Solved

I can use less than 465GB on my drive

Hello, I have a Western Digital WD5000LPVX-55V0TT0 500GB drive which came with my sony vaio laptop, in which windows 8 was installed by default. Now that I have updated to windows 10, I don't really need windows 8 but I think that sony has put windows 8 in a file which I can't see cause my drive has 436,3gb on total instead of 465. I hate storage problems can someone help me with this?
Reply to Jazz-Kostas
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 465gb drive
  1. Jazz-Kostas said:
    Hello, I have a Western Digital WD5000LPVX-55V0TT0 500GB drive which came with my sony vaio laptop, in which windows 8 was installed by default. Now that I have updated to windows 10, I don't really need windows 8 but I think that sony has put windows 8 in a file which I can't see cause my drive has 436,3gb on total instead of 465. I hate storage problems can someone help me with this?


    You Updated the Win 8 to Win 10?
    If so, there is probably a Windows.old folder in there.
    This will go away by itself after 30 days.
    Or, you go through Disk Cleanup to delete it manually.

    Just to be sure, please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
    There might also be the original Sony Factory Reset partition on there.
    Reply to USAFRet
  2. USAFRet said:
    Jazz-Kostas said:
    Hello, I have a Western Digital WD5000LPVX-55V0TT0 500GB drive which came with my sony vaio laptop, in which windows 8 was installed by default. Now that I have updated to windows 10, I don't really need windows 8 but I think that sony has put windows 8 in a file which I can't see cause my drive has 436,3gb on total instead of 465. I hate storage problems can someone help me with this?


    You Updated the Win 8 to Win 10?
    If so, there is probably a Windows.old folder in there.
    This will go away by itself after 30 days.
    Or, you go through Disk Cleanup to delete it manually.

    Just to be sure, please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
    There might also be the original Sony Factory Reset partition on there.


    Hello USAFRet and thank you for helping me for another time. First of all there's no windows.old folder because I have updated since a long time ago. I forgot to mention that as also I forgot to upload a screenshot of my disks shown on disk defragment tool. Here it is:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1wKOnhTaxkRQlB4MS1OZ3BFT0E
    Reply to Jazz-Kostas
  3. Please show the whole Disk Management window.
    Thanks.
    Reply to USAFRet
  4. Check below the disk management window
    Reply to Jazz-Kostas
  5. That is not Disk Management. Looks like windows defragmenting tool.
    Here - how to open it:
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-disk-management-2626080
    Reply to SkyNetRising
  6. Ohhhh now I found it. Sorry but I couldn't find the disk management tool here check the drives:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1wKOnhTaxkRS2QtTGlhU1VNRGs
    Reply to Jazz-Kostas
  7. Best answer
    Right.
    That 26.21GB partition way over on the right is almost certainly the original Sony Factory Reset partition.

    You can probably get rid of it.
    Or, invoke whatever function Sony gives you to create a Factory Reset DVD set.
    Store those away, and then get rid of that partition.
    Reply to USAFRet
  8. USAFRet said:
    Right.
    That 26.21GB partition way over on the right is almost certainly the original Sony Factory Reset partition.

    You can probably get rid of it.
    Or, invoke whatever function Sony gives you to create a Factory Reset DVD set.
    Store those away, and then get rid of that partition.

    Ehmmm how? xD
    Sorry but I want to do it right so can you please give me instructions?


    EDIT: I found how on youtube it was pretty easy. Thanks for the help
    Reply to Jazz-Kostas
  9. Jazz-Kostas said:
    USAFRet said:
    Right.
    That 26.21GB partition way over on the right is almost certainly the original Sony Factory Reset partition.

    You can probably get rid of it.
    Or, invoke whatever function Sony gives you to create a Factory Reset DVD set.
    Store those away, and then get rid of that partition.

    Ehmmm how? xD
    Sorry but I want to do it right so can you please give me instructions?


    If you wish to create that Factory Reset DVD set, you have to look in the user manual for how to invoke that.
    And I strongly recommend you do this.

    This may even make that partition go away all by itself.

    Or, some 3rd party Partition management tool.
    Minitool Partition Wizard:
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/

    EaseUS Partition Master:
    http://www.partition-tool.com/
    Reply to USAFRet
  10. USAFRet said:
    Jazz-Kostas said:
    USAFRet said:
    Right.
    That 26.21GB partition way over on the right is almost certainly the original Sony Factory Reset partition.

    You can probably get rid of it.
    Or, invoke whatever function Sony gives you to create a Factory Reset DVD set.
    Store those away, and then get rid of that partition.

    Ehmmm how? xD
    Sorry but I want to do it right so can you please give me instructions?


    If you wish to create that Factory Reset DVD set, you have to look in the user manual for how to invoke that.
    And I strongly recommend you do this.

    This may even make that partition go away all by itself.

    Or, some 3rd party Partition management tool.
    Minitool Partition Wizard:
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/

    EaseUS Partition Master:
    http://www.partition-tool.com/


    Ok I need your help with something. I downloaded minitool partition and I want to merge this partition with my main partition (the drive) so from 436.1 I will be able to see 462.3 gb. I can't find how.. :(
    Reply to Jazz-Kostas
  11. Jazz-Kostas said:
    USAFRet said:
    Jazz-Kostas said:
    USAFRet said:
    Right.
    That 26.21GB partition way over on the right is almost certainly the original Sony Factory Reset partition.

    You can probably get rid of it.
    Or, invoke whatever function Sony gives you to create a Factory Reset DVD set.
    Store those away, and then get rid of that partition.

    Ehmmm how? xD
    Sorry but I want to do it right so can you please give me instructions?


    If you wish to create that Factory Reset DVD set, you have to look in the user manual for how to invoke that.
    And I strongly recommend you do this.

    This may even make that partition go away all by itself.

    Or, some 3rd party Partition management tool.
    Minitool Partition Wizard:
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/

    EaseUS Partition Master:
    http://www.partition-tool.com/


    Ok I need your help with something. I downloaded minitool partition and I want to merge this partition with my main partition (the drive) so from 436.1 I will be able to see 462.3 gb. I can't find how.. :(


    The two partitions need to be right next to each other.
    Think of them as physical yards in your neighborhood.
    You can only combine 2 yards that are right next to each other.
    A yard (or 2 in your case), in the middle, prevents merging them.

    So, you'll have to move that.

    But be very, very careful.
    I strongly advise you to have a full backup image of this drive before you go messing wit the partitions.
    It is relatively easy to screw it up.
    Reply to USAFRet
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Western Digital Sony Vaio Windows 8