G4560.
    A G4560 platform has an actual upgrade path and will for longer than how well the FX last.

    Obviously i5 and above will best the FX as will the new Ryzen lineups.

    If you look closely, you should see that you can get more for your money with a non EOL platform.


    Just looked at the G4560 and wow, much better value... like way better thanks i'll look into it now
    Reply to Toby_19
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

BIOS AMD Motherboards Chipsets