Solved

1080 ti black screen overclocking software

so recently bought a 1080ti (ichill x4).

It came with inno3d overclocking software, i have also tried msi afterburner.

So my main issue is as soon as i save an overclocked profile with either software, even if i dont change any settings, i get a black screen when launching 3dmark or unigine heaven. I have also experienced issues launching crysis 3, dishonored 2. the screen stays black until i alt + tab out of the screen.

If i then close afterburner or inno3d i still get the same black screen when i launch an application and the only fix is to restart windows 10 and not use them.

any ideas?

cheers
Reply to Sean Payne
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1080 black screen overclocking software
  1. Ok, I am simply guessing but it sounds that you got unlucky with the silicon lottery. Your GPU seems not to accept any OC you are trying (or you try a higher than you should). That's why when you restart it goes back to normal. As I said, I am just guessing.
    Try the minimum OC possible and see if it still happens.
    Reply to dotas1
  2. I did a clean sweep of the drivers and installed the latest versions. i changed the power options in the nvidia control panel to maximum performance.

I can now play games with the card overclocked however any of the benchmark software still gives a black screen upon launch before i even start any benchmark.
    Reply to Sean Payne
  3. Did you use DDU?
    Reply to dotas1
  4. Sean Payne said:
    so recently bought a 1080ti (ichill x4).

It came with inno3d overclocking software, i have also tried msi afterburner.

So my main issue is as soon as i save an overclocked profile with either software, even if i dont change any settings, i get a black screen when launching 3dmark or unigine heaven. I have also experienced issues launching crysis 3, dishonored 2. the screen stays black until i alt + tab out of the screen.

If i then close afterburner or inno3d i still get the same black screen when i launch an application and the only fix is to restart windows 10 and not use them.

any ideas?

cheers

What value did you try to OC at and at what settings? You need to increase the power limit first and then the core voltage if necessary. What is you stock boost clock rate while gaming?
    Reply to Compuser10165
  5. i just left the overclocking setting at default. turns out both 3d mark and unigine heaven 4.0 wouldnt work because msi afterburner was running in the background after i closed it. i ended the afterburner application in task manager and they both load up no problem.

Reply to Sean Payne
  6. Best answer
    Then, my guess is that you didn't OC properly (unstable settings). Use Afterburner to OC and set a custom fan curve (not as conservative as the default one) and also don't tick the 'Apply overclocking at system startup box' (only apply OC when needed) as if it's unstable it can lead to freezes/black(blue) screens. Try to OC in smaller increments (only the core as the memory is fast enough imo) while checking for stability and artifacts in both Benchmarks and actual games (if the benchmark is not artifacting, try a demanding game).

P.S. I also noticed that sometimes when you start MSI Afterburner you need to wait a few seconds in which you should not hover your mouse over the GUI area as it sometimes leads to freezes. Also, leave it open, don't minimize it.
    Reply to Compuser10165
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Inno3D MSI-Microstar Software