Solved

High load on CPU and GPU yet low temps.

Hi!
I wanted to try out bitcoin mining on my gaming PC just for fun. I'll probably run for a few hours each day for a few days. I run an i7-7700K and an Asus Gtx 1080 Stix. I have a 65% load constant on CPU with temps almost perfectly constant on 50 Degrees Celsius, and 100% percent load on my GPU with constant 60 degrees (no higher) Celsius. Should I worry about insane power consumption?

Edit: Forgot to ask if I should be worried about hardware degradation? Is that only about the temps? Cause then I'm fine, if it's about the load, I'll need to quit.

Thanks!
Reply to CrustyCam
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about high load cpu gpu low temps
  1. Both of your temps are GOOD.
    As far as wearing them out?
    Good parts last.
    I have 3 computers running for folding @ home.
    They run 24/7/365 at or near 100% load with slight breaks between work units( maybe a minute.
    My 2P L5420@3.0ghz has arround8 years solid.
    My GTX460@850mhz has ran for 6 years
    My AMD X6@3.6ghz has ran for 7 years
    My GTX 1070@2012 just a year now.
    As long as you keep them cool and don't go crazy on the voltage you will be fine
    Reply to Unolocogringo
  2. Unolocogringo said:
    Both of your temps are GOOD.
    As far as wearing them out?
    Good parts last.
    I have 3 computers running for folding @ home.
    They run 24/7/365 at or near 100% load with slight breaks between work units( maybe a minute.
    My 2P L5420@3.0ghz has arround8 years solid.
    My GTX460@850mhz has ran for 6 years
    My AMD X6@3.6ghz has ran for 7 years
    My GTX 1070@2012 just a year now.
    As long as you keep them cool and don't go crazy on the voltage you will be fine


    I am overclocking my gpu and have voltage set to 100%, cause I've read thats best. Im guessing I should lower that? If so, by how much?
    Reply to CrustyCam
  3. Best answer
    Every chip is different. So I can not give a specific number. But set voltage to default
    You will get very comparable clock speeds and lower temps, if you slide the Power limit all of the way to the right. 112%.
    Then set a custom fan curve that keeps the card @70c or below. The higher the temp, the lower the boost rate, If your fan noise level lets you keep it cooler it will automatically boost higher.

    Just play with the fan speed setting until the noise of the fan becomes unacceptable, then lower it slightly and this will be your temperature limit as far as fan noise is concerned.
    Hopefully this will keep your card in the 70c or less range.
    Reply to Unolocogringo
  4. Unolocogringo said:
    Every chip is different. So I can not give a specific number. But set voltage to default
    You will get very comparable clock speeds and lower temps, if you slide the Power limit all of the way to the right. 112%.
    Then set a custom fan curve that keeps the card @70c or below. The higher the temp, the lower the boost rate, If your fan noise level lets you keep it cooler it will automatically boost higher.

    Just play with the fan speed setting until the noise of the fan becomes unacceptable, then lower it slightly and this will be your temperature limit as far as fan noise is concerned.
    Hopefully this will keep your card in the 70c or less range.

    Thanks! Seems like I'm good then. Since my fan curve keeps me below. Im considering mining ether instead of bitcoin, and am REALLY tempted to spend 50 on one, or half on each. I am a student so can't really afford more, but I'd be fine if I dont get any results. You think it's worth it?
    Reply to CrustyCam
  5. if your electricity is free then you can make a little money.
    If you pay for electricity, you will pay more than you earn.
    Reply to Unolocogringo
  6. Unolocogringo said:

    if your electricity is free then you can make a little money.
    If you pay for electricity, you will pay more than you earn.


    Im assuming you go to college or something? Or apartment where u divide a bill (Im not sure how it works where you are).
    Reply to CrustyCam
  7. No way past that.
    55 years old and my oldest granddaughter is 16.
    Surprise I'm an old time Geek, been doing this stuff for 21 years.
    Reply to Unolocogringo
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Intel i7 Bitcoins CPUs Gaming PCs GPUs Graphics Cards