Solved

Making Videos New Build or Upgrade Advice Needed

First post here, hopefully will be many more. Am in need of help and advice.

I have been giving consideration to upgrading my computer build from 2014. I have built three so far, each about 3 years from the last. I’m having second thoughts of doing it again. Here’s why. Would appreciate some validation of my thinking and or some additional advice.

Scenario…. I don’t game, this is a home office PC. However I’m starting to make YouTube video’s of my musical instrument playing to share with my instructor, with whom I take Skype lessons from.

The problem I’m running into is when I record myself using Adobe Premier Elements 15, which I just installed, along with a good mic (on a Focusrite external card) I get severe screen shimmering across the bottom third of my recorded video. Of note, I don’t get the shimmering when I record using MS Moviemaker and then open the saved movie in Elements and work with Audacity before uploading.

Here is my system now. Intel I7 950@3.07Ghz, 12G DDR3 1600 and here’s what I think is the issue, a GTX770 GPU. I have a great ASUS VE278Q monitor, good SSD storage and a 850w power supply.

Should I just try buying a GTX 1070 GPU to drive the ASUS monitor and get another year or so out of the CPU and Motherboard to do my video? The SSD drives work just fine and I just shutter at doing another build from scratch with a new OS and installing everything again.

Is the CPU going to cut it once I upgrade the GPU? Should I consider upgrading my RAM? Any thoughts appreciated.

The system works fine for everything else except video production.

THANK YOU for any feedback.
Reply to Willin
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about making videos build upgrade advice needed
  1. GPU has little to none to do with making videos so you should concentrate on decent CPU with as many cores as possible and a load of RAM.
    Reply to CountMike
  2. Willin said:
    First post here, hopefully will be many more. Am in need of help and advice.

    I have been giving consideration to upgrading my computer build from 2014. I have built three so far, each about 3 years from the last. I’m having second thoughts of doing it again. Here’s why. Would appreciate some validation of my thinking and or some additional advice.

    Scenario…. I don’t game, this is a home office PC. However I’m starting to make YouTube video’s of my musical instrument playing to share with my instructor, with whom I take Skype lessons from.

    The problem I’m running into is when I record myself using Adobe Premier Elements 15, which I just installed, along with a good mic (on a Focusrite external card) I get severe screen shimmering across the bottom third of my recorded video. Of note, I don’t get the shimmering when I record using MS Moviemaker and then open the saved movie in Elements and work with Audacity before uploading.

    Here is my system now. Intel I7 950@3.07Ghz, 12G DDR3 1600 and here’s what I think is the issue, a GTX770 GPU. I have a great ASUS VE278Q monitor, good SSD storage and a 850w power supply.

    Should I just try buying a GTX 1070 GPU to drive the ASUS monitor and get another year or so out of the CPU and Motherboard to do my video? The SSD drives work just fine and I just shutter at doing another build from scratch with a new OS and installing everything again.

    Is the CPU going to cut it once I upgrade the GPU? Should I consider upgrading my RAM? Any thoughts appreciated.

    The system works fine for everything else except video production.

    THANK YOU for any feedback.



    If you are not gaming, there is no need for a better GPU. Making videos, however, need ram. I recommend investing in
    32 gigs of DDR4 Ram, but if you don't want to go for that much, 16 GB should be good enough. It would probably be in your best interest to upgrade to DDR4 ram for content creation and feel free to upgrade you GPU anytime. Please feel free to get back to me for any more help :)
    Reply to I might be a Pineapple
  3. AMD Ryzen R7 1800x with loads of DDR4 RAM would be an ideal machine for stuff like that. A larger M2 SSD and another SATA one for scratch files would make that a fine recording studio.
    Reply to CountMike
  4. Thank you to both of you for taking the time to respond. Truly appreciated.

    I’m fairly certain I will go with the following build for the new system unless I am given sound advice to the contrary.



    I’m also giving consideration to returning to the hobby of flightsimming. I flew with various VA’s for many years and enjoyed it immensely. Now that Prepar3D has released V4, which is fully 64 bit, the hobby looks to survive the exit of Microsoft. P3D is very CPU intensive, as are most games I guess. I won’t be doing 4k video until the prices come down to sane levels over the next few years.

    I have built my past 4 systems, usually 2 to 3 years apart.

    The thought is to take the old system here, the one I’m typing on now and replace the MB, CPU and Ram and dedicate it to reentering the Flight sim community over the near term. I’m retiring in the next few years and wish to start rebuilding my flight sim hardware and software back up so as to be able to migrate the entire environment to either this new system I’m building now or whatever comes down the road in a few years.

    Question: Given that I may delve into the world of overclocking for this flight sim build, which will be completely separate from my new build work system, would either of you, or anyone else, make a recommendation for a MB that has the best BIOS for a complete NOOB to OCing. I can then pick the CPU from those choices. I’m fairly good at taking time to read manuals, familiarize myself with processes and go slow and learn. My understanding is some MB’s and BIOS systems are better for a beginner than others to overclock.

    I have been reading a great deal on all this the past few weeks, trying to educate myself on the current state of hardware. When I get into the world of OCing, I get overwhelmed. All the parameters, the software, the benchmarks, the the stress testing, the various settings, delidding (a lid had a much different definition when I was 19) and SO MANY opinions I just am going to move at this VERY slowly.

    A good MB for a noob overclocker just seems a good place to begin. Any thoughts truly appreciated!
    Reply to Willin
  5. Your Pcpartpicker link is 404 and you didn't state present system.
    Reply to CountMike
  6. Best answer
    CountMike said:
    Your Pcpartpicker link is 404 and you didn't state present system.


    OK, thanks. Lets try this:

    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Willin/saved/#view=vpvJxr

    Here is my system now. Intel I7 950@3.07Ghz, 12G DDR3 1600 and here’s what I think is the issue, a GTX770 GPU. I have a great ASUS VE278Q monitor, good SSD storage and a 850w power supply.
    Reply to Willin
  7. Yeah, that proposed system would be much, much better than old one. Your problem with video making would be processor and with games GPU.
    Reply to CountMike
  8. Willin said:
    CountMike said:
    Your Pcpartpicker link is 404 and you didn't state present system.


    OK, thanks. Lets try this:

    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Willin/saved/#view=vpvJxr

    Here is my system now. Intel I7 950@3.07Ghz, 12G DDR3 1600 and here’s what I think is the issue, a GTX770 GPU. I have a great ASUS VE278Q monitor, good SSD storage and a 850w power supply.


    Ok, so your CPU looks really good, now if you are willing to spend about 475 bucks for a better GPU I could totally hook you up with one. If not, I have an extremely good GPU for about 250 US dollars ( I am assuming thats what you are paying in) that can record with no frames dropped.


    Reply to I might be a Pineapple
Ask a new question Answer